GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

7 days in the CGT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 12:12 PM
themarsman is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by bli8
The GT is really growing on me. How is the clutch? Heard that the later cars (after production number 450 or so) has smoother engagement. What is your car's production number?
I have production number 248 and the clutch is fine, my wife drove the car and didn't have any problems.

Old 10-12-2005, 06:55 PM
deanger is on a distinguished road
Pix next time...

Originally posted by eshaun
interesting writeup...did you happen to snap any quick photos taken at some of the random stops you made during the day....dry cleaners, gym, drive thru, home depot, mall, etc... u get the idea. I think a sequence of photos like this would make for such a unique pictorial to complement your writeup.
Wish I had. Though I love the idea so think I will start to do it, maybe as soon as tonight.

My car is 0872

Clutch is fine. I do think it has been set, because I've noticed (and I do it on purpose now and then to see if I'm not imagining it) that if you are in first and letting out the clutch AND don't have enough throttle IT SEEMS to blip the throttle for you.

Has anyone else noticed this? You let it slip... and then... zoom a few hundred rpms worth of power.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:26 AM
Honored Member

W8MM will become famous soon enough
Re: Pix next time...

Originally posted by deanger
... if you are in first [gear] and letting out the clutch AND don't have enough throttle IT SEEMS to blip the throttle for you.

Has anyone else noticed this? You let it slip... and then... zoom a few hundred rpms worth of power.
As long as one keeps their foot out of the throttle completely, the idle servo for the engine has enough range to start (launch?) the car in motion on more or less level ground. The servo gain is not enough to overcome the gravity-induced load of trying to start up a substantial incline, but works well on the flats. Indeed, the gas is being "blipped" by the ECU while it tries to maintain some engine RPM during a throttle-less clutch release. Once the clutch is fully released and the car is in motion, applying additional gas pedal results in normal, expected operation.

I find that I can rest my foot on the throttle pedal and have this process work, but it won't work if I even slightly depress the pedal. The ECU seems to be programmed for non-intervention if the driver wants to control the throttle even a little bit himself.

This is actually the Porsche-recommended method for low stress starts while one is getting used to the take-up characteristics of the clutch and low-inertia (no flywheel!) engine combination.

I'm a little surprised that which ever Porsche dealer delivered your car didn't go over this with you as part of the orientation session. Maybe when mine was delivered in February, Porsche was still nervous about the Internet and media bashing of the "clutch issue" and perhaps they were more adamant about proper education of new owners at that time.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:34 PM
netburner will become famous soon enoughnetburner will become famous soon enough
I know one CGT which is really used as an everyday drive. All-in-all it now has around 140.000km (86992mls) on the clock (maybe more, haven't seen it for a while)!

Nice writeup, keep it running

Old 09-15-2008, 11:59 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by W8MM
This is actually the Porsche-recommended method for low stress starts while one is getting used to the take-up characteristics of the clutch and low-inertia (no flywheel!) engine combination.
I've heard this myth before. Of course the CGT has a flywheel, like any other engine.

The flywheel is the friction surface that the clutch operates against.

The flywheel has gear teeth cut around the outside, which the starter motor uses.

The part number of the flywheel is 980 102 142 31.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Motilev is just really niceMotilev is just really niceMotilev is just really niceMotilev is just really nice
My friend has CGT in Moscow as dailydriver car. He has 22000 km for 4 month, no problems! He likes car very well and dont want to change it for somethinck else.

I drive my Bros CGT on weekend. Nice car. Clutch is perfect. But in monday I am going to work with my C2S

Old 09-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Motilev is just really niceMotilev is just really niceMotilev is just really niceMotilev is just really nice
Yellow Beast!

Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2008, 10:43 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Amazing write up, glad you drive it a lot...

Old 09-16-2008, 05:49 PM
MWM
MWM is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mousecatcher
I've heard this myth before. Of course the CGT has a flywheel, like any other engine.

The flywheel is the friction surface that the clutch operates against.

The flywheel has gear teeth cut around the outside, which the starter motor uses.

The part number of the flywheel is 980 102 142 31.
C'mon dude, don't be a d'bag. Mike is a scientist, engineer, and very valued member of this board. It's not a myth, and of course the car has a physical flywheel. Read his statement 'has no flywheel' as in "the engine has very low rev inertia." Ever blipped the throttle on a CGT? Or listened to one shut off? You'll see what he means.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:03 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
nice write up! best supercar ever built IMO.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:42 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by MWM
C'mon dude, don't be a d'bag. Mike is a scientist, engineer, and very valued member of this board. It's not a myth, and of course the car has a physical flywheel. Read his statement 'has no flywheel' as in "the engine has very low rev inertia." Ever blipped the throttle on a CGT? Or listened to one shut off? You'll see what he means.
sure, every time i drive mine i hear it.

not trying to be an a-hole. he said explicitly, "no flywheel!", which is not correct. for reference, my race car revs faster than the CGT, so whatever the CGT flywheel construction is, it's likely not even particularly exotic. I imagine the material used is limited by the need to act as a friction surface, and most of the weight reduction over a typical flywheel comes from the small diameter (thanks to use of a carbon clutch).

certainly for a v10 street car, wow it is exceptional, but "no flywheel!" is imparting magic that the CGT does not possess.

anyway, i did not mean to offend.