GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

SM_ATL's 2007 997.1 GT3 Journal

Old 01-19-2013, 06:18 PM
ReconTrojan is on a distinguished road
Ok,ok, ok...you're completely nuts. I can't keep up with you

Good health dude.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ReconTrojan
Ok,ok, ok...you're completely nuts. I can't keep up with you

Good health dude.
Thanks. I know I am. But Cars are my only vice

Last edited by SM_ATL; 01-20-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM
hlee1169 will become famous soon enough
SM_ATL, have you done any track days recently in the GT3? I just did another day at Laguna Seca, but my best lap is still 2 seconds slower than the 991, despite having better brake. I also spun out at T3 due to early apex, my second spin out in the GT3. I found I have less confidence pushing the GT3, compared to the 991. I am wondering if you feel the same?

Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hlee1169
SM_ATL, have you done any track days recently in the GT3? I just did another day at Laguna Seca, but my best lap is still 2 seconds slower than the 991, despite having better brake. I also spun out at T3 due to early apex, my second spin out in the GT3. I found I have less confidence pushing the GT3, compared to the 991. I am wondering if you feel the same?
I have only been to a 'small' track twice to get more familiar with the car but will be at Road Atlanta and Barber Motorsportspark a couple of times over the next 2 months and will share my feedback. So far, I would agree with your statement: the 991 is fast and easy to drive (very forgiving and almost impossible to spin). I think that with a some practice the GT3 can be just as fast but it will always be more demanding... and more fun. That's why I see the GT3 as an opportunity to develop my driving skills (before the 991 GT3 becomes available next year ). I'll be cautious and learn the car before pushing it too hard.

Enjoy your 2 beautiful rides!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks, SM_ATL. There's a thread over at Rennlist 991 forum where Gary was discussing the PDCC, and it evolves into a discussion of electronic nannies on the modern Porsche. My 991 has PSM while the 997.1 GT3 does not. I agree that GT3 can further develops one's driving skills, however, I also see PSM saving my butt big time when I make a mistake. I went sideway into the sand trap at turn 3 of Laguna Seca, and thanks god it stopped my car before hitting the wall. So in GT3, I think it does not leave you much margin of error, and as a consequence, I am less eager to push the limit, where as the 991 encourages me to push it further. Does that makes sense?

Old 01-23-2013, 01:49 PM
joyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura about
If you are constantly going off or spinning... you are over driving your ability.
Bad habits are harder to fix later on. Make sure you use street tires and get more seat time with a good instructor and improve your skills gradually.
All the electronic aids are masking your mistakes which gives you over confidence in your driving skills.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:22 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Have you been coached? I hire a pro coach once a year, best 750 I spend every year!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by joyride
If you are constantly going off or spinning... you are over driving your ability.
Bad habits are harder to fix later on. Make sure you use street tires and get more seat time with a good instructor and improve your skills gradually.
All the electronic aids are masking your mistakes which gives you over confidence in your driving skills.
Sorry, I'm not constantly "going off" or "spinning" out of control, I'm rather conservative. I've done a total of 15 track days in the past 4 months, split evenly between Thunderhill and Laguna Seca. I've spun out only twice, all at the same turn 3. I also know why, first one due to lift, second due to early apex which leads to excess steering input. My best lap time in the 991 is 1:49, and 1:51 in the GT3.

No doubt I still have a lot to learn, but in the debate of necessity of PSM I am a firm believer in favor. PSM has gotten so good it hardly intervene at all, but if you make a mistake, it could prevent you from going into a wall. It does not mask your bad habit, at least on the 991, in my opinion.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Have you been coached? I hire a pro coach once a year, best 750 I spend every year!
Been instructed by PCA and signed off for solo, by HOD and signed off for solo, been instructed by a professional coach with additional fee.

As I stated in my previous post, I think 991 platform makes it easier to push to the limit.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 PM
In my mind, there is no doubt that there is more 'risk' with the GT3 than with a 991. Even with excellent driving skills (that I honestly do not have at this stage), the 991 will save you if something happens that is out of your control. Still, I was at a point where I wanted to drive the 991 with PSM off as I felt it started to hold me back. I guess the chassis/powertrain of the 991 -with PSM off- is still a bit more stable than the GT3, but there should not be a big gap.

As suggested by Trakcar, I'll probably go for a pro coach too. I've been signed off solo at DE's as well, but the DE instructors -without criticism here- have a tendency to make you work on a perfect line vs. teaching you the skills to use the full track and get you out of more difficult situations. I guess you can either go for a race school or private coaching...

In the end, it is not about the fastest lap time but about the fun you have and the opportunity to develop your skills.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks, SM_ATL. My racing shop also told me that the GT3's pedal is super-sensitive, so I could have lifted without knowing it, and that leads to the backend to come around. I did ran with Sports mode on, so for now I will leave it off to filter out my unconscious pedal movement.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Stripes and small stuff...

Quick update on a few cosmetic enhancements (matter of taste of course) with the help of Kyle from porschestripes.com. I went for a silver and yellow (to match the calipers) GT3 stripes kit. It may not stay on the car forever but I like it a lot for now. Complemented with an OEM decal on the rear wing...

Got an alignment done this week, lowering the car by 1/2" and adding a bit more camber. Also got wheelstuds installed.

Also added the black vinyl headlight trim kit from Porschestripes:

Re-used the gas cap I had purchased for my Cayman R:

Dropped in a K&N air filter (if there is a bit more sound, it is already good enough...)

...and got the Schroth harness finally installed as well:

Attached Images          

Last edited by SM_ATL; 01-27-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Sweet. What camber setting are you running? Mine is -2.1 front, -1.8 rear. Front toe in .03, rear toe in .12.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:01 PM
StPatsDay will become famous soon enoughStPatsDay will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Stripes and small stuff...

Quick update on a few cosmetic enhancements (matter of taste of course) with the help of Kyle from porschestripes.com. I went for a silver and yellow (to match the calipers) GT3 stripes kit. It may not stay on the car forever but I like it a lot for now. Complemented with an OEM decal on the rear wing...

Looks good!
I like how your GT3 looks with those graphics.
You could consider highlighting the mirrors silver to match.
Congrats!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Sweet. What camber setting are you running? Mine is -2.1 front, -1.8 rear. Front toe in .03, rear toe in .12.
Running pretty close to that.

Had also added Torque Solution solid/adjustable (caster) thrust arm bushings prior to the alignment:

Originally Posted by StPatsDay
Looks good!
I like how your GT3 looks with those graphics.
You could consider highlighting the mirrors silver to match.
Congrats!
Thanks!. Thought about it already and tempted to do it. A little concerned that I'd start looking like an 'RS4.0 wannabe', but hey, if it looks good, who cares ?

Attached Images   

Last edited by SM_ATL; 01-28-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's 2007 997.1 GT3 Journal