Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

Why not an 04 Gallardo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Malu59RT

An early 04 will probably have a clutch that wears in 10-20k depending on usage. There were several revisions to the clutch since the Gallardo came out, and on a manual car, you should get a lot more mileage. If you buy an e-gear car, especially an 04-05, you probably won't get a lot of miles before needing to replace it. Using reverse a lot in an early e-gear car will also cause a lot of clutch wear.

OEM clutches are ~$5k, and can be had cheaper, or you can convert them to a kevlar clutch with 2-3x better wear. Labor costs will be based on where you take it, and the engine doesn't have to come out like in the Murcielago's, but it's not an easy job. I would budget $7k for a clutch change if you have to do it, but you could probably get out cheaper.

That being said, there are people with unusually high miles on their original clutch, probably due to extended highway use.

The oil filter is placed under the intake manifold which can make oil changes tricky, but I never had it done at the dealership. Thankfully, Dallas Performance is in my back yard, and knows the Gallardo's very well
Very helpful! Thank you...

What about engine & transmission life?

Old 07-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Malu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Leo997TT
Very helpful! Thank you...

What about engine & transmission life?
I personally only know of a stock 2009 LP560 that broke a transmission, other than that, the ones I hear about breaking are on heavily modified cars. I'm sure there are exceptions, just not common to hear, the Graziano transmissions are fine for a stock car IMHO.

The engines are a crapshoot unfortunately. I've heard of stock ones grenading with low miles, cars with very high mileage (60-90k miles) without issue, and I personally know of a stock one that made over 1100whp, and when it was torn apart for a forged motor, didn't have any signs of wear and looked perfect. The rod bolts on the stock 04-08 motors seem to be the weak point, and I was told not to engine brake at high rpm's for that reason. I always engine braked on my 08 Viper, and completely stopped doing that and rev-matching on the Lambo, even though people love the rev-matching on the e-gear. I was just being extra cautious because I didn't want to buy a new motor so soon, lol.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:31 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Well I bought an 04. 3600 miles! Light mods...no tune. Loving it!

Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Well I bought an 04. 3600 miles! Light mods...no tune. Loving it!
WOW!!! Really nice!

Did you trade the 997TT?

Old 07-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Malu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to behold
Congrats, that's a gorgeous car! Is it a manual trans?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:47 PM
gvcap10 has a spectacular aura aboutgvcap10 has a spectacular aura aboutgvcap10 has a spectacular aura about
You will love the car! Congrats! I also have an 04 and it has been a fantastic car. If you get up to Dallas, give us a heads up.....

Old 07-25-2013, 10:37 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Nope sold the 997. Its a 6 speed...only way to go for me. Ill absolutely hit you up if Im in Dallas.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Nope sold the 997. Its a 6 speed...only way to go for me. Ill absolutely hit you up if Im in Dallas.
How would you compare the 997TT to the Gallardo? As you know I'm looking to trade my car in the next few weeks

Last edited by LeoLambo; 07-28-2013 at 09:23 PM.