GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

996 Cup shift cable to the fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 01:01 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Smile 996 Cup shift cable to the fix

I had alot of problem finding 3rd gear from 2nd under hard acceleration and high G load. Firmer WEVO engine mount helped some but the pesty problem persist. It was especially noticeable flying up the straight at Laguna Seca after T11 and also attempting 1/4 drag ... super embarrassing when you can find 3rd gear .

To fix this problem I have to change out our flimsy factory setup with plastic connecting ends and thin metal shift cable which can lead to unwanted flex under hard acceleration which makes it hard for to find the proper gears. I decided to get the thicker 996 Cup cable with ALL metal ends to eliminate any play. I kept the factory shifter assembly to provide some vibration damping from the powertrain.

The first thing I noticed after getting the 996 Cup cable is how heavy they are and the metal cable is super thick. I got my 996 Cup cable and components from TRG. Here is the parts numbers with price and diagram

#10 – 996.424.040.75 $486
#6 – 996.424.145.9A $17.40
#7 – 900.169.015.02 $15.22

OK, I love to take credit for DIY on this project ... but not this time. One thing that prevented me from doing a DIY install is because I hate working with interior parts - all the blind clips and retainers just drive me bonker. I could not get the shift boot off to get started with the project. I call Niello Porsche service manager Jim Webber for help and he told me to come over and pop the boot off in less than a minute. Needless to say I handed him the Cup cable and went home sipping tea and watch ALMS on Speed

You can e-mail Jim at jwebber@niello.com for install questions. It is not an easy DIY at all - it require couple hours of work from a well trained technician to do this right. What you can do to help make this easy for your tech is remove the center shift console. I will list the steps below for center console removal and couple pictures of the 996 Cup cable vs OEM for reference.

OK, first carefully pop the shift boot off with plastic wedge from both sides - take care not to break the clip or damage the surrounding plastic trim. This is what the underside of the shift boot look like.

One retaining clips on each side and two at the front of the boot ... stubborn buggers to pop lose!

Twist the neck of the shift boot 90 degrees clockwise then pull hard on the shift **** to pop it lose - careful not to hit yourself in the face with the ****

Remove the carpet ends behind the radio/Nav console by losing two T30 screws - you have to feel it out, it's kind of hidden (this is why I hate working with interior trims)

Remove the connector on the passenger side for the 12V power outlet

Remove the two bolts holding the radio/Nav console side plate and pop it out. It's held on by 3 clips

Now let's remove the center shifter console. It has two layers of plastic covers on top of the shift lever. You need to remove them all ... kind of like peeling onion.

First black trim is held on by couple retaining clips - carefully unclip it by pulling up on each sides

Unscrew the 4 bolts holding the next plastic trim and you are ready to remove the sport switch cover

Gently pull out the cover. The sport switch section can be easily disconnected from the tray below

Remove the plastic cover below the parking brake handle to expose the retaining screw

... and the ones right behind the parking brake handle under the flip up compartment

Rotate and disconnect the electric connector from retainer for the center console. Humm ... BMW plug. Remove the screw at the very end of the center console

Gently guide the shift console out. I removed both seats to make it easier but you don't need to remove the seat ... what a PITA! Now the hardest part is done. Hand your key to your trusted technician for the next easy step -installation of 996 Cup cable

Last edited by mikymu; 09-21-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:02 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Jim Webber and his crew at Niello Porsche took great care of my RS and install the 996 Cup cables. Let's take a look at the Cup cable vs OEM for comparison

Wish I have a lift like this ...

All metal ends on the 996 Cup cable connecting to the shift lever

... vs the plastic ends on factory shift cable

996 Cup cable thickness vs factory. The loose cables are factory and it's about 30-40% thinner compare with Cup cables.

996 Cup cable transmission ends

... vs factory

Driving impression

The first thing I notice is how crisp the throw is with each gear. It's either in or out and no guessing. The effort to shift is slightly increased and more vibration is transmitted to the shift lever. There are alot more humming noise to the cabin especially you are in neutral or when you release the tension of the shift cable such as operating the clutch.

Most importantly - how does the shift feel on the track and did we solve the 2nd to 3rd gear problem? Well, I had a chance to test this out at Laguna Seca. Very happy to report I had ZERO problem going from 2nd to 3rd under hard acceleration and high G force. I am very happy with this mod and recommend to those of you seeking a more precise shifting experience.

Here is a video of the 996 Cup shift cable test at Laguna Seca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0x9haMVaWA

Last edited by mikymu; 10-01-2010 at 12:32 AM.