GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Educate me on 2009 GT2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Hades is on a distinguished road
Post Educate me on 2009 GT2

Hello Gents!

Long time Lurker here, I have been a member of these forums for a very long time but never posted. I searched a lil bit on the forums but didn't quite find what I was looking for. So I thought I would just make a thread to ask the experts on here...

During my hunt for a C63 BlackSeries, I accidentally came up on a very sweet deal on a 2009 GT2 [2009, 21k Miles, never tracked according to the seller]. Now I know what GT2's are but have very little knowledge about them. I was hoping if someone could point out a few known problems with them, what to look out for in a used GT2? Anything specific I should get checked or looked at? Any maintenance issue I should bring up with the seller? I am going to have a look at the car tomorrow and will also be getting a PPI done by the local Porsche dealer. But any and all help from the forums would be great help and and very much appreciated.

BTW, whats your take on between a C63 Black Series and GT2. I will be driven occasionally on the weekends or whenever the move strikes, but definitely won't be a daily.

Thanks

- Jay

Old 06-10-2014, 05:37 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Well....

First comment there were no GT2s made in 2009 as evidenced by the non Bluetooth in dash system. They were only offered in 2008 model year. Maybe the car was delivered in 2009. Thats seems incorrect.

As for what to look for I would have them run a DME rev report and look for missed shifts and over revs. As for diffs your Mercedes will still be an easy daily driver and decent ride vs a GT2 is really a rougher and stiffer ride like my RS and will be a challenge getting in and out of places due to ride height. GT2 car is for track purposes IMO and as for performance the GT is not easy to drive assertively given 2WD and the way the power delivers via turbo spool. Speaking from having driven a friends. There is a reason this car's nickname is the widowmaker.

Both are great cars but dramatically different purposes Have not driven a C63 but have owned a SL55 and while fun, for me not even close to being as engaging to drive as a Porsche GT series car.AMG cars are very fast but still luxury car first. GT cars are track cars first, who have some luxury amenities tossed in.

tQUOTE=Hades;4131102]Hello Gents!

Long time Lurker here, I have been a member of these forums for a very long time but never posted. I searched a lil bit on the forums but didn't quite find what I was looking for. So I thought I would just make a thread to ask the experts on here...

During my hunt for a C63 BlackSeries, I accidentally came up on a very sweet deal on a 2009 GT2 [2009, 21k Miles, never tracked according to the seller]. Now I know what GT2's are but have very little knowledge about them. I was hoping if someone could point out a few known problems with them, what to look out for in a used GT2? Anything specific I should get checked or looked at? Any maintenance issue I should bring up with the seller? I am going to have a look at the car tomorrow and will also be getting a PPI done by the local Porsche dealer. But any and all help from the forums would be great help and and very much appreciated.

BTW, whats your take on between a C63 Black Series and GT2. I will be driven occasionally on the weekends or whenever the move strikes, but definitely won't be a daily.

Thanks

- Jay[/QUOTE]

Last edited by TurboDogue; 06-10-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:15 AM
MirageJHU is on a distinguished road
Um, where do you get the data saying there are no 09 GT2s?

There were a small handful of GT2s in the 09 MY, if I remember correctly there are no differences between the 08 and 09 model year. The rarity of an 09 is one thing, and anecdotally I've seen most 09s tend to be PTS cars instead of the standard colors. Edit: 09's have updated PCM as well according to a thread on RL: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...on-number.html (hope it's ok to link to that...)

As Jay above already mentioned definitely get a DME report as that will show you if the engine has been beat on.

As for your decision, see if you can test drive each of them and pick which one suits you best. I personally would go with the GT2 all day (I have a GT2RS) because it's going to be more raw and more involving than any slushbox mercedes. Even though the BS cars are well reviewed for being quite a lot of fun to drive, I value driving a 6 speed for a weekend/fun car. The GT2 will also be lighter, feel nimbler etc.

You'd be hard pressed to go wrong with either choice

Good luck!

