Lotus Evora, Elise, Exige, Esprit, Seven etc.

How bad is an Elise as a road car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:13 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
My exige doubles as a daily on occasion when the Porsche is in service and overall its a very good reliable car issues are:

Getting in/out - especially on short trips
Poor rear visibility
Very limited trunk space
Other drives not seeing you

Overall its a great car to drive on the street. Once you are inside its very comfortable and ergonomic and of course a blast to drive.

Going back to back from exige to the 997TT makes the Turbo feel like an SUV.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Suprawillis is on a distinguished road
My elise is for sale. I like to go down a bucket list of cars that I have always wanted. With that said my assessment is that the elise can be made a daily car but I wouldn't do it. Everyone's daily driving thresholds differ, but that is just my opinion.

Mainly because these cars come with soft tires from the factory, so you would have to switch to a more road conventional tire unless you ilke replacing rear tires every 8k miles. I would never drive these cars in bad weather. Coming out of the factory at 1940 or so lbs, I couldn't imagine trying to shovel the snow covered roads in these things. If you live in a dry climate then I wouldn't worry about too much. The do-it yourself maintenance such as changing oil, plugs, coolant is a piece of cake. The only inconvenience is removing the several bolts holding on the lower panels.

As others stated, you can feel everything on the road. From the crown of the surface, to pebbles, etc. The interior cabin noise is very loud, but you can always drown that out with the radio. Air conditioning is not great, but it's not bad. Heating is okay. I have the gullwing style roof, and being 6'2, it makes life easier getting in and out of the car. But it is still a large pain in the ***. The attention is overwhelming. But despite all these common acknowledgements with other elise owners, I find myself sort of bummed out when the trip is over. Driving the car is very fun. Being alone is better in my opinion as you will be shoulder to shoulder with your passenger.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:36 AM
jjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by raiyu

Going back to back from exige to the 997TT makes the Turbo feel like an SUV.

this. my mother has a 997tt. feels heavy/massive by comparison.

i drove my exige through last winter, have the stock wheels with a set of blizzaks on them, but i think i might pick up an old jeep. not worth abusing this car like that.