GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

i want to replace my 2015 GT3 , need your advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 08:00 PM
houstonGT2 will become famous soon enoughhoustonGT2 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Michael Adair
First of all it's quite enjoyable reading about you guys and your high end sports car escapades! Living vicariously...

I have just the opposite problem. After 10 years and lots of buy/selling and saving I'm dead set on a GT3 for many reasons. But which gen and model is effing killing me!

Ok, I want an opinion from both of you. And I want it based on these three cars and criteria.

997.2 GT3
997 GT3RS
991 GT3

I know the pros and cons of all three spec wise. Here is the criteria:

1. Not a daily driver
2. Two track days a year max
3. Fast weekend, day trip car
4. Cars n Coffee, event impact
5. I tend to like direct Motorsports colors
6. Best resale value as I have to part with the car to get another
7. Never owned or driven a PDK car
8. Had a Cayman S Sport as last car

Have at it. No wrong answers and give it to me straight

Mj
You need to test drive the PDK before you make any decisions. The driving / visceral experience completely different. If you want coffee/ car pop & fast & non daily I would say the RS. All 3 outstanding. If you want super fast, get a GT2, but they are a little scary for rookie drivers like me.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:03 PM
pelo911 is on a distinguished road
First of all it's quite enjoyable reading about you guys and your high end sports car escapades! Living vicariously...

I have just the opposite problem. After 10 years and lots of buy/selling and saving I'm dead set on a GT3 for many reasons. But which gen and model is effing killing me!

Ok, I want an opinion from both of you. And I want it based on these three cars and criteria.

997.2 GT3
997 GT3RS
991 GT3

I know the pros and cons of all three spec wise. Here is the criteria:

1. Not a daily driver

Have at it. No wrong answers and give it to me straight

Mj

i think the 991 GT3 is the best
the grip and the speed this car carry in all kind of corners it's unreal !!!
the more i drive this car , the more i love it !

Old 04-01-2015, 09:25 PM
Michael Adair is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by houstonGT2
You need to test drive the PDK before you make any decisions. The driving / visceral experience completely different. If you want coffee/ car pop & fast & non daily I would say the RS. All 3 outstanding. If you want super fast, get a GT2, but they are a little scary for rookie drivers like me.
Thanks friend...

I know. Just can't find one to drive It's really pretty simple. The 991 is the best overall car by a long shot. The 997 just seems dated (but still far above my ability) and it's just stupid to think that way and the RS is the head turner and unicorn of the bunch. I might not want to sell the RS and that would lock me in. If I did a 991 maybe in two years I go used 991RS?

This is a wicked game...

Old 04-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by pelo911
i think the 991 GT3 is the best
the grip and the speed this car carry in all kind of corners it's unreal !!!
the more i drive this car , the more i love it !
Good to hear. As big of fan as I am of high revving NA motors I am sure the top end rush and sound of 9K has to be intoxicating...

Old 04-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by houstonGT2
GT2 = too fast

Old 04-02-2015, 08:43 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute

997.2 GT3
997 GT3RS
991 GT3
Let me put on my flame suit before responding. Caveat, this is my opinion.

I believe the 997 GT3 market is in a bubble that will burst. The 997 GT3 is still strong because there is no used market for 991 GT3s yet. That will change at the end of summer as RS and GT4s come in. Once this market opens up, I feel if someone has the option of 997 out of warranty for 120k or a 991 with full warranty for 130-140k, they will choose the 991. I personally can't justify the cost of a 997. What's so great about it to demand the price over a full warranty 991? Last data point, AP is trying to get another GT3 variant in manual and if that happens, you'll see the car drop. http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...he-911-gt-cars

The RS is an interesting one. I don't know where it's going but I wouldn't buy one. I'm not looking for a garage queen and they are turning into that status which is unfortunate for such an amazing car.

The 991 GT3 is an unknown. No one knows where it will go. It's the only GT3 that revs to 9k and most likely will stay that way. Only made for a short period of time and the 2014s had their engines replaced where the 15 didn't. I think the 991.2 will decide its fate and how collectible it is.