Last edited by MirageJHU; 06-10-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:21 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
That's what I was saying was not really a true 2009 as all other 2009 p cars got Bluetooth PCM upgrade. So really the car is 2008 delivered in 2009 and while the model year may designate 2009 it's no diff than an 08 except you likely pay more for that 2009 status but car is no diff. Sorry wasn't very clear w my point.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TurboDogue
That's what I was saying was not really a true 2009 as all other 2009 p cars got Bluetooth PCM upgrade. So really the car is 2008 delivered in 2009 and while the model year may designate 2009 it's no diff than an 08 except you likely pay more for that 2009 status but car is no diff. Sorry wasn't very clear w my point.
Local dealership had an 09 GT2 with the upgraded PCM...same as all 997.2s.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Wow

Wow I stand corrected. If that's true I bet there aren't many and w

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Local dealership had an 09 GT2 with the upgraded PCM...same as all 997.2s.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:41 PM
ammo_collector is on a distinguished road
Only 20 2009 gt2s in the USA

Old 06-10-2014, 07:40 PM
aco
aco is on a distinguished road
18 2009 GT2 for PCNA (USA)
7 2009 GT2 for PCL (Canada)

Old 06-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aco
18 2009 GT2 for PCNA (USA)
7 2009 GT2 for PCL (Canada)
2 of 7 listed currently in Canada:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...howcpo=ShowCPO

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...&orup=2_15_356

Old 06-12-2014, 07:07 AM
cpt_slow is on a distinguished road
IMO the canadian prices are great on these two cars!...The general rule of thumb though is stay away from Quebec cars because they are....ummm more troublesome than average. There is also a red 996 GT2 but has had a lot of work done to it. I wish the GT2 had 4 seats, I'd be all over one like a fat kid on smarties!

Old 06-12-2014, 07:50 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cpt_slow
IMO the canadian prices are great on these two cars!...The general rule of thumb though is stay away from Quebec cars because they are....ummm more troublesome than average. There is also a red 996 GT2 but has had a lot of work done to it. I wish the GT2 had 4 seats, I'd be all over one like a fat kid on smarties!

You can retrofit rears seats in any 997 (gt3 / gt2) and they are actually readily available on ebay for a few hundred dollars.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Old 06-18-2014, 07:02 AM
reid55 is on a distinguished road
About 190-ish 08's and approx 20-ish 09's. To my knowledge, all MY 09's got the upgraded PCM. No other changes. 09's obviously a little rarer on that basis but premium difference more likely due to one year newer. It is a rock-solid motor with a long history of dependability (DNA 996 and 997 Turbo). It is a fantastic car in all respects. Multi-suspension mode with the softer setting quite comfortable for daily driving provided your roads are decent (considerably more comfortable than RS for daily driving). Very nimble and light on its feet.. PCCB brakes are amazing. EXTREMELY fast beast with almost non-existent turbo lag and full torque available at 2500 RPM and up with VTG. Great seats. Amazing looks. You have to respect it as you would any rear wheel drive beast (it has enough power to break the rears loose in 4th gear cruising at 80 mph if you stomp on it) but I find it extremely well behaved and manageable provided you know how to drive and don't do anything stupid (with nannies on, its difficult to get in trouble). Front lip is low (parking garage ramps likely not an option). Exhaust sound is typical Turbo and will not compare to the Black. Other than that, it is a fantastic supercar, rare, dependable, fun to drive, amazingly fast and good looking. At the moment, I find them to be an outstanding value for the money but they are showing signs of appreciating like the other 977 GT's have (I think it is a very good time to buy one). Obviously, it is a stick and checking over revs and other inspection should be mandatory. It is very easy to bounce off the rev limiter in 1 and second in this car until you get used to it. Rev limit bounces will give you 1, 2 and 3 range hits which are fine in this car. 4 and above is likely a bad downshift. The car has launch control but I've never used it. Hope this helps.