GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

2014 GT3 Pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 07:13 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Me likey.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:28 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
The specs are very impressive!

I am stuck with the almost 32 mpg highway on a 9000 rpm 475 bhp track oriented car, the weight savings even with the penalty of the PDK which is heavier than a manual, etc...

Even the PDK lever has proper orientation... Down to upshift, up to downshift!

I can only imagine what the GT3RS will be... 500 bhp and maybe less than 3000 lbs?

I will start saving from now! LOL

Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 PM
sl951 is on a distinguished road
A key statement I was looking for -
"The six-cylinder engine is based on the same engine as the 911 Carrera S"
Which happens to be the same as the new Cayman.

Can you say a true GT3 Cayman engine swap! A true GT3 Cayman swap instead of compromised street swaps of the past models..... hmmm

Last edited by sl951; 03-04-2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-04-2013, 08:57 PM
ze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really nice
Our first batch of detailed pictures from last night:

Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
The Evo video has a lot of good info. Andreas Preuninger has a great way of conveying his enthusiasm. You can tell he has true love for his product/project. I love the idea of a "donut mode". The up to downshift and down to upshift is definitely a good call.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
I'm in awe. Its pretty much perfect. Im still not 100% on the center console but it may grow on me.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:39 AM
ur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to all
This will be another great car. Active rear steering and PDK like a real sequencial are just the toppings to a great mix.

Manual was great, PDK better... The king is dead, long live the king...

All the na-sayers bleating about the lack of manuals will eat humble pie and their voices will pass quickly into the obis. And as for asking protential buyers to steer clear to cohurse Porsche to change their minds... yeah wright!
Jay

Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 AM
thedoctor will become famous soon enough
Some more pics of the car in white...

Attached Images   
Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
The e46 M3 is widely viewed as the last true M3 before M stopped being about making a drivers car and more about a marketing ploy + tons of electronic aids. My comparison was that Porsche is trying to sell a bunch of expensive GT3s, and in doing so, have betrayed what the GT3 was meant to be.

I disagree with everything you said about the M-cars. And how Porsche has betrayed the GT3 name because of the PDK (I'm guessing that's what you mean) is a bit strong imo.

The PDK in the new GT3 does sound pretty exiting but I would get a 997 GT3 every day of the week over it, just because of the manual box. It is not like going from air cooled to water cooled, it is not like prefering hand crank starts over a key or carburetors over DFI (arguments from F-chat, probably the most rediculous ones I've heard, ever).
Some people just want to change gear themselves, it's a huge part of driving a car, especially a sports car and I'm sad that there's no manual option on the 991 GT3..

Other than that, I say great job Porsche!!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Sfarooq is just really niceSfarooq is just really niceSfarooq is just really niceSfarooq is just really niceSfarooq is just really nice
Originally Posted by Zlaatan
IThe PDK in the new GT3 does sound pretty exiting but I would get a 997 GT3 every day of the week over it, just because of the manual box. It is not like going from air cooled to water cooled, it is not like prefering hand crank starts over a key or carburetors over DFI (arguments from F-chat, probably the most rediculous ones I've heard, ever).
Some people just want to change gear themselves, it's a huge part of driving a car, especially a sports car and I'm sad that there's no manual option on the 991 GT3..
I have been driving a manual car for the last 10 years of my life and agree that rowing the gears makes me feel more involved with the car than pulling on a paddle behind the wheel.

However, where I disagree with your sentiment is that; changing gears via a lever is not significantly different than changing it via a paddle. The difference between manual and PDK lays in the manual transmissions ability to allow the driver to be viscerally connected and involved with the car and justifiably, claim partial responsible for the car's output and performance.

The hesitation to welcome PDK with open arms tends to exist as it is yet another technological advancement that removes the human variable just a bit more and slightly equalize the playing field, hence making the driver feel just a bit cheated, in that they were not as involved with the car's performance as before.

If by some fashion, the PDK on this car or its later iterations allows the driver to maintain an acceptable level of involvement, I would purchase the car without hesitation.

Clearly, PDK is a superior technology, but superior doesn't always equate to "better", because "better" is subjective. Hopefully Porsche has done its homework and this car is "better" both subjectively and objectively.

Regards -

Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Originally Posted by Sfarooq
I have been driving a manual car for the last 10 years of my life and agree that rowing the gears makes me feel more involved with the car than pulling on a paddle behind the wheel.

However, where I disagree with your sentiment is that; changing gears via a lever is not significantly different than changing it via a paddle. The difference between manual and PDK lays in the manual transmissions ability to allow the driver to be viscerally connected and involved with the car and justifiably, claim partial responsible for the car's output and performance.

The hesitation to welcome PDK with open arms tends to exist as it is yet another technological advancement that removes the human variable just a bit more and slightly equalize the playing field, hence making the driver feel just a bit cheated, in that they were not as involved with the car's performance as before.

If by some fashion, the PDK on this car or its later iterations allows the driver to maintain an acceptable level of involvement, I would purchase the car without hesitation.

Clearly, PDK is a superior technology, but superior doesn't always equate to "better", because "better" is subjective. Hopefully Porsche has done its homework and this car is "better" both subjectively and objectively.

Regards -
Agree 100%. Best stated argument for and against I have read!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 AM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
I love what they have done with this PDK. However, one of the reasons I loved my 997.1 GT3 was the driver involvement. A GT3 is not about speed or lap times. If you wanted speed, go somewhere else.
Some folks are missing the point. The loss of the manual is huge on this car as the GT3 represented a mission of pure driving enjoyment, not just going fast around a track. I loved the fact that Porsche simply did not offer the manual.
The problem is that the average rich guy wants to impress friends with stats and that's the real target market for car makers nowadays. The PDK allows for some startling 0-60 times which seem to be the be-all, end-all for Americans (way more so than even 1/4 mile times).
All that said, I would not rule the new GT3 out as I am very impressed by it. However, I wouldn't be buying it for the same reasons as my 997.1.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 AM
911stripper has a spectacular aura about911stripper has a spectacular aura about
Old 03-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
i honestly feel like porsche is playing the trump card game rather than developing what gt3 owners want.. weight for me is huge.. having come from a 996tt to now a carrera s i soon came to realize why the gt3 guys love their cars.. its all weight!

the styling is beautiful but 20's on a gt car is rediculous

i was planning on getting 18's for my 997 but the car feels quite compliant with 19's as it was designed with them.. this may be the instance with the 991 also but you do need some sidewall!

Last edited by porka; 03-05-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 PM
nizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by kouzman
I am stuck with the almost 32 mpg highway on a 9000 rpm 475 bhp track oriented car, the weight savings even with the penalty of the PDK which is heavier than a manual, etc...
Doubt that 32mpg number holds. UK and German specs indicating 12.4/18.9/26.4 mpg for urban/combined/ex-urban. Even those numbers are unlikely to hold given new stricker measuring standards in US.

Last edited by nizer; 03-07-2013 at 09:15 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2014 GT3 Pics