GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Need Master Techs working @ PORSCHE Dealerships and\or race teams- Gearbox project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 05:07 PM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
Need Master Techs working @ PORSCHE Dealerships and\or race teams- Gearbox project

Looking for Master Techs who work @ PORSCHE Dealerships and\or race teams. I need help with a gearbox project. Have it half way torn up. Need the guidance and expertise to build it the right way. Diff is out. Rear case is out. About to split the middle case from front.
I'm in Dana Point, California. It would be ideal if they are close. Please PM me.
Any referrals would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by ADAMNSONS; 08-21-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:37 PM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
im guessing by the pic this is a 996tt trans?
996 gt2.

996, 997 tt, gt2, gt3 boxes use the same mainshaft, gears right? With varying gear ratios.... 997.2 gt2rs 1,2,3 are supposed to be better from what I have been reading.

Can 991, TTs use the same gears as 996, 997 tt, gt2, gt2rs? Vise versa?

Old 08-22-2017, 11:06 PM
use 997gt2 mainshaft and 997 gt2 1-3 gears. you can use 996tt 4-6 but install steel syncros from gt2 in all 6 gears. if your building 4 digit high hp go to rader transmissions and use 1-4 straight cut gears.

fwiw unless you have torn these trans down before its minimal labor to have a shop like rader do it. just the syncros alone can be installed 2 different ways that look right but only 1 way is. if not done properly they will grind and fail to engage properly. stay away from gt3 gearing its wrong for a turbo. rader has a lot of different ratios to choose from. while its out do the gt3 shift linkage , cms billet forks and trap door and billet sideplate. also a cms spray bar if your going to run a trans cooler
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the GT2RS route but by the time you go that way, I thought it would be the right time possibly to go with straight cut 1-3, maybe even 1-4. Cost of synchros can add up like crazy. I've had straight cut boxes in my GT4 and GC8 and liked it a lot. Not for the faint hearted. That's for sure. I'd love to go straight cut. I'm not planning on making crazy power. 700-750 at the tires is plenty for a RWD car. Beyond that, it would be a traction nightmare. IMHO

My gearbox comes\came with the cooler. Does the GT3s not come with that? I don't remember seeing the TTs with it. Was thinking about adding a filter like this:

I have spoken to Rader and though I don't have anything against the guy, he came across as a true believer of PORSCHE TAX. It really rubs me the wrong way when they try sticking it to you just because it's a Porsche. What ever. That's their Karma...
I started tearing down the Gbox to see what was the problem, and asked him a couple of questions where his answer was "you should have boxed it up and sent it to me". Like I told him, I just wanted to look inside and see what was going on. I'm qurious.

Did you mean Bill Rader, or is there someone else called Raider

Here is a question to you wise and knowledgeable members:

Are the gears interchangambe between 996,997 6speed manual, with a 991 6speed manual? Say 2014 model year...

Old 08-25-2017, 05:42 AM
if you have the gt2 trans you dont need any filter. the cooler will do the job.
rader is bill rader. he doesnt give out much info because building trans is all he does. if you dropped off that trans for a 997gt2 upgrade and steel syncros it would run about 7k$. nice thing is he has a trans table to test the entire unit before it ever leaves so they know everything works as it should. straight cut gears actually cost less than oem gears. about 880$ per gear.
Who has straight cut gears? Would be nice to talk to them.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:09 PM
Rader has them
Thank you.

I found 3rd and 4th Quaife gears for fraction of the cost! The teeth are like twice the thickness if not more which is great. Pretty decent gear ratios to boot.

Keeping my 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th stock. Going from 2nd to 3rd, RPM drop is bigger which will be good for a Turbo car making around 700@tires. Then it's close ratio 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th. Second gear was always great; awesome pull with even 500@tires. I'm sure it will be that much better with 700+.
1st gear is pretty much useless. Just to get rolling from a stop.
I'm sure it would have been better with Gt2rs 1st and 2nd but I'm saving my money. Daydreaming about a sequential box

I will do a write up when done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.