GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

2014 GT3 Title concern- Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 11:34 AM
PHIKEL will become famous soon enoughPHIKEL will become famous soon enough
2014 GT3 Title concern- Help

I'm looking to the GT3 enthusiast on this site for some feedback.
I'm currently selling my 2007 911 tt to move into a 2014-2015 GT3. I have found a car in Denver at Prestige that fits my options list and is also in the color pallet I would accept. I believe the price to be fair and they have offered a reasonable trade in value for my car. Here is my concern. The car was "Bought Back" by PCNA due to the Engine replacement recall and according to CARFAX the title is "Branded". I have been working with the GM at the dealership and they have shown me the vehicle title which does not reflect a Branded condition. The dealership GM contacted CARFAX and requested they change the report however they claim they will not as the car was bought back. Is this typical? Have any of you bought a car with this same condition.
I appreciate your feedback.
Thank you

http://www.prestigeimports.net/inven...ac2a98es183146

Last edited by PHIKEL; 02-26-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:18 PM
Several looks but no comments. I know the whole 2014 issue has been beat to death on the forum, I've searched and read all of the threads. What's confusing is the title on this car does not reflect it as "Branded". It comes with a CPO warranty as well.
See attached

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GT3 Title.JPG
Views:	948
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	441334  

Last edited by PHIKEL; 02-26-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:31 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
Might be because you message is confusing. You say GT3 in one place and GTS in another. If it's a GT3 that was part of the engine issue I would not be too concerned.

In general I would ask for documentation on the change. Is it a CPO? You might also call PCNA with the VIN and see what they can tell you about it.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:35 PM
Thank you for the catch on the typo, I've changed it to GT3. The car is CPO covered.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:24 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Well, the ad reads:

"That is on the history but should not have much of an effect on the value as Porsche replaced all 2014 GT3 engines and warranties the 2014 longer than the 2015!"

If you don't want a "branded" GT3 avoid a 2014 MY.

If the car checks out and is available for a price that if you pay it you can look yourself in the mirror the next day, get the car.

Be sure you save a copy of the ad and get as much paperwork as you can that shows the engine was replaced under recall.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:49 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Macster
Well, the ad reads: "That is on the history but should not have much of an effect on the value as Porsche replaced all 2014 GT3 engines and warranties the 2014 longer than the 2015!" If you don't want a "branded" GT3 avoid a 2014 MY. If the car checks out and is available for a price that if you pay it you can look yourself in the mirror the next day, get the car. Be sure you save a copy of the ad and get as much paperwork as you can that shows the engine was replaced under recall.
Only around 20-30 2014 GT3s of the 450 U.S. GT3s were returned by the owners resulting in a branded Title listed as "buyback". All others have clean titles. If it is a branded title you should get a significant discount, even though there really is no difference between it and the clear title cars.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Only around 20-30 2014 GT3s of the 450 U.S. GT3s were returned by the owners resulting in a branded Title listed as "buyback". All others have clean titles. If it is a branded title you should get a significant discount, even though there really is no difference between it and the clear title cars.
If that is true then, that only 20 to 30 2014's were returned by the owners, bought back by the factory, and then received replacement engines it is a case of the dealer saying something -- essentially all 2014's got new engines -- to get the prospective buyer to buy the car as soon as possible and to pay as much for the car as possible.

In this case then that not all 2014 cars received new engines, this car is an outlier of sorts and its value could be diminished.

Could be.

I'm not sure the fact the car received a replacement engine is all that much a negative as it is unlikely the car will ever get to the point that the fact the engine isn't the engine the car left the factory with is sufficient reason to devalue the car.

'course, if the prospective buyer wants to use the fact the car is "branded" arising from the engine being replaced he is free to do so.

But he can't be bothered too much or act like he is bothered too much or the seller is going to see through this as just a negotiating ploy.

