GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Help! Trailer / tow vehicle questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:03 PM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GRGx3
Also check to see if the max is with a weight distributed hitch. Just my 2 cents...
Good point. Can't use a weight distributing hitch with a Trailex (or any other all aluminum trailer as far as I know).

Old 12-28-2011, 03:10 PM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
5,000lb capacity is really a bit too low. I went through the same decision process a year ago and decided to get a TDI Touareg. Excellent mileage (19MPG towing) and 7,000lb capacity. I found a used Trailex 8045 and it works great. Check the various forums and the PCA classifieds.

Pic of my rig attached.

Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2011, 09:30 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
great thread, some good setups here. Loved the one alum trailer on page 1. useful and simple. as for the full trailer Id love that have it. Could make for a great place to sleep on over night two days track events. Just crash inside the trailer if it begins to rain or gets damp while camping at the track. also I think if you encounter rain on the drive back home or in tow the car and wheels are nice and clean all the way.

many good uses for a trailer. saves kms and so many options on storing all your track gear. avoid speeding tickets on the route to the track and then the bottom line is if your decked out with the trailer and truck may as well go for the hardcore track life and get the cup.

I need to start thinking about it full on myself, trailer is seriously the only way to go

Old 12-29-2011, 10:28 PM
drl
drl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to beholddrl is a splendid one to behold
My vote goes to cargo van for tow vehicle. Not very glamorous but offers ample storage space, and cozy for sleeping in the night before an event.

Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
great idea, nice setup you have there. looks perfect for track

Old 12-30-2011, 08:34 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lopro
trailer is seriously the only way to go
Agreed 100%, I love my aluminum trailer, very light, and easy to tow. I have had a few issues with my car at the track, that would have not allowed me to get it it home unless I had a trailer.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:17 AM
then there is always that problem, if you end up ditching the car or break something your screwed without the trailer.

Besides I dont know how anyones able to get the car to the track with a spair set of wheels? In the past I had to have a freind hold onto my wheels because he had a truck. When he came i just asked him to bring my slick setup. What are people doing for slicks? I have not bought a trailer but it seems like the only way to go at it full steam.

another question is what wench are most people using to pull it up into the trailer???
if you break a driveshaft for example ??

Van or truck can be so usefull for other things outside of car/track life aswell. I think I have to make a decission soon on taking it to the next level. Bring a generator and enjoy a nice night of camping inbetween days of driving. Spair tires, Trailer shelter and storage for all my stuff. Starting to sound like the only way to play it.