GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Centerlock VS. Standard 5 bolt wheels ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pfan12000
so the tech1 wheels in 9x19 weighs 7.9kg or about 18lbs? That means a 6 lb per wheel saving for the fronts?
You are correct. The rears are 9.6 kgs. So the overall weight savings are substantial.
The total vehicle weight savings on a GT3 RS are approximately 28 lbs. This has an amazing positive impact on vehicle acceleration, braking, ride comfort, tire adhesion, traction, driver confidence, etc.
Another example is the Nissan GT-R. It has 20 inch, 26 lb wheels in front and 27 lb wheels in the rear. The correct forged wheels can reduce this to 19 and 20 lbs respectively. Go to 19s and make that 18 and 19 respectively. That saves over 30 lbs of unsprung weight. HOWEVER, switch to NON run-flat tires and you will save an additional 40 lbs of unsprung weight for a total of 70 lbs reduction.
This will have an INCREDIBLE difference in vehicle performance.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:22 AM
PyroKerry has a spectacular aura aboutPyroKerry has a spectacular aura about
I've just ordered a 997.2 Turbo S and at the last minute I deleted the free center lock option and went with the 5 bolt wheels. It was throwing away a $3800 option, that is free on the 'S'. It was a very hard decision to make, but I track a lot, the car will be a real DD, and so I am taking the wheels on and off a lot. From the sounds of these posts, I feel a little better about my decision.

Mike, are the Tech1 wheels a good track option - a strong wheel?

Old 11-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PyroKerry
I've just ordered a 997.2 Turbo S and at the last minute I deleted the free center lock option and went with the 5 bolt wheels. It was throwing away a $3800 option, that is free on the 'S'. It was a very hard decision to make, but I track a lot, the car will be a real DD, and so I am taking the wheels on and off a lot. From the sounds of these posts, I feel a little better about my decision.

Mike, are the Tech1 wheels a good track option - a strong wheel?
PyroKerry,
Many of our Tech1s wind up as track wheels. They are 100% TUV compliant, perfectly load rated and weight optimized for the vehicle, and have a lifetime structural warranty.
BTW, I think you made the right decision to delete the centerlocks from a performance standpoint (irony?), especially since you intend to track the car.

Attached Images   
Old 11-19-2010, 04:04 PM
kkilmore89 is a name known to allkkilmore89 is a name known to allkkilmore89 is a name known to allkkilmore89 is a name known to allkkilmore89 is a name known to allkkilmore89 is a name known to all
I thought it was made for a couple purposes:

1. stronger since its one hole in the center instead of a couple smaller holes
2. Quicker change. Of course requires a special tool. You only have to have one bolt vs 5 bolts. Watch some LM race cars change there tires. Not sure if other ones have them but I know LM cars to for a fact.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by kkilmore89
I thought it was made for a couple purposes:

1. stronger since its one hole in the center instead of a couple smaller holes
2. Quicker change. Of course requires a special tool. You only have to have one bolt vs 5 bolts. Watch some LM race cars change there tires. Not sure if other ones have them but I know LM cars to for a fact.
There is no question that a centerlock wheel can be changed very quickly.
It is the main purpose of the centerlock design.
However, I have watched the NASCAR teams change wheels (all 5-lug) and I can't imagine how it could be done more quickly.
As to the strength of the wheel, spreading the load over a larger 5-lug back-pad actually allows the wheel to be made lighter, thereby improving the strength-to-weight ratio.
But the Centerlocks are very cool looking.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:27 AM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
I have RS .1 and RS .2 and the only advantage of CL is the cool looking factor.
Thats all .

Old 11-20-2010, 02:56 PM
bperry is on a distinguished road
Trust me, the Coolness factor wears off quickly when you have to ask your wife to come out to the garage to help you change your tires.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:53 PM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
Don't you have to buy a BIG A$$ torque wrench for the CL wheels to tighten them properly? And it's not cheap either.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:33 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bperry
Trust me, the Coolness factor wears off quickly when you have to ask your wife to come out to the garage to help you change your tires.

to make it even worse they came out with a special bulletin about tourqing your wheels in 3 steps.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-torqued.html

Old 11-20-2010, 09:05 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
that's why you need to get a few mistresses. dont want to wear one out too quickly....

meanwhile i am training my 6 year old to do the track thing with me. she helps a lot.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:33 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
jijijiji correct....

Old 11-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Rob T is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by luiscarlos
I have RS .1 and RS .2 and the only advantage of CL is the cool looking factor.
Thats all .

.....and that's plenty!

Old 11-21-2010, 10:28 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Millions of dollars are spent on after market wheels because they look better. CL rims look better too and that is why they will be a big hit in the market place.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:27 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mooty
meanwhile i am training my 6 year old to do the track thing with me. she helps a lot.
I still to this day believe that is why my parents had me....I was my dads gofer for everything.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:32 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
I still to this day believe that is why my parents had me....I was my dads gofer for everything.
max at 2 has mastered taking my dirty clothes and stuff them in the washer.
mia now can wax on and off.
tells mommy not to eat in any of daddy's cars.
daddys' car doesn't do music.
and if you say "porsche", she will "there is no substitute"....
this kid is good.
although cannot recognize models yet, she can tell you these brands by logo.
porsche
ferrari
chevy
bmw
mbz
honda
lexus
toyota
lamborghini
mustang often confused with ferrari due to the "horse" logo....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Centerlock VS. Standard 5 bolt wheels ???