GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Ran Sebring this weekend. Still not feeling the 3.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:38 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MTGTS
The heat was killer this weekend like Wes said. We're you trying to run the same tire psi's as well? Everything was just so hot by the time I got my tire psi adjusted I couldn't run consecutive hot laps. I didn't even bother running on Sun. I did have a lot of fun though.
My pressures were all over the place. I would bleed some off, only for them to get even hotter as the day wore on. It was really tough to regulate in that that heat. Like you said, it was a great day regardless. I only had one low drama spin so the day was a success

I wish the GT3 came with 18's. Very limited tire choices. I really like the stock wheels though so I'm apprehensive about changing them. Guess it's R888's or Sport Cups....

Old 08-16-2010, 08:53 PM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
Get some Hoosiers and call it day. The heat doesn't help either as all the components on the car are working so much harder, but give the 3 some time and you'll be happy with your new acquisition

Old 08-16-2010, 10:04 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
CCW's are a great option if you're looking for 18 inch wheels! They are forged aluminum, great quality, and the prices are reasonable for forged wheels.

Also this way, you wouldn't chew up the expensive track tires on the roads

Old 08-16-2010, 10:30 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Dog, +1 on what ErikG is saying. the heat will knock 3-5 seconds off your time for sure. Maybe those 4 year old Pirelli's are done for the track. The 19" Michelin Sport Cup's will not be any better. You have to go to 18" Michelin Sport Cups to get the real R-Comp Sport Cup. For 19" get the R888's. They are really not as bad as most say they are and I like the stiff sidewall myself but the RA1's are a little faster especially as the heat cycles grow.

Are you getting some 18" track wheels/tires and swap out the street wheels/tires like most of us do for these events? Are you also on stock brake pads too?

A stock 997.1 GT3 on 18" R-comps like RA1 or R888 and Pagid Yellow RS29 pads should be doing around 2:22-27 depending on summer or fall running.

With my 09 Carrera S on CCW 18's RA1's and Pagid RS29 Yellows I run anywhere from 2:28-31...the 28 was back in the spring time. I might be at the PBOC event so if you have any questions there are a lot of us around to help. I'm not saying I am king of Sebring but I will gladly ride with you anytime and you can ride with me. Best thing is to keep getting instructors to ride with you...or....hire a pro instructor like Chris Hall or Seth Thomas. I want to do this myself so if you ever want to split them for the day let me know.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Former Vendor
Sales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by deputydog95
I'm not sure what the deal is. Part of the problem is that I'm driving the car just like I drove my 996. Same corner speeds, same brake points, etc.. I'm also shifting too soon as I keep forgetting I have an extra 1000 rpm or so.

Ironically I'm running about 6-7 seconds slower in the GT3 than my 996. Sad, I know... I was running pretty consistent 232's in the 996 and I'm running 240 flat in the 3 with a best of 237. Weak!

Obviously it's me and not the car, because I have seen other GT3's out there killing it.

I did have it aligned after running Homestead but I still feel like I don't have the traction that I should. The 3 year old Pirelli's that the car came from the factory in probably aren't helping the situation. I just couldn't bear to scrap them as I got the car with 4k miles and they had a ton of tread. Two track days later and they don't have so much tread any more

Time for some R888's and then I'll run it again. Hopefully I can get this sorted.
Great, meeting you this weekend at Sebring. You have a beautiful car. I agree with most of the comments here. Tires degrade with age, as well as use especially under the harsh conditions this weekend. I followed you around a few corners at Sebring and your lines were good. Just seemed a bit hesistant on braking and throttle application, which I attribute to the car not inspiring much confidence with the setup. I didn't catch your alignment settings either, but they can make a huge difference as well.

I was trying to track you down, and ride passenger with you but time didn't permit on Sat. Hope we see you again soon.

If it's any consolation, my GT3 went from completely undrivable with the old stock tires, to very confidence inspiring with fresh rubber.

Sharif

Old 08-17-2010, 10:37 AM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Sharif,

I have followed him around on the track before @ Sebring and he got his 996 around really well. I think it is more of the new car $$$$$ and the handling being off.

If you get CCW 18's you can run RA1 245/40 18 front and 305/35 18 rears and that should keep your front to back diameters correct. The + of running RA1's is they are decent full tread to drive to the track and back home. Ian wasn't even supposed to be driving the GT2 but his Mini broke so I just took the floor mats and misc gear out of the GT2 set the RA1 tire pressures and off he went.

Peter

Old 08-17-2010, 11:28 AM
ErikG is on a distinguished road
Hey Sharif, I want a rematch at Sebring :-). Kicked my *** at RA, but at least at Sebring I have a couple of laps in.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ErikG
Hey Sharif, I want a rematch at Sebring :-). Kicked my *** at RA, but at least at Sebring I have a couple of laps in.
Hey Erik, lets do. It's always a lot of fun lapping with other 3's.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:23 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jenk12m
Get some Hoosiers and call it day. The heat doesn't help either as all the components on the car are working so much harder, but give the 3 some time and you'll be happy with your new acquisition
AMEN! Jenk is on the money though, although i'm liking my NT01's i'm over driving them as i'm use to Hoosiers or my Dunlop slicks...

BTW, when int he hell did you get a GT3? Have I really lost touch that much? Damn

BTW x 2, CONGRATS man, enjoy it in the best of health.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:58 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
AMEN! Jenk is on the money though, although i'm liking my NT01's i'm over driving them as i'm use to Hoosiers or my Dunlop slicks...

BTW, when int he hell did you get a GT3? Have I really lost touch that much? Damn

BTW x 2, CONGRATS man, enjoy it in the best of health.
It's a fairly recent purchase (last 2 months) so don't feel like you're out of the loop.

I decided to throw some fresh 19" R888's on there and see what happens. They should be arriving next week and I'm hoping to be at Sebring the week after to "test" them out

Thanks for the well wishes.