I will follow with interest how this plays out, that's for sure.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:47 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Macster
If that is true then, that only 20 to 30 2014's were returned by the owners, bought back by the factory, and then received replacement engines it is a case of the dealer saying something -- essentially all 2014's got new engines -- to get the prospective buyer to buy the car as soon as possible and to pay as much for the car as possible. In this case then that not all 2014 cars received new engines, this car is an outlier of sorts and its value could be diminished. Could be. I'm not sure the fact the car received a replacement engine is all that much a negative as it is unlikely the car will ever get to the point that the fact the engine isn't the engine the car left the factory with is sufficient reason to devalue the car. 'course, if the prospective buyer wants to use the fact the car is "branded" arising from the engine being replaced he is free to do so. But he can't be bothered too much or act like he is bothered too much or the seller is going to see through this as just a negotiating ploy. I will follow with interest how this plays out, that's for sure.
Sorry, my post wasn't clear. All 785 2014 GT3 had their engines replaced. It can be confirmed individually with PCNA, but all 2014 should have come or received a document confirming the engine replacement for that specific VIN.

Along with the engine replacement, the 2014's received a 5 year 100,000 mile factory warranty. I suppose it is possible someone held out and didn't replace the engine, but I doubt it. We were all given generous compensation packages in addition to the warranty. I can't imagine why anyone would risk the original motor as well as miss out on the warranty and thousands of dollars back.

There were confirmed 20 buy backs that all went to auction. All sold for MSRP or more. There was an additional unconfirmed 10 or so buy backs that also went to auction. These are the only cars that have a branded title as MFR Buy Back. By now, I'm sure there are some wrecked ones that could have affected titles. No GT3 is branded for engine replacement. They are branded for buy back/lemon law enforcement.

I followed this closely as mine was on the factory line at the time of the stop sale in February 2014. Mine got the engine replacement done at the factory in July and was delivered in September.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:23 PM
Thank you all for your feedback. This GT3 did have the engine replacement done and comes with an extended CPO warranty. Mechanically I'm not worried with the car. The selling price seems to be taking into account some level CARFAX negative reporting. Can any of you make sense of the clean title?
My inclination is to buy the car for what I think is a fair price realizing that if I sell in 3 or 4 years I bought it right and can sell at a price that reflects that. Before purchasing I will confirm that all paperwork is in place related to the recall.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:54 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Dealers will try to make you feel warm & fuzzy with the extended warranty etc....

What will the owner after you want to see on the CARFAX? Probably not a "lemon/buyback " regardless of the story.

My opinion is no way....

Buy the right car not the deal.

Good luck....

Last edited by HotHonda; 02-28-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by PHIKEL
Thank you all for your feedback. This GT3 did have the engine replacement done and comes with an extended CPO warranty. Mechanically I'm not worried with the car. The selling price seems to be taking into account some level CARFAX negative reporting. Can any of you make sense of the clean title?
My inclination is to buy the car for what I think is a fair price realizing that if I sell in 3 or 4 years I bought it right and can sell at a price that reflects that. Before purchasing I will confirm that all paperwork is in place related to the recall.
Based on what Nikolas posted for this 2014 to have a "branded" title it is "branded" not because of the engine replacement but due to something else, a "buyback/lemon law enforcement". "[L]aw enforcement"? Not sure what that means.

Regardless, it would appear the car you are considering has a "story", but you do not know what it is.

This is only going to hurt resale value down the road. If resale value is important to you, and I read between the lines it is, this car may not be for you.

An important rule about used car buying is to buy the best example you can find and afford.

Is the car you have found the best example and the only one you can afford?

Old 02-28-2016, 10:54 AM
I would agree with Macster. Once the title is tagged by Carfax, it's on there. I'm guessing the dealer hasn't shown you the title?

Get the VIN and call PCNA. Also verify it is a CPO (6 year 100,000 mile warranty) or just extended like all 2014 (5 year 100,000)

Aa far as I know, branded titled cars cannot be CPO'd

Old 02-28-2016, 11:13 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
The CARFAX report is in the dealer link OP listed....

Run don't walk....

Old 02-28-2016, 12:09 PM
It is clearly a buyback given the dates and mileage/owner. As such it is considered branded under lemon law of the given state. Some states are different and there was concern of title washing. A buyback is considered a lemon even if there is nothing wrong with the car. Given the title issue either walk or ask for a significant discount.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Thanks again for all of your feedback. I'm going to walk (run) away from this one. I'll keep looking for the the right car without the story. All of your comments are appreciated.

Kelly

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.