GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 Buying Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:57 PM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
GT3 Buying Questions

I'm in the market for my first GT3 (997.1 non RS). I have priced them out to be around $75K-85K. I find that the one's on the higher end of the price range "cleaner" but not necessarily worth the extra money.

Here are the 3 that I have checked out:

1) I recently had a $71K (26K miles) example fail a PPI with "respray of entire car" and a leaky crankcase. NO collisions, but no real explanation as to why the car was resprayed. Theory is that it must have been in a dust storm. What are your thoughts on that? How much does a respray, even of good quality, affect the desirability of the car upon resale? FYI....Interior parts, center console, PCM all painted OEM Black by Porsche) Crankcase repair estimate around $2300. May also need new rubber soon.....3mm left over bar.

2) $80K firm (21K miles). Owner states that Guard LSD was done, but the car has no other options or upgrades. Stock interior and exterior. Is this LSD worth the premium on the car? My thought is that it is a repair that costs $2500. I have never recouped repairs in the selling price of the car.

3) Dealer has an excellent 12K mile example. All the bells and whistles, painted interior, GPS, Deviated Stitch, painted wheels, carbon parts, etc. New condition except wear on driver side leather seats. They want $86K! I am trying to get them to $78K.

Full retail blue book on a 2007 GT3 under 10K miles is about $76K....what would you pay for any of these examples?

Old 10-01-2012, 06:09 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Also shopping

Hey there, am looking locally for the same car for my father. I would for sure stay away from a respray, regardless of reasons, if you ever go to sell or trade, you will get hammered.

The dealer car, third car, sounds like the price is higher for the options, (deviAed stich, etc) which I would push the dealer to give on. Is the third car CPO? that's usually a 2500 up charge but if you plan to keep for a while and really put miles on the car may help you sleep at night, een though these cars don't see a lot of shop time IMO.

With respect to the Guard LSD, a lot of guys do that mod, but you should inquire about track time, as that's a common mod for guys who track the car.

On all three cars I would ask for a rev report, the dealer car for sure can produce this, and see how many hours the car was driven in zones 1-6 nd if there were any over revs. That report will tell you more than anything else about how the car was driven, especially on the higher mile cars, would be good to know. the dealers will also ding a car for value based in rev report.

Realize I am stating the obvious here, but I would always put a premium on low miles, as do the dealers for value, but also less likely to run into any wear and tear issues. I have 7k miles on my RS now, bout tilt with only 1500 miles, and no issues. Good luck with your purchase!

Originally Posted by GTRR
I'm in the market for my first GT3 (997.1 non RS). I have priced them out to be around $75K-85K. I find that the one's on the higher end of the price range "cleaner" but not necessarily worth the extra money.

Here are the 3 that I have checked out:

1) I recently had a $71K (26K miles) example fail a PPI with "respray of entire car" and a leaky crankcase. NO collisions, but no real explanation as to why the car was resprayed. Theory is that it must have been in a dust storm. What are your thoughts on that? How much does a respray, even of good quality, affect the desirability of the car upon resale? FYI....Interior parts, center console, PCM all painted OEM Black by Porsche) Crankcase repair estimate around $2300. May also need new rubber soon.....3mm left over bar.

2) $80K firm (21K miles). Owner states that Guard LSD was done, but the car has no other options or upgrades. Stock interior and exterior. Is this LSD worth the premium on the car? My thought is that it is a repair that costs $2500. I have never recouped repairs in the selling price of the car.

3) Dealer has an excellent 12K mile example. All the bells and whistles, painted interior, GPS, Deviated Stitch, painted wheels, carbon parts, etc. New condition except wear on driver side leather seats. They want $86K! I am trying to get them to $78K.

Full retail blue book on a 2007 GT3 under 10K miles is about $76K....what would you pay for any of these examples?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 AM
YoopsRacing will become famous soon enough
I would pay more for a CPO'd under 10k mile car, but that is me. GLWS....

Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
No true, CPO can be for. 2 years past the new date of purchase, my friend just picked up a 2005 Turbo S 996 with new CPO issued and the warranty is 2 years from 9/25/12' or 9/14/14 or 100k miles. Go to PCNA website for CPO conditions, it's listed there.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:35 AM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
Welcome. Might I also checking out the GT3 forum on Rennlist. I would offer that it is a more active, better informed group overall.

1. Walk away from any respray car. I would bet that's not the only story with that car. Too many good cars to consider it unless they're selling hugely under market and you are feeling lucky.

2. My guess is this is a tracked, very well cared for car. It seems most first time GT3 buyers have the madonna/***** complex (myself included). We want a pristine, virginal car then we immediately take her to the track and flog her ourselves. Many also shy away from tracked cars thinking they've been abused. Most owners who track (again, myself included) are fanatical about accelerated maintenance. If the car is tracked and well documented it, I would prefer it to a garage queen that sat and was driven once in a blue moon.

3. $86K for a non-storied, CPO dealer car is about par for the course. If you really love the car as it sits and it checks out after a PPI (yes, I would even PPI a dealer car), then try and talk them down to around upper 70's, low $80's. You will pay a premium for a dealer car most of the time.

The best suggestion I can give is don't be in a hurry. Open yourself up to cars out of state. Find the perfect car for you, then pull the trigger. Best of luck!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 PM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
As we are ending track season soon, be patient as more cars may be available during the winter and the prices for car #2 and #3 may come down. Stick to your principles; keep getting that PPI. Question: will CPO hold if you subsequently modify the car with upgraded LSD, 4.0 clutch, LWFW, cup shifter cable, 4.0 ring pinion, welding coolant fittings so of which you may eventually do. These are some of the common mods for the non RS GT3s I believe

Old 10-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Tono is on a distinguished road
Old 10-08-2012, 04:23 PM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
Originally Posted by Tono
Thanks for the heads up. I love that color (seal grey), but I'm trying to close the deal for an 08 (silver) with half the miles for the same price. Keep your fingers crossed that it passes the PPI! Then, I can officially join this thread!

And of course....I will concentrate on DE, DE, DE!!! I am so excited to get going. This is like golf. You know, you buy the pro set of clubs and you are a beginner....everyone says "nice clubs!" and it's really a dig on your lack of golfing ability! But just like golf, I'll eventually get to single digit handicap and earn the right to be a GT3 driver!

Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Tono is on a distinguished road
Good luck with the silver car. GT3 ownership should be in everyone's bucket list!

Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Global Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to behold