Macan Forum for the new Porsche Macan

Macan vs Cayenne who is going to buy this thing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 03:28 PM
SeaCay is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mightyanxious
Car & Driver says my GTS's curb weight is 5394 lb.

Macan Turbo 4292 lb.

Porsche.com/usa has the curb weights at 4597 (GTS) and 4244 (Macan Turbo). In any event I expect the Macan to maneuver in all directions noticeably quicker particularly in urban traffic areas.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:43 PM
kram96 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tom kerr
with ya!! that was my criteria for the Panamera, it also fits in one piece in my Cayenne, I am thinking you will need to take the front wheel off to put in the Macan??

I'm really hoping that the wheel would not need to come off. The Macan's cargo area is 17.7cu ft with seats up and 53cu ft with the rear seats down. My FX has 24.8 with the rears up and 62cu ft with them down.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:44 PM
mightyanxious is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SeaCay
Porsche.com/usa has the curb weights at 4597 (GTS) and 4244 (Macan Turbo). In any event I expect the Macan to maneuver in all directions noticeably quicker particularly in urban traffic areas.
That's for the new GTS. Mine's a 2008 so about 500lbs heavier.

Thank God for PDCC

Old 11-22-2013, 06:25 PM
stormeister is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tom kerr
with ya!! that was my criteria for the Panamera, it also fits in one piece in my Cayenne, I am thinking you will need to take the front wheel off to put in the Macan??

Nice looking Trek. My Trek (Livestrong paint scheme in black/yellow) fits fine in my Q5.... not so well in my 911.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:09 AM
Kief is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kram96
The Macan's cargo area is 17.7cu ft with seats up and 53cu ft with the rear seats down
I've been trying to visualize the "practicality" of the cargo space of the Macan. I would prefer to leave the rear seats up when transporting my German Shepherd. With the specs noted above, what would currently be a comparably-sized vehicle? The closest I found (w/seats up) was the Mini Countryman 16.5 rear seats up/42.2 seats down. Even the fugly X1 has more space 25/56. And the SQ5 has considerably more than the Macan given the more conservative style 29.1/57.3

Old 11-23-2013, 03:23 AM
Found this pic over on Rennlist. At the very least, if my GSD can't fit with the rear seats up (more b/c of the sloping rear), hopefully the rear seats fold "completely flat" and it looks as if they do. Many manufactures note their seats fold flat, but there is still a slight rise--my X5 seats for example

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	304991  
Old 11-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Kief
I've been trying to visualize the "practicality" of the cargo space of the Macan. I would prefer to leave the rear seats up when transporting my German Shepherd. With the specs noted above, what would currently be a comparably-sized vehicle? The closest I found (w/seats up) was the Mini Countryman 16.5 rear seats up/42.2 seats down. Even the fugly X1 has more space 25/56. And the SQ5 has considerably more than the Macan given the more conservative style 29.1/57.3

Based on the Q5, I would not put a full grown GSD in the back of the Macan.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Based on the Q5, I would not put a full grown GSD in the back of the Macan.
Yeah, when I test drove the SQ5 I thought the cargo area was pretty tight. I can only imagine the Macan! However, I did manage to squeeze two GSDs in a GTI for some quick trips (1 in the cargo area, 1 on the rear seats) But I think even the GTI has more useable space! I guess if with the Macan's rear seats down one doesn't fit then I will probably get another X5. My perfect solution would be if Audi ever brought over the RS4/6 Avants!

Old 11-23-2013, 02:02 PM
stormeister is on a distinguished road
But I think even the GTI has more useable space!

My perfect solution would be if Audi ever brought over the RS4/6 Avants!

Late last year I moved my DD from a Mk V GTI to a Q5 Prestige S-Line 3.0 and there is not much difference in usable space. The Q5 is definitely larger, but not by much. I often had the seats down to transport my road bike, the only difference is the Q5 can have the front wheel straight.... the GTI needed me to turn the front wheel a bit.

BTW, the (US) Q5 3.0 is quick, quiet and comfortable. Audi build quality is solid. The automatic is OK, lazy in Normal but decent in Sport mode. When I add the extras to the Macan to match features to the Q5, the price is much higher.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Snig is a jewel in the roughSnig is a jewel in the roughSnig is a jewel in the rough

The figure you quote is misleading. The Q5 only has 19.7 cuft under the retractable decklid in the cargo area.

From Audi:
"The cargo area is one of the Audi Q5′s practical strengths. In its basic configuration it already offers a substantial 540 liters (19.07 cubic ft) of cargo space, which can be used very effectively. The floor is completely flat; the loading lip is only 69 centimeters (27.17 in) high and lies almost flush with the floor. The loading width is an impressive 105 centimeters (41.34 in) even between the wheel arches, and the loading length 93 centimeters (36.31 in)."

USA Marketing equals 29.1 cubic feet, because we like to jam as much crap in the back as possible.

The 17 cubic feet in the Macan is also the amount of space under the rear decklid. Remove that rear decklid and that is where you get the 29.1 cuft in the SQ5 and the Macan should have around 25 cuft when removed, just because of the sloping rear.

Last edited by Snig; 11-23-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by stormeister
Late last year I moved my DD from a Mk V GTI to a Q5 Prestige S-Line 3.0 and there is not much difference in usable space. The Q5 is definitely larger, but not by much. I often had the seats down to transport my road bike, the only difference is the Q5 can have the front wheel straight.... the GTI needed me to turn the front wheel a bit.
Yeah, when I first checked out the SQ5's cargo area w/the rear seats up, I thought this reminds my of my old MkV GTI in terms of size.

Originally Posted by Snig
The 17 cubic feet in the Macan is also the amount of space under the rear decklid. Remove that rear decklid and that is where you get the 29.1 cuft in the SQ5 and the Macan should have around 25 cuft when removed, just because of the sloping rear.
Thanks Snig! This means there might still be hope for me with the Macan! My dog should definitely feel comfortable with the rear seats flat, it's just then he tends to want to drive with me up in the driver's seat! If he can manage a few quick trips to the park or vet with the rear seats up even better.

Old 04-15-2022, 05:20 PM
Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !
Wife drives a 15 Audi Q7 Diesel with the super sport package. Now that the kids are driving think a Macan GTS or Turbo would be perfect for her!