Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997GT3/RS Sports Exhaust switch defeat??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
ze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really nice
The rather artificial transitions annoy me so I tried this week-end disconnecting the solenoid. I now understand why Porsche put valves in the muffler, the resonnance between 2000 and 2800 rpm is really not enjoyable to my ears. Reminds me of Tubis on my 550.
I more or less resolved myself to keep using sport mode, if I am driving fast I'll be above 3000 rpm all the time anyway, and won't hear that damn transition.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ze_shark
The rather artificial transitions annoy me so I tried this week-end disconnecting the solenoid. I now understand why Porsche put valves in the muffler, the resonnance between 2000 and 2800 rpm is really not enjoyable to my ears. Reminds me of Tubis on my 550.
I more or less resolved myself to keep using sport mode, if I am driving fast I'll be above 3000 rpm all the time anyway, and won't hear that damn transition.
I been driving with it disconnected for months now. I actually sratred to like the drone and became use to it. lol. Last week i pluged it back in and drove to the dealer. Even in sport mode it was so quiet i will never keep it connected again. This is just holding me over till i buy an exhaust though.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:19 AM
P97
P97 is infamous around these parts
If you get the Sharkwerks bypass, there's no drone in any RPM if you unplug the solenoid.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:07 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
[quote=DrPeter;1295115]I

Here is how the PSE works:

The PSE mufflers have two pipes coming out of each muffler.
Each muffler has three chambers in it.
The bypass pipes have a damper inside, which when closed , makes the exhaust go thru the entire muffler. When open, the exhaust exits already from the first muffler chamber (loud).

does it work to unhook the vacuume hoses down at the muffler and cap them?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by P97
If you get the Sharkwerks bypass, there's no drone in any RPM if you unplug the solenoid.
Really? is it much louder with the plug pulled and the muffler bypass then just the muffler bypass in sport mode?

Old 01-07-2008, 03:33 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
I just unplugged mine and went for a ride. It sounds much better than in sport mode and it is consistent it does not fade out after you get going much better. I taped up the connections and tie strapped it out of the way. Much better. Other than waking up your mother-in-law, any down side to leaving it unplugged.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:41 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Unplugging it will only give you the Sport mode with drone when under 3500RPM. No difference at WOT. The GMG exhaust will give you louder and higher F1 tone....

Old 01-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by toadinlaw
I just unplugged mine and went for a ride. It sounds much better than in sport mode and it is consistent it does not fade out after you get going much better. I taped up the connections and tie strapped it out of the way. Much better. Other than waking up your mother-in-law, any down side to leaving it unplugged.
No downside. People with Ferraris and Lambos have been doing similar things for years. I come home late at night a lot, and my neighbor told me i wake up her kids every night if i can do something to be quieter!

Old 08-31-2008, 01:53 AM
smadja is infamous around these parts
folks can you help me out here.. I tried pulling the plug for a half hour yesterday...
I pushed the metal clamp in, but nothing would budge.. I mean nothing, in any direction....
Do you just squeeze in the locking wire clip in and pull the ligher color plug?
Mine would not move at all... is there a special move? twist?

Old 08-31-2008, 02:48 AM
ze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really nice
Push the clip, pull the lower part of the plug (where the wire harness comes in) underneath it. No moving, no twisting.
An alternative is to pull out the vacuum hose that comes on the side from the right, has the same effect.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:48 AM
I tried... nothing doing.

So there is the upper, lighter color portion of the plug,
and there is the darker, lower portion.

After you push the clip, is it the entire lower/darker portion that comes out, or just a subsection of the lower one, like the tubing of the wires only?

I tried both, nothing works.. whish I had a pic of it disconnected to help me visualize where to leverage the pull...

RIght now if I pull any harder I will break the damn thing...
:-(

Old 08-31-2008, 06:09 AM
WildBill is infamous around these parts
My plug has one orange wire and one red wire w/purple stripe. Just squeeze in the metal spring clip and the plug should pull off easily. If you are having to use force or effort you are not doing something right.

EDIT: I used P97's photo and circled the solenoid that you are looking for. The black plug with the orange and red wire plugs into the bottom of the little gray box. The metal spring clip on the plug squeezes in and the plug will easily pull off.

NOTE: The black plug is not shown in the photo, just the gray box that the black plug attaches to. The photo was apparently taken after the plug was removed.

Last edited by WildBill; 08-31-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:13 AM
first of all, let me thank you for trying again...
yep... that's what I got.. but nothing moves...
gonna try again this mornin

Old 08-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Got it! Finally!
Thanks for all the advice guys...
The sharkwerks silencer is absolutely superb!
no droning, no added resonance, not exceedingly loud...
just a more aggressive...
the sound of the car now matches its looks... perfection accomplished.
this is now by far the best sounding car I have ever driven, including an F430 sypder
Lovin' it!

One last question... I blue taped both ends to avoid deris/grease/dust and rattle...
You think blue tape is ok in the engien compartment?

Last edited by smadja; 08-31-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
unplugged today.. omg.. much better at idle - 4200 rpm

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997GT3/RS Sports Exhaust switch defeat??