1. Not a daily driver
- Any will do
- Any will do
- 991 is more comfortable but all 3 are great
- 991 is a much better looking car than the 997 GT3 plus it's new. The 997 GT3 isn't old enough yet to be special at C&C. The RS is more unique and would have more impact.
- Any will do
- See above
- Don't drive a normal PDK like in the C2 variants or the Turbos. The GT3's PDK is completely different.
- Rear engine is a different beast so you'll have a learning curve in all of them with the 991 being the most capable and safer of the bunch.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by RossL

I believe the 997 GT3 market is in a bubble that will burst. The 997 GT3 is still strong because there is no used market for 991 GT3s yet. That will change at the end of summer as RS and GT4s come in. Once this market opens up, I feel if someone has the option of 997 out of warranty for 120k or a 991 with full warranty for 130-140k, they will choose the 991. I personally can't justify the cost of a 997. What's so great about it to demand the price over a full warranty 991? Last data point, AP is trying to get another GT3 variant in manual and if that happens, you'll see the car drop. http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...he-911-gt-cars

The RS is an interesting one. I don't know where it's going but I wouldn't buy one. I'm not looking for a garage queen and they are turning into that status which is unfortunate for such an amazing car.

The 991 GT3 is an unknown. No one knows where it will go. It's the only GT3 that revs to 9k and most likely will stay that way. Only made for a short period of time and the 2014s had their engines replaced where the 15 didn't. I think the 991.2 will decide its fate and how collectible it is.

1. Not a daily driver
- Any will do
- Any will do
- 991 is a much better looking car than the 997 GT3 plus it's new. The 997 GT3 isn't old enough yet to be special at C&C. The RS is more unique and would have more impact.
- Any will do
- See above
- Don't drive a normal PDK like in the C2 variants or the Turbos. The GT3's PDK is completely different.
- Rear engine is a different beast so you'll have a learning curve in all of them with the 991 being the most capable and safer of the bunch.
Nice response and thank you-

That echos my thoughts Ross and no need for the flame suit!

In regard to your previous opinion on PAG you are spot on. In the last month I have have had some unbelievably bad experiences/conversations with Porsche sales people. Wow, I have had better experiences buying my Honda work vehicles. What a bunch of arrogant retailers. Out of the dozen or so people I have spoken with one has been fantastic and the rest I wouldn't buy a car cover from. I don't have the time to list all of the specifics but I could fill a page. I'm a sales rep and deal with over 100 accounts and I could never get away with that **** and I'm selling $400 Gore-Tex jackets much less 130K cars!

Thanks again...

Mj

Old 04-02-2015, 10:13 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Nice response and thank you-

That echos my thoughts Ross and no need for the flame suit!

In regard to your previous opinion on PAG you are spot on. In the last month I have have had some unbelievably bad experiences/conversations with Porsche sales people. Wow, I have had better experiences buying my Honda work vehicles. What a bunch of arrogant retailers. Out of the dozen or so people I have spoken with one has been fantastic and the rest I wouldn't buy a car cover from. I don't have the time to list all of the specifics but I could fill a page. I'm a sales rep and deal with over 100 accounts and I could never get away with that **** and I'm selling $400 Gore-Tex jackets much less 130K cars!

Thanks again...

Mj
My thoughts exactly. On the GT3 I had asked for PTS and was turned down before the stop sale. After the stop sale, I tried again and was turned down. Now PAG is releasing 30 PTS cars but only to dealers who are marking them up 20-40k over sticker. Now on the RS they are saying no to PTS but they will eventually open up a window if you are lucky (aka some dealers will take them to mark up). It's ridiculous. On a side note, I like my local Porsche dealer. They aren't the ones screwing me. It's PAG.

I actually called my favorite Aston Martin dealer and he thinks he can get me a GT12. If he can, there will be another GT3 for sale

Old 04-02-2015, 04:24 PM
lax01 will become famous soon enough
I still don't understand the appeal of the GT3 for someone who is only going to track twice a year max. That's what the car is built for. I actually feel bad that my car hasn't seen more track this year. You do not fully experience any GT3 on the street. Even in the canyons or back-roads...you just don't.

