GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Shake down of Cup and mikymu at Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Windchaser911 is on a distinguished road
Look like you had a blast!

Old 08-14-2011, 11:02 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Looking good! If you're not spinning... you're not pushing yourself. It's okay. That's part of the learning curve... most never even have the gonads to go beyond what they are comfortable. Just be sure to push it in areas without walls haha. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, getting better at driving the Cup car but still alot more to learn. How do you like your Spyder. I am tempted to get one too

Originally Posted by Windchaser911
Look like you had a blast!
Oh yeah ... and want more

Old 08-15-2011, 02:56 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikymu
Not a good idea to go w/o ABS for street GT3. ABS is a great addition as far as safety goes

All 997 Cup are without ABS. Only 996 Cup has ABS and they work pretty well too.

Yeah, I think I will eventually go without ABS or with Cup ABS because the street car ABS (at least 996) is trash. I would just pull the fuse and then reinsert it in harsh conditions. Plus in the 996's they are prone to failure anyways. I would rather be prepared for no ABS than completely blindsided like I was when mine went out.

I guess I should rephrase, what is the learning curve like when going from ABS to non ABS?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Banned
gt2urbo will become famous soon enoughgt2urbo will become famous soon enough
I thought newer model 997 cups had abs standard?

Old 08-15-2011, 01:02 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Yeah, I think I will eventually go without ABS or with Cup ABS because the street car ABS (at least 996) is trash. I would just pull the fuse and then reinsert it in harsh conditions. Plus in the 996's they are prone to failure anyways. I would rather be prepared for no ABS than completely blindsided like I was when mine went out.

I guess I should rephrase, what is the learning curve like when going from ABS to non ABS?
Steep ... very steep my friend. If you feel your ABS lock up on the track then count that as a set of corded flat spot tires AKA $2K out of the window. You have to drive extremly carefully as not to EVER lock up the tires. If your tire lock up them pump the brakes to avoid flat spot - which is imposibble to remember on the track when we are int he OMG mode lol

Originally Posted by gt2urbo
I thought newer model 997 cups had abs standard?
Nope ... 996 Cup has ABS but not 997 Cup. Porsche sign a contract with Micheline to encourage more tire consumption by taking out ABS

Old 08-18-2011, 11:21 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hotness!

Old 08-18-2011, 02:44 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Steep ... very steep my friend. If you feel your ABS lock up on the track then count that as a set of corded flat spot tires AKA $2K out of the window. You have to drive extremly carefully as not to EVER lock up the tires. If your tire lock up them pump the brakes to avoid flat spot - which is imposibble to remember on the track when we are int he OMG mode lol

Nope ... 996 Cup has ABS but not 997 Cup. Porsche sign a contract with Micheline to encourage more tire consumption by taking out ABS

LOL, 2k in slicks = a few hundred bucks in scrubs (or none if you are a tire hoarder like me). Thanks for the advise, it will be well heeded. Post more vids when you get back out.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Tinker is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like a lot of fun.
Agree about the step learning curve, but it's that way with any new car.
What is your lap time difference at Thunder Hill for your old RS vs. Cup?

Enjoy in good health.

Tinker

Old 08-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Oh man, that looks like SO much fun! I'm glad you're out there enjoying your 997 Cup in good health.

That sequential gearbox makes the most frightening noises though, particularly on downshifts. That must be crazy to get used to all the things related to the gearbox!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
thanks for the video

what actually happened when you spun? why could you not get the car into proper gear?

Old 08-24-2011, 07:14 PM
whis9 is on a distinguished road
nice video, l am so jealous

Old 08-25-2011, 06:57 PM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
No offense but you would really see a huge improvement if you would hire a pro for a day of coaching. You need to learn how to blip on the downshifts otherwise the tranny will be destroyed very quickly. Also, you should upshift only when you see the warning lights.

BTW there is an adjustment of the shifter cable (right where the cable meet the shifter) you can roll either way when you can't get in a gear.

Last edited by GT3Techno; 08-25-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:52 PM
anotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud of
Awesome video. HD on the big screen is pretty sweet... Have to watch that a few times over.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:20 AM
Thanks guys. Yes, still alot to learn. I spun because I stand on the none ABS brakes and lock up the wheels ... out of excitement

Old 08-26-2011, 08:01 AM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
Thanks guys. Yes, still alot to learn. I spun because I stand on the none ABS brakes and lock up the wheels ... out of excitement
Locking up the wheels won't induce a spin in a straight line. You may have done too much weight transfer and upsetting the balance with unmatched revs (no blipping) while initiating the turning in. Abrupt turn in "surprise" the car. Try to do the initial turn in smoothly so the suspension is loaded before pointing to the apex and work on the blip. To help making it easier try to finish your downshift and braking before turn-in until you master it.

I went thru all this myself... absolutely normal progression. BTW you may consider a blipper. PMNA has one now and all the pros and semi-pros have it now.

Last edited by GT3Techno; 08-26-2011 at 08:59 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shake down of Cup and mikymu at Thunderhill