Lotus Evora, Elise, Exige, Esprit, Seven etc.

Lotus Elise as a DD (long commute)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:03 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
I went from 996 to elise. Even though my 996 was lowered and had ear deafening exhaust, it was more comfy than the Elise by a long shot. The lotus is my fun car, but I often go through phases where I drive it for a week or two straight. My commute is about 40 miles each way, with little traffic. It would be tolerable to drive it daily if it weren't for the rain and traffic, which make this car miserable.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:57 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I picked up my Exige in Atlanta GA and drove it back the same day with my brother to Brooklyn, NY.

I learned the following: Cabin noise is very high, many conversations were on the level of screaming. The seats are comfortable, we both managed to sleep in the passenger side no problem (I'm 26, hes 21, Im sure age plays a factor), the AC for heat worked great, since it was winter we didnt need it for cooling so I dunno how it will be in the summer, iPod hookup - essential for long road trips, radio quality, nothing great about it, but at least you can hear it over the engine/road noise. Getting in and out of the car gets progressively easier the more you do it, it became about as difficult/easy as getting into my 997 when I had race seats with a lot of thigh support.

I've driven it as a DD a few times back in Brooklyn, just because I couldn't stay away from it so long and as far as a DD goes it's livable. My biggest annoyance is that there is no sound insulation and the car is so stiff that driving it on NY roads makes me feel like Im literally killing the car. If I had good Cali roads wouldnt be an issue. Getting in and out isnt so bad when you learn to sit on the side for the support. Visibility you get used to as well. I would say that overall its quite comfortable, no pains after our long road trip.

So really test drive the car, if you love it, I think you'll see that you can manage it as a daily driver. If you like it, then its a weekend car.

I still think as a single DD its a bit of a stretch, its just nice to have a backup thats more comfortable that you can use every now and then.

I can tell you that my gf refers to the 997TT as the "comfortable" car now after just one ride in the Exige.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:33 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Good answers guys!
Thanks, I'm keeping the 911

Old 01-05-2010, 04:31 PM
jjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to behold
ill give another perspective. i live in downtown boston and DD my lotus even in the snow. as long as you realize this isnt the most practicle car in the world there is no reason it cant be driven every day. i honestly dont mind it at all. i dont have the time to drive or the space to park two cars, so my toy is my DD.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Ducky993 is just really niceDucky993 is just really niceDucky993 is just really niceDucky993 is just really nice
Originally Posted by jjm4life
ill give another perspective. I live in downtown boston and dd my lotus even in the snow. As long as you realize this isnt the most practicle car in the world there is no reason it cant be driven every day. I honestly dont mind it at all. I dont have the time to drive or the space to park two cars, so my toy is my dd.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 PM
jjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Ducky993

leave tst to do some research?

Old 01-18-2010, 12:53 AM
INFINITE is just really niceINFINITE is just really niceINFINITE is just really niceINFINITE is just really nice
I bought an 05 elise brand new for my girl friend in 05.. i am 6ft 4" .. the car is hard to get into with the top on.. once in i fit fine and its actually very comfortable.. the ac however sucks bad and im in cali .. good luck

Old 08-04-2012, 09:52 PM
djmm187 has a spectacular aura aboutdjmm187 has a spectacular aura aboutdjmm187 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jjm4life
ill give another perspective. i live in downtown boston and DD my lotus even in the snow. as long as you realize this isnt the most practicle car in the world there is no reason it cant be driven every day. i honestly dont mind it at all. i dont have the time to drive or the space to park two cars, so my toy is my DD.
+1... i have an 05 as my daily. my commute is about 40-50 miles depending on the route and traffic. I absolutely love it. Yes it is small, loud, rough, and completely impractical, but you feel bad *** everyday (and you cant complain about the gas mileage)!

No matter what car you go with, if you crack 100 during the morning grind, its going to be a great day!