GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

My GT3 is too young to Smoke ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 03:24 PM
bjmurph is on a distinguished road
My GT3 is too young to Smoke ...

GT3s smoke on startup - Yes heard it all before - It's 'normal'

Yes, I know this issue has been debated ad nauseum, but I believe that accepting this phenomenon as 'normal' just isn't good enough for an expensive hard core sports car.

I am seeking comments and constructive opinion on this issue.

I have a 2007 997.1 GT3 that has 20k km on the clock and is in fine condition both mechanically and cosmetically. I bought it in 2014, and cannot remember it smoking initially, but it seems to have developed a habit in the last 18 month to 2 years. I should state that I do (almost) all my own servicing.

A couple of days ago I started the car up after it had not been used for several weeks, and the smoke that came forth was horrendous. Also it continued to smoke for the next 5 km, though it ran well. My first thought was that the motor had blown, however when I started the car later that day, there was no smoke and the engine ran perfectly.

Now thinking out loud. For the engine to blow smoke, oil must be getting into the inlet system, and it appears that the longer the car is not used, then more oil finds its way in.

I tried to find out what kind of Air/Oil Separator (AOS) the GT3 has but could not find any reference to it.

So I am wondering that the combination of a separate oil tank that sits quite high relative to the engine is allowing oil to seep into the inlet via the AOS?

So I do not believe the AOS is faulty as if this were so, then the smoke would be continuous and/or the engine would run badly.

I also do not think that the smoke is coolant as the level remains constant and the smoke comes only after some inactive time.

I've also considered that perhaps my oil level is too high, and plan to drain a litre out to see if that makes any difference. I'm currently using Mobil 1 5W50 oil (It's hot up here in Queensland Australia)

I would appreciate any suggestions about this, and especially if anyone has a schematic of the GT3 oil system or details of the GT3 AOS so I can get my head around this.

I would appreciate any comments ...

Old 02-19-2018, 12:53 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Sell it. Has nothing to do w/ being expensive and shouldn't smoke. The engine is sideways. Sometimes you'll get smoke on startup.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:10 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
According to the instructors at the PSDS, it's very common, if not normal.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:47 AM
RAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud of
I'd worry if it didn't smoke. Love the fact that it smokes on startup.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:56 PM
gago1101 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I'd worry if it didn't smoke. Love the fact that it smokes on startup.
+1

Completely normal and expected.