GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997.1 GT3RS stability @ high speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 03:30 PM
jaxxonR8 will become famous soon enough
997.1 GT3RS stability @ high speed

My car is new to me, or should I say I'm new to my car? I have had my car up in the 150's w/no issues (but not making any turns or lane changing) I'm used to being at speed as I've had other fast cars and live in a rural area and know many of the cops.

Ok, this time I ran the car up the the gears (mainly just to hear the sweet sounding exhaust) then, well I had an experience I did not expect. I was on a downhill section of a two-lane rural highway and came up on a slower moving car (really?) and had to go around the car (obviously) and my car felt very unstable and twitchy at around 135...

It felt as I almost drifted into the car I was passing. Were my steering inputs to drastic for this car or does it tend to be a sensitive car at high speeds? I'm the second owner w 5k on the clock and it does seem to be lower than stock and may have a race spec alignment, but I don't think so... I'm gonna slow down till I get this bear on the track and see whats up... J

Old 08-01-2012, 05:22 PM
MrChan is on a distinguished road
This car is very stable at speed (130mph+) when there is no dramatic input changes, on the track. It tends to affect by high cross wind more than some of the lower profile cars. The steering is sensitive to alignment, and off alignment makes the car drives funny. The NSX can have higher tolerance on mis alignment and the car still turn in nice and stable.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:13 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing I can add is that if you are driving at, around or above 135 on rural roads - especially with other traffic - you're a frickin menace. Sorry but you need to grow up before you hurt or kill some unsuspecting normal driver.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:42 PM
DT007 is on a distinguished road
No they are very stable.

Your driving is not which is why it felt that way. For the sake of others please don't drive like this on roads pass or around others.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:56 AM
911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !
I can't believe that you'd overtake a car at 135mph. What if that was your mother, father, wife, children in that car. You need to reevaluate why it is that you own your gt3.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:23 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
Jaxxon,

from what youre describing, i'de bet your alignment is off.
my car does the same thing when my camber in the rear is off on one or both sides.
also, make sure tire pressure is the same left to right..
also, make sure you STAY ON THROTTLE when turning, or swerving.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:57 AM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
In order, quick check of:
- tire pressures
- how old are tires, are they matched and do they have sufficient tread (yes, i've seen mismatched tires on GT3's before)
- alignment
- nut behind the wheel (both steering inputs and speed on public roads)

To join the line of finger waggers 135 on public roads, regardless of who you know, is nuts. Aside from the unwilling participants in your speed adventures (other drivers), I have to imagine there are critters given you live in a rural area. Ever seen what happens to a car when it hits a deer or raccoon at 60, let alone 135? Find a track in your area and drive "flat out"

Old 08-02-2012, 12:08 PM
JonnyD330 is on a distinguished road
Driving 100+ on public roads is not a good idea, I would recommend finding a track to do that on.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by denversteve
The only thing I can add is that if you are driving at, around or above 135 on rural roads - especially with other traffic - you're a frickin menace. Sorry but you need to grow up before you hurt or kill some unsuspecting normal driver.
Well I'm normally strictly a track only guy, I gave up road racing sportbikes last season and only bought the GT3RS for running at Road America (near my house), I have a membership at Autobahn CC and will run it at my favorite track (Putnam Park) as much as possible. My GT3RS will soon be not legal on the street anyway. IMO why even own any hyper-fast/handling, two clicks to a race car or race bike for the public roadway? It makes no sense to me as there is always the possibility of "killing some unsuspecting driver"

It was a one or two time [run it up through the gears, just got the car dealio] So Mr. Sunshine on my Shoulders, you waited to get on the gas until you got to the track? If so, you have a lot more restraint than 90% of us on this site. These cars run up to 135 before you know it...

So yes it's the last time I'll get on it on the street BUT I will never grow up.

Now back to the twitchiness, thanks Steve K ny's for your alignment hypothesis - The GT3RS is getting an RSS adjustable rear link and rear tow kit, a 2-peice lower control arm kit and with that obviously a track spec alignment... so that stuff should iron the alignment theory out.

Last edited by jaxxonR8; 08-02-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:57 PM
slimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud of

Said the guy that always drives the speed limit.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by slimkev
Thank you! I'm new on 6 speed and it's tough to make friends here I tell ya

Old 08-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Ignore Amos is on a distinguished road
I think you handled the lashing pretty well...it was all meant in the right way (I think)...as someone else said...who here hasn't taken a car through the gears in an excessive way..it's all about when and where, using good judgement. I too have opened my car up to 150 mph..but on the almost totally deserted wide open highways here in AZ...because yes, you can blow a front tire at 75 mph and roll your car...much less at 100 mph. Hope the RRS rear links and tow kit eliminate the issue for you, they are my short list as well.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by slimkev
Don't post things to see your own print. There's no comparison to driving over the speed limit and slowing down to overtake at 135 on a public roadway.

Last edited by denversteve; 08-02-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Don't post things to see your own print. There's no comparison to driving over the speed limit and slowing down to overtake at 135 on a public roadway.
Hey wait up officer! Let's get the details right...

I was on a smooth road in BFE, accelerating my newly acquired STB track dedicated GT3RS to a maximum speed of 135 (the 150 was a different day) Came up over a slight hill transitioning to a downhill and 996 cab appeared out of nowhere (driving quite slow) so instead of hammering on my lifeless PCCB's, I stayed on it so the driver of the 996 Cab wouldn't see my plates and call for backup.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:17 AM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
I DO drive near speed limit at 10 mph over. but that's just me
no one caravan with metro trk anymore lol

jaxon, I think unless ur steering input was too quick (unlikely since u used to ride superbikes and still alive to tell about it: u know what abrupt will do) ur alignment is off. chk rear toe. also did u lift at all? with that speed and any steering input add some road imperfection ur nose would get light. then u subconsciously lift causing rear to move. just guessing

but rs is very stable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3RS stability @ high speed