People who buy them to keep them in their garage (500 mile/yr people) are ridiculous and bad for the brand...the cars are sturdy and meant to be driven hard day in and day out.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:03 PM
osu s2k is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RossL

1. Not a daily driver
- Any will do
- Any will do
- Any will do
- See above
I have very similar feelings as RossL.

I was in the market for a 997 gt3/rs and got turned off by the asking prices. I refused to pay over msrp for a 4 year old car that I did not feel was a collector piece yet. So i found an 09 gt2 at a decent discount and will decide where that ends up.

If I was buying right now, i would buy the 991 gt3 for your wants and needs. The only other decent deals i saw were 997.1 standard gt3s.(slightly below what their msrp was) I also believe a bubble exists for the 997 variants, bubble bursting will depend on several factors gt4 release(volume), 991 gt3 returns for a gt3rs and the fact that in a little time you cannot warranty them via cpo. If a 991 gt3rs manual is released all of the mezgers fans, including myself, will claim its not a mezger, but i guarantee it will be better than the previous generation and have a warranty. The other wild card is what happens with a market crash/reset/world event? My best car purchase ever was on a 1200 mile cayenne bought in 2007 for >55% off msrp.

Here is my example, I inquired about a 2011 gt3rs, minimally equipped under 2500 miles garage queen asking 177K. (if you are in the market, i m sure you saw the ad) Compared to others on the market with mileage of 10K-15K this was probably sold around 170 and it would be considered a good deal. Go to the porsche configurator and you can spec out a 991 gt3rs for under 200 reasonably equipped (or a 991 gt3 well equipped). Even if you are not ON the List, eventually you can and will find one. Maybe not immediately at launch but towards the end of production or guys trading up or out when the next latest and greatest comes out. So I would rather have the newer gt3rs at or close to msrp than paying 35K over for a 4 year old car. The 997 gt3 and rs will be appreciated in the future but I am right now not willing to pay to get in during what i feel is a frenzy.

So back to 991 gt3, there are many deals at msrp and now slightly used examples under msrp although not by much. Wait for the gt3rs to hit the guys on the list and the plain jane gt3 will be a decent buy. My 2 cents.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:09 PM
BOXER12 is on a distinguished road
This is simple...Porsche product development doesn't go backwards, so the 991 is clearly 'better' than a 997. The RS is in a different class, the 'collector car' class, and if you have the bucks and want to retain maximum value those are always the way to go.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:11 PM
BOXER12 is on a distinguished road
This is simple...Porsche product development doesn't go backwards, so the 991 is clearly 'better' than a 997 but of course you will have greater depreciation and running costs (Porsche costs always go up with each model in every aspect). The RS is in a different class, the 'collector car' class, and if you have the bucks and want to retain maximum value those are always the way to go.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:25 PM
osu s2k is on a distinguished road
Michael, Have you considered a turbo....like 07-09 manual, doesnt make the sounds of a gt3, but the acceleration is a rush, they look great, nice interior appointments, and have depreciated hard. I am biased but feel they are a tremendous buy right now.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:59 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
I tracked the Huracan and then the 458 back to back and far preferred the 458 -- better sound, felt lighter and more nimble -- although Huracan was faster in straights.

Originally Posted by pelo911
wired that Euro review didn't like it so much
like Top Gear and Autocar (the car tend to understeer a lot)

and Motor Trend think it's better then Ferrari or anything else
include a Pro racing driver like Randy:

some here had a chance to drive the Huracan ?

Old 04-03-2015, 08:53 AM
pelo911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sdg1871
I tracked the Huracan and then the 458 back to back and far preferred the 458 -- better sound, felt lighter and more nimble -- although Huracan was faster in straights.
458 , not 458 Speciale , right?
you have a chance to compare the 991 GT3 to the 458?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: i want to replace my 2015 GT3 , need your advice