Lotus Evora, Elise, Exige, Esprit, Seven etc.

does the Exige have a fixed roof or a Targa?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:29 PM
spooky is on a distinguished road
does the Exige have a fixed roof or a Targa?

i've never been that close to a Exige, but it always seemed to me that it had a fixed roof. just recently though, i've seen a few photos online with the roofs removed. just wanted to know if these photos i keep seeing are custom jobs or is the Targa roof a option?

Name:  14-1.jpg
Views: 5789
Size:  71.7 KB

Old 12-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
You can remove the roof (I have one). You can then order the Elise soft top and make a few changes to make it work if you want a soft top...

Roy

Old 12-14-2010, 03:48 PM
jjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to behold
^^^this.

its a lot of fun cruising with the roof off. you can hear the blower even better. takes like 5-10 mins and is a one man job.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:59 PM
spooky is on a distinguished road
a friend of mine in the UK has sat in a Exige and claims that European Exige's have a fixed roof and can't be taken off. perhaps certain earlier versions are like this?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Rob T is on a distinguished road
No, as far as I know, the roof on all Exige's are removable.

That said, I've never had mine off.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:57 AM
gotbhp? is a jewel in the roughgotbhp? is a jewel in the roughgotbhp? is a jewel in the rough
The roof is removable. In the 1 year+ of owning one, I never removed it. It sure was noisy though

Old 12-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
Originally Posted by spooky
a friend of mine in the UK has sat in a Exige and claims that European Exige's have a fixed roof and can't be taken off. perhaps certain earlier versions are like this?
There is no difference between the roof on a UK car and a US car. The factory does not sell the car as a "removable roof", however, the roof is just bolted on and can be removed in a few minutes. When you remove the roof, it effects the power because you have removed the scoop. Some owners have installed the Elise soft top on their Exige which does require cutting holes in the bodywork. Others just take the top off on nice days and put it back on later.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:28 AM
gotbhp? is a jewel in the roughgotbhp? is a jewel in the roughgotbhp? is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Tpup
There is no difference between the roof on a UK car and a US car. The factory does not sell the car as a "removable roof", however, the roof is just bolted on and can be removed in a few minutes. When you remove the roof, it effects the power because you have removed the scoop. Some owners have installed the Elise soft top on their Exige which does require cutting holes in the bodywork. Others just take the top off on nice days and put it back on later.
Unless you own a N/A Exige, then the scoop does nothing!

Old 12-16-2010, 06:15 PM
jjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gotbhp?
The roof is removable. In the 1 year+ of owning one, I never removed it. It sure was noisy though
the squeaks and rattles are part of the cars character. at least thats what i tell myself.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by jjm4life
the squeaks and rattles are part of the cars character. at least thats what i tell myself.
Can't hear many rattles when the throttle is wide open

Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Rob T is on a distinguished road
can't hear many rattles when the throttle is wide open
+1

Old 12-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Unless you own a N/A Exige, then the scoop does nothing!
I don't get it. On 08 and later cars the scoop is attached directly to the intercooler. Removing it impacts the car by 20hp or more according to Lotus.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tpup
I don't get it. On 08 and later cars the scoop is attached directly to the intercooler. Removing it impacts the car by 20hp or more according to Lotus.
Sorry, should have clarified I guess. N/A = naturally aspirated. 2006 Exiges had no supercharger, and the roof scoop was blocked off/non-functional.