GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Question about GT3 seats and roll cage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 06:39 AM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Question about GT3 seats and roll cage

Why does only the european market get this for the regular GT3? If it was because it couldn't be used in America due to safety concerns then why did all the GT3 RS and the GT2 RS have them but not the regular cars?

Can someone please explain since the carbon fiber seats and roll cage I think are a must on this car.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Sport buckets are not DOT approved yet. They should be next year. Roll cages in US cars have never been DOT approved and probably never will. There is too much potential for head injuries on roll cages without the use of proper restraints and a helmet.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:41 AM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Sport buckets are not DOT approved yet. They should be next year. Roll cages in US cars have never been DOT approved and probably never will. There is too much potential for head injuries on roll cages without the use of proper restraints and a helmet.
So why do all the RS models have them in the US? Same with the roll cage. For instance a year or so ago there was a GT2 RS at the local mercedes dealer right next to my work and it had the carbon fiber seats and the roll cage. I still have pics of it too since the day the owner bought it 4 hours later he totaled it.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:11 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by speedsterr
So why do all the RS models have them in the US? Same with the roll cage. For instance a year or so ago there was a GT2 RS at the local mercedes dealer right next to my work and it had the carbon fiber seats and the roll cage. I still have pics of it too since the day the owner bought it 4 hours later he totaled it.
The old car did have DOT approved carbon buckets. Porsche does not have that yet for the 991GT3. Roll cage was added after, not at the factory.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:12 PM
The old car did have DOT approved carbon buckets. Porsche does not have that yet for the 991GT3. Roll cage was added after, not at the factory.
The carbon buckets from the old GT3 and new one look the exact same.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:37 PM
alpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of light
The carbon buckets from the old GT3 and new one look the exact same.
Maybe they are the same, but the old GT3 carbon buckets and the rest-of-the-world 991 GT3s carbon buckets do not meet the current US DOT new car criteria.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:21 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Rumor has it the carbon seats for the 991 GT3 RS will be taken from the 918 once approved. Then it's assumed the GT3 will have them as an option.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:20 PM

Check out this video. The GT3 in here is by techart and has the regular sport plus seats but with a carbon back. I looked on their website but couldn't find this. Anyone have any explanations?

Old 07-21-2014, 07:53 PM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
Not all RS's came with sport bucket seats and they were an option on the car. I have seen many without the sport bucket option.

Rollbars are typically aftermarket but you can also buy the clubsport bar from Porsche too.

The older sport buckets don't meet the current DOT requirement but you can still buy them from dealer such as Suncoast. They are big money $$$$$$

Old 07-21-2014, 07:58 PM
alpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of light
Check out this video. The GT3 in here is by techart and has the regular sport plus seats but with a carbon back. I looked on their website but couldn't find this. Anyone have any explanations?
Perhaps the seat backs are covered in 3M carbon fiber vinyl. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ns/Series1080/

Old 07-21-2014, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by alpine-al
Perhaps the seat backs are covered in 3M carbon fiber vinyl. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ns/Series1080/

Not with the way it was glossy in the video.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by SKXF430
Not all RS's came with sport bucket seats and they were an option on the car. I have seen many without the sport bucket option.

Rollbars are typically aftermarket but you can also buy the clubsport bar from Porsche too.

The older sport buckets don't meet the current DOT requirement but you can still buy them from dealer such as Suncoast. They are big money $$$$$$
Interesting. I have seen 3 GT3 RS and 2 GT2 RS and all of them had the carbon buckets and roll cage.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Interesting. I have seen 3 GT3 RS and 2 GT2 RS and all of them had the carbon buckets and roll cage.
The later cars had carbon buckets as an option. Roll cage was installed after delivery. I think we are all repeating ourselves or am I missing something.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 PM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
Many opted for sport buckets, but you will find a handful of cars with non-bucket seats.

Kind of shame but that is like a GT car with automatic. Ooooppppsss.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:50 AM
The later cars had carbon buckets as an option. Roll cage was installed after delivery. I think we are all repeating ourselves or am I missing something.
Yes everyone is repeating themselves lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about GT3 seats and roll cage