GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Help! Trailer / tow vehicle questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:04 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Help! Trailer / tow vehicle questions

I'll hopefully be completing a purchase of a dedicated track car soon ('04 996) and starting to think about trailers - of which I know NOTHING about.

I've done some reading and have narrowed my choices to Featherlite 3110 and Trailex.

I believe the following is true, but please correct me if i'm wrong:

Trailex is about 400lbs lighter
Trailex is more $ (is this for the "base" trailer or similar options)
most seem to prefer trailex' tire rack to FL

Now, the big question - tow vehicle. Can I use an '05 MB ML500? towing capacity is 5,000lbs.

I've read some of the MB forums and it seems that people are using this without issue. I went to a local FL dealer and they asked what I was going to use. I told them and they asked the capacity. I said 5K and they thought it would increase to 7K with MB OEM hitch. I called MB dealer and they said no, still 5K. FL dealer said 7K is minimum and they would not sell/title new trailer if this was the vehicle I was using.

IS this right? Are they going to check/research when I come to pick up the trailer? If I can use the MB does the weight savings of the trailex outweigh the extra cost for me?

Finally, if the MB will work what options are essential for the trailer? I guess the only thing i'm thinking about are tire rack (other option is to put inside tow vehicle). Winch? For the trailex the closed floor is an option. how much weight do you think this will add? closed floor important to you?

Have seen some trailers on the used market but looks like i've just missed out on a few, or they are on the other side of the country.

Finally, what type of discount could I expect from FL or trailex if buying new?

Old 12-24-2011, 05:13 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
So going the dedicated track car route, eh Chris? Can't help on the trailer itself, but as far as necessary accessories....think this one is in order.

Merry X-mas!

Old 12-24-2011, 09:56 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Thanks Ed!

Old 12-24-2011, 10:05 PM
ASHRAF is a jewel in the roughASHRAF is a jewel in the roughASHRAF is a jewel in the roughASHRAF is a jewel in the rough
it would be great to read some tips here as I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP as far as trailer options

I plan on using an Escalade to tow, and even that doesn't seem to be the advised setup, I may have get myself a real truck

please keep the info and tips coming, and good luck with your research OP

-AJ

Old 12-25-2011, 12:11 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I tow a similar trailer, and the rule that I found is you shouldn't exceed 75% of the maximum capacity of your tow vehicle. In your case if your load is 3750lbs or below, you should be good.

I tow with my Touareg, it has a 7700lb capacity, and my load, trailer, car, extras, etc is roughly 5000lbs and I don't have any issues. Incase you are wondering, capacity isn't just the strength of the engine, it also takes into account chassis, brakes, transmission cooling, suspension.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:45 AM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Just use a twin turbo. This thing has no idea anything is attached to its a$$ unless is close to or over 15K lbs. 18-22 foot enclosed and you'll be set.

Last edited by VID997; 12-25-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:21 PM
trailex trailer is 845 lbs. let's call it 1,000 with tire rack etc. let's call car 3,000 lbs.

Am I ok with 4,000 lbs with the MB that has a capacity of 5,000lbs?

Old 12-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
I think another issue with the ML is the wheelbase. it is shorter then the GL, for instance. You lose stability, especially in an emergency situation. I use to use a Land Rover LR3 with a 7700 tow max and air suspension. It was great for the open trailer but when I went enclosed, it wasn't enough.

If you like MB then maybe consider the newer GL350 Bluetec with tow package and air suspension.

Now I use this. Works like a charm:

Old 12-25-2011, 10:03 PM
anotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud of
Had a similar decision - Featherlite or Trailex.

I ended up going with the Featherlite 3110. It's a little bit heavier, but it was available locally and had a solid floor. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. THe one drawback with the Featherlite is that it has torsion rods instead of leaf springs. That means it can only accomodate 6' ramps. That created a problem with my GT3 RS. I had to purchase some Race Ramps http://www.raceramps.com/trailer-ramps-5.aspx to help get the car up on the trailer.

I use Rennline front tow hooks http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Fro...oductinfo/E32/ and added some A-track with some Macs Tie Downs to help keep the car down (You'll have to call Macs and give them the specs as they make them to order with what you need).

The Featherlite Tire rack was too tall for my taste and I didn't like the construction, so I measured the width, called Trailex, and they shipped me a tire rack http://www.trailex.com/options2.cfm?id=45 . I also implemented my own solution for keeping the tires positioned ($7 in PVC instead of the $99 for two aluminum plates/springs).

I tow with an Expedition and have over 2,000 miles travelled so far with no issues. I've seen others tow the same package with an X5 (Featherlite/GT3). There are definitely benefits with going with a tow vehicle that has a longer wheelbase. I'm considering an X5 but then again, an F250 looks pretty stout and may also be a serious consideration.

Here are a bunch of pics of my setup. Hopefully it will give you some ideas or guidance on what direction you want to go.

Last edited by anotherswordfis; 12-26-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:07 PM
ASHRAF is a jewel in the roughASHRAF is a jewel in the roughASHRAF is a jewel in the roughASHRAF is a jewel in the rough
that's an awesome setup!

I'm actually in the market for something similar, it'll be towing a GTR tho, so the setup will be slightly different

Thanks for sharing the info

-AJ

Old 12-26-2011, 08:10 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by anotherswordfis
THe one drawback with the Featherlite is that it has torsion rods instead of leaf springs.
The torsion springs are actually much better than leaf springs, handling wise. But yeah, it means you have to carry raceramps, or boards, or some kind of ramp extenders. No biggie.

That's actually A-track you have installed, not e-track. Nice setup.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:15 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by E55AMG
Now, the big question - tow vehicle. Can I use an '05 MB ML500? towing capacity is 5,000lbs.
Should be ok. What you normally have to watch out for is tongue weight, not towing capacity. The internets tells me that the ML500 has a 500# tongue weight capacity, so you should be good (4000# load / 10% tongue weight = 400#).

Old 12-26-2011, 08:51 PM
GRGx3 is on a distinguished road
If you exceed your vehicles rated towing capacity and are involved in an accident your insurance may not cover you. I have towed a boat for 25 years, my experience has been the closer you are to the max rating the sooner the transmission and brakes go. Last truck I had went through brakes every year, I was within 200 pounds of max, boat trailer has electric brakes on it. Trans went at 80K. Also check to see if the max is with a weight distributed hitch. Just my 2 cents...

Old 12-26-2011, 09:36 PM
anotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud ofanotherswordfis has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mousecatcher
The torsion springs are actually much better than leaf springs, handling wise. But yeah, it means you have to carry raceramps, or boards, or some kind of ramp extenders. No biggie.

That's actually A-track you have installed, not e-track. Nice setup.
You are correct on both. I was only implying that the byproduct of the torsion rods was the shorter ramps. I prefer the torsion rods.

Thanks for the A-track correction.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:59 PM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
PCA members often get a discount from Trailex. Call Trailex and talk to Carl Carbon, he's a good guy and the National Sales Manager.

I've towed the same Trailex enclosed trailer since 2006. My Merc GL320cdi is the best tow vehicle I ever drove (7000# rating). Over 17,000 miles towing the trailer, including 4 round trips from NE Ohio to Sebring, Fl. I average 15 mpg compared to 9 mpg for the 3/4 ton Avalanche or Tahoe that I previously used.

Does the ML500 have the hitch receiver already installed? Don't forget the electronic brake controller.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! Trailer / tow vehicle questions