GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

My smog nightmare or all dealer techs are not created equal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 08:53 PM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
The first set of issues were due to my custom tune having the O2 sensors disabled by default. We hadn't noticed this until I checked the damn tune files and realized it.

The second set of errors were due to the battery being reset right after the new tunes were installed. I drove around for ~25 minutes at 55mph, went back to the shop, and passed the test.
Many thanks- I'll give the Drive Cycle process a try and see what's going on from there.. Strangely however, I've already driven it at various speeds for 200 miles

Old 07-20-2015, 01:00 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by vg247
Many thanks- I'll give the Drive Cycle process a try and see what's going on from there.. Strangely however, I've already driven it at various speeds for 200 miles
I glanced through your previous posts and didn't see anything, but it may be possible that the cats are going bad. Maybe the dealer can check this for you? Since it's still under warranty, you should sit back and let them figure it out. Worst case scenario, reinstall the stock muffler.

I highly, highly doubt the center bypass is causing the codes, and the dealer shouldn't blame it. Then again, weirder things have happened.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:05 AM
I glanced through your previous posts and didn't see anything, but it may be possible that the cats are going bad. Maybe the dealer can check this for you? Since it's still under warranty, you should sit back and let them figure it out. Worst case scenario, reinstall the stock muffler.

I highly, highly doubt the center bypass is causing the codes, and the dealer shouldn't blame it. Then again, weirder things have happened.

Thanks so much Chris..I have made an appointment with the dealer for this Thursday. Others have also indicated that it might be due to the cats as well, here are my posts on 6speed and RL seeking for help on this:

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...eciated-3.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...preciated.html

Old 07-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Thanks so much Chris..I have made an appointment with the dealer for this Thursday. Others have also indicated that it might be due to the cats as well, here are my posts on 6speed and RL seeking for help on this:

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...eciated-3.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...preciated.html
No problem. Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:18 AM
TurboLover has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLover has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLover has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Squat
With the smog or the dealer. You enjoy Gaudin. Why dont you ask them where the owner gets his car serviced. Hint: its not at his dealership
Both the smog and the dealership, not the greedy ******* stealerships like there are over in CA. I think their sales and parts are great, service a little iffy hence I go to Carl's Place for service.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:27 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
is loosing power for that few minutes when changing the battery the issue?
you can buy a device that plugs into cig lighter while you change battery providing power for that few minutes...i think ecs has em

Old 08-10-2015, 10:47 AM
porschedog is on a distinguished road
Simple solution: Move to Florida. No Smog Tests, No Earthquakes, No Kardashians

Old 08-10-2015, 01:15 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
FL:
Flat straight roads
HOT
Humid- with older Porsches, many visits from the Rust Devil
did I mention...
Hurricane this and Hurricane that?
Sink holes...
Certain areas sinking into the Atlantic and Gulf?

A couple of my cars still have damage from the Napa Earthquake and I went through the last Loma Prieta Quake as well as the Oakland Hill Fire [hell on earth].... but when it is nice.. it IS beautiful. I just wish we could do something about our Smog ***** and excessive tree hugging. Clean air is great but gimme a break.

I confess that I DO like FL, but not in the summer. :->

Old 11-06-2015, 09:42 PM
No problem. Let us know how it goes.
Apologies for the delayed update as I've been overseas, thanks again everyone for their help and input....

My car battery was never disconnected, replaced etc. - what's strange again was it didn't have the EGR READY per the OP above, I drove it over 1k miles at various speeds etc as well...nada nothing, no one could help; then one day I got an OBD reader and randomly the status were all green lights- I took it to the P dealer and smog passed

I'll never figure out what the issues may have been specific to my car, but will anxiously see what's to follow at the next smog registration date in two years- will keep everyone posted then.

Hope all my fellow 6speeders are well!
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Apologies for the delayed update as I've been overseas, thanks again everyone for their help and input....

My car battery was never disconnected, replaced etc. - what's strange again was it didn't have the EGR READY per the OP above, I drove it over 1k miles at various speeds etc as well...nada nothing, no one could help; then one day I got an OBD reader and randomly the status were all green lights- I took it to the P dealer and smog passed

I'll never figure out what the issues may have been specific to my car, but will anxiously see what's to follow at the next smog registration date in two years- will keep everyone posted then.

Hope all my fellow 6speeders are well!
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Infrequent use which can result in a less than perfect battery can cause all sorts of problems with these cars.

Have to add that if the car sits too long the gasoline can grow stale which can add insult to injury regarding smog compliance. Even though the snifter test is not used stale gas can possibly affect O2 sensor and converter readings which can result in the associated readiness tests being flagged as incomplete.

With infrequent use last fall and early this year my 996 Turbo manifested among other odd behavior a phantom secondary air injection error. The CEL didn't come on but when I had the car in for service the tech noticed the code was pending. He "conditioned" the battery and not only did this eliminate the pending code it cured a cabin ventilation fan rattle.

This rattle has come on and gone a few times since but I have found using the car about every other day for a 30 mile work commute or 60 miles round trip keeps the rattle away and no other odd behavior has reappeared.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:49 PM
yaknart33 is on a distinguished road
When the PCM loses power or a code reader has cleared the codes you will not pass smog until the system goes through a monitor self test.This is called a "Drive Cycle" there is a specific procedure to drive that allows the PCM to perform tests on systems like the Cat converter,egr ,evaporative,ego sensors etc.The rosd test will specify fuel tank at least 1/2 full then three times accelerate from 0- 30 mph stop repeat.There are several procedures depending on the vehicle.This allows the PCM to test operation of the emissions systems constantly as you drive.If the PCM detects a 15% change in the operation of emissions it generates a CEL and failure code.In Calif they used toi run the vehicle on dynos for a smog check ,now a visual and PCM test is all they do.Its very hard to modify any emission system without a code or a communication failure thats picked up by the PCM.If there is a performance program in it ,unless its CARB approved it will hinder the smog check as well .