Old 05-06-2005, 07:27 AM
Honored Member

W8MM will become famous soon enough
"Raising Ride Height" - Carrera GT

I just received a 2-page fax from my Porsche dealer, dated 5-3-05:

Vehicle Type: Carrera GT (980)

Model Year: As of 2004

Concern: Raising vehicle ride height

Information: To reduce the risk of the vehicle underside bottoming out and/or getting high centered on uneven roads, speed bumps, steep angle driveways or parking garage entrances, the chassis on the Carrera GT can be raised.

Front axle: 10 mm /rear axle 9 mm

This is done by installing longer push rods on front and rear and increasing the spring preload (on rear only). The spring preload is modified by turning the concave washer clockwise by three turns. Raising the chassis does not affect driving behavior in normal driving conditions.

Parts Information:

Part Number 000.044.500.40 - Push rod set

Set includes:

980.343.257.04 (1) Front axle push rod, left
980.343.258.04 (1) Front axle push rod, right
980.333.257.04 (1) Rear axle push rod, left
980.333.258.04 (1) Rear axle push rod, right
900.817.003.02 (4) Lock nut (M10), upper push rod
999.084.016.02 (2) Lock nut (M10), lower front push rod
900.380.008.09 (2) Hexagon nut (M10), lower rear push rod

(now comes a tool list and some work procedures which I am too lazy to transcribe)

Vehicle height, DIN empty (mm)

Raised Ride Height / Standard Ride Height

Without underbody panels:

Front 141 mm / 131 mm
Rear 168 mm / 159 mm

With underbody panels:

Front 102 mm / 92 mm
Rear 119 mm /110 mm

Working Time:

Labor Operation - 44 95 31 00

Description - Vehicle modified front and rear

This includes: Removing and installing 4 wheels, Removing and installing 4 push rods, Adjusting rear vehicle height. Without: Performing suspension alignment and adjusting vehicle.

Time Units - 250 TU

Last edited by W8MM; 05-06-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:10 AM
amirgt2 is on a distinguished road
It's funny, Porsche went to all this touble to produce the PCCC so they can lower the center of gravity on the car and now they want to raise it back up to avoid bottoming out. Talk about one step forward and two steps back. Why didn't they think about this in advance and put in a switch to raise and lower the front of the car a la the Enzo and Murcielago?

Amir

Old 05-06-2005, 09:22 AM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
Are you going to raise your car?

Old 05-06-2005, 10:34 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by amirgt2
It's funny, Porsche went to all this touble to produce the PCCC so they can lower the center of gravity on the car and now they want to raise it back up to avoid bottoming out. Talk about one step forward and two steps back. Why didn't they think about this in advance and put in a switch to raise and lower the front of the car a la the Enzo and Murcielago?

Amir
10 mm is just a tiny fraction of the lowered center of gravity resulting from the PCCC. but yes, a switch would have been much nicer.

this is terrific news, however, not just any dealer can handle this operation. i don't even think either of our dealers can align a CGT. if there was a dealer relatively close that was capable of performing this, i'd do it in a second.

Old 05-06-2005, 12:04 PM
996turbo will become famous soon enough
I love it.....Porsche selling a kit to 'RAISE' their car!!!

Old 05-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by 996turbo
i'm just surprised tire air isn't an option

Old 05-06-2005, 12:56 PM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by 996turbo
Didn't you see the order guide? It was in there under code SWMPMNSTR

Old 05-06-2005, 01:35 PM
amirgt2 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by MJC123
Are you going to raise your car?
Matt,

I'm not sure if you are asking me or Ben that question but I for one am not.

Amir

Old 05-06-2005, 05:42 PM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by ben, lj
i'm just surprised tire air isn't an option
Any estimate what the total cost would be? I gather it will be out of the owners pocket.

It seems to me unfair that Porsche sells a car which they acknowledge in this fax that their design could lead to serious damage and expect the owner to pay for it. However, I am not surprised. Owners will not put up a fight. Porsche knows their customer base very well.

Old 05-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by nberry
Any estimate what the total cost would be? I gather it will be out of the owners pocket.

It seems to me unfair that Porsche sells a car which they acknowledge in this fax that their design could lead to serious damage and expect the owner to pay for it. However, I am not surprised. Owners will not put up a fight. Porsche knows their customer base very well.
if you think that's bad, you should check this out:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17439

afterwards doing a little research on cases ferrari has lost but not paid in the state of california as regards the 7 yr emissions warranty.

there are actually several known defective items in fcars which can cost expensive damage which ferrari has decided to blow off paying for - in warranty!

btw, doesn't it strike you just the least bit funny that 15k services with less than 15k miles routinely run over $10k on 360s? case in point, look at the litany of things gone bad on this low mileage 360:

" Need Help! Is my dealer trying to rip me off?

I won't mention names, Yet... I brought my 2000 360 in for the 15k timing belt service, and this is what I got. Over $10,000 to fix it! They told me the following was wrong with the car. New Timing belt, Broken Tentioner, Needs new Clutch and Flywheel, Throttle Bearing, Timing Variators both broken??, Alternator ... 5 hours to install an alternator!!!!!, The car has been running fine, Clutch is still firm, no starting issues, WTF!"

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthr...ht=15k+service

this one is pretty telling too:

and:

it's strikes me as a bit hard for fcar folks to comment negative re: **** reaming at the dealership for pcar owners.

Last edited by ben, lj; 05-06-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:27 PM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
Ben I have no idea what this thread has to do with Ferrari.

Rather than attack Ferrari, look out your own pocket book. Step up and either fight Porsche for their negligence in design or pay the freight to make your CGT driveable. What repairs are required to a Ferrari has absolutely nothing to do with your issue.

However if you find solace in attacking Ferrari to overcome your frustration with the ride height of your car then so be it.

Old 05-06-2005, 08:43 PM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
If one cant use the car at standard ride height, then they are buying the wrong car, just my opinion, my main concern about driving a CGT would be damaging the Carbon, not a cheap fix.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:03 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
If the car hits everything while just driving around then it isn't a street car. We originally had KA set with a 3/8" inch clearance up front. It didn't take too very long before we had her raised another one and a quarter inches. Everything has it's trade offs.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:16 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
If the car hits everything while just driving around then it isn't a street car. We originally had KA set with a 3/8" inch clearance up front. It didn't take too very long before we had her raised another one and a quarter inches. Everything has it's trade offs.
Wow, that's LOWWWWW...And I thought it was hard to get a jack that worked with sub-4" cars!

Old 05-06-2005, 09:22 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Originally posted by amirgt2
I think that's actually a fine idea to incorporate into [any] sports car design, is often overlooked, and perhaps in the near future it can be an electronic sensor-controlled element rather than an either/or situation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Raising Ride Height" - Carrera GT