Lotus Evora, Elise, Exige, Esprit, Seven etc.

Thinking about Lotus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:30 PM
TSC85 is on a distinguished road
Thinking about Lotus

Okay, was wondering what you guys think about this idea. I have always liked the look of the Lotus Elise/Exige, and feel in love when I drove one last summer. However, after lots of searching (and several failed deals), I broke down and bought a 02 996 Cabriolet.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my Porsche. I've had no problems whatsoever with the car, but the wife likes the Lotus as well (shes not too keen on Porsche for some reason). So my questions is would this be a wise choice. I got the impression from driving it, that they were not of great build quality, but I swear my face hurt from smiling so bike while driving it.

Suggestions anyone...????

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-01-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: not enough posts and not in open forum
Old 03-02-2011, 01:37 PM
erubin will become famous soon enough
The answer to this question is, it depends. I own a 996 Cab and a Lotus exige cup car for the track. The two cars are completely different animals and each suited for different uses and driving experiences. Do you want a street legal go-kart or a more refined street car?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Both, but maybe you will have better luck convincing the wife than I have, lol. She says NO GO on two unless she gets a viper first. Although, then I won't have the funds so yeah... lol I don't want to do the track, just a weekend warrior to blast around in once or twice a month.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Kjeld is on a distinguished road
I agree. The 996 and Elise are completely different. That said, An Elise and a Viper in the same family is never going work. Think ballet dancing and dog fighting. Families do not share those interests. There is "different", and there is "comically opposed".

Seriously tho, I love the Elise too. I am just a little too old to climb in and out of it gracefully. But what a ball to drive! I wouldn't worry much about the build quality, tho most avoid the 2005 models. I owned a '91 Elan years ago. The first lotus with Japanese drivetrains and wiring looms. Great car.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:11 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TSC85
Both, but maybe you will have better luck convincing the wife than I have, lol. She says NO GO on two unless she gets a viper first. Although, then I won't have the funds so yeah... lol I don't want to do the track, just a weekend warrior to blast around in once or twice a month.
Kjeld hit it on the head (regarding the Viper). Has she ever driven one for more than 30 minutes? My wife wanted a 911 until she drove one.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
I owned a tracked a Viper GTS and currently have a 996 Turbo and an Exige 240 in the garage. It does come down to a simple question, do you want a street car you can track or a track car you and drive on the street. The Elise/Exige is the later imo, it's much more "raw" than any Porsche including the GT3. In the summer I'll drive the Porsche quite a bit around town. I use the Lotus at the track and drive it occasionally; it's just to raw as a DD imo.

As a side note I sold my 996 Cab last summer and I really regret it. It's not as fast as either of my cars but I really miss having the top down. Once you go topless it's hard to go back

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:33 AM
thnxbabe has a spectacular aura aboutthnxbabe has a spectacular aura about
Does Elise handling and 911 refinement = Evora or Evora S????

Old 03-05-2011, 01:04 PM
trackaddict is on a distinguished road
Have both...they are each great in their own ways.

That's what I've done and I'm loving it.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to hold off for a bit at least until this summer, until I figure out what this crazy job of hers is about to do. If it puts us in Australia for a year then I'm not shuffling cars around again to either lose a bunch of money or have something around for my friends to enjoy while I'm gone

Who knows though, I might get the lotus if we don't move and keep it until the 2013 Vette comes out, I think that will be another one we both will like.

Oh and jaspergtr, yeah we had a viper in hawaii for a bit, (won't do that again). Oahu is a ***** on the knee with the heavy clutch in traffic, and not too mention that the fastest speed limit is barely 50mph, lol. It was a waste there for sure. The Porsche on the other hand, different story, it loves the curves and behaves way more civilized than the 500hp scary as hell red snake that was just waiting to spin out, lol. Being in Texas though I think a viper wouldn't be so bad, while the Porsche goes to waste where I live.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:23 PM
mastermixer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by trackaddict
Have both...they are each great in their own ways.

That's what I've done and I'm loving it.
Agreed!

Old 04-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Sobo is on a distinguished road
The only thing that turns me off from the lotus is door sills. Trying to get out is a real pain in the rear.

Can't go wrong with either car though from a fun stand point.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 PM
TrunkIntheFront is on a distinguished road
Im Looking to get into one also. Just Finding the right one is a Pain. If its meant to be then its meant ..the search continues and i still need to do my homework on these cars.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:03 PM
DaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really nice
Originally Posted by trackaddict
have both...they are each great in their own ways.

That's what i've done and i'm loving it.
+1 !

Old 04-13-2011, 09:07 PM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
Hi guys I have a vantage and recently went to the track and loved it but I was thinking in buying an exige for the track days.
My question is, I'm 6"2 do I fit in the exige?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM
TiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RPVantage
Hi guys I have a vantage and recently went to the track and loved it but I was thinking in buying an exige for the track days.
My question is, I'm 6"2 do I fit in the exige?
i'm 6'5, 230 and fit in my Elise just fine

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking about Lotus