Macan Forum for the new Porsche Macan

Will PAS stop the car by itself?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 AM
dbbarron has a spectacular aura aboutdbbarron has a spectacular aura about
Will PAS stop the car by itself?

I am aware that PAS will warn of an potential collision (assuming ACC off), but will it automatically apply braking force without driver intervention? If so, within what parameters (i.e., above/below a certain speed)?

db

Old 07-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Not sure on the Macan but on my BMW 650 it will cause the car to slow down to avoid getting too close to the car in front. Personally I didn't order for my Macan nor for my 991S as I find it relatively useless. If I can't keep an eye on the car in front of me I don't deserve to be driving.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:37 PM
rock300 is on a distinguished road
Here is a description of the adaptive cruise control with Porsche Active Safe (PAS) by Porsche. I don't mean to inundate you with brochure material but I think it may provide some answers.

"Available as an option, this cruise control function regulates your speed according to the distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front. A radar sensor monitors the road ahead up to a distance of 200 m. If you have set a cruising speed but have begun to gain on the vehicle in front because it is driving more slowly, this is detected by the radar sensor.

The system now reduces the speed of your vehicle at a maximum rate of 3.5 m/sec2 by restricting the throttle or by applying the brakes appropriate to the prevailing situation until the distance that you have preset is maintained. Your vehicle will now continue at a reduced speed. If the other vehicle decelerates further, adaptive cruise control will continue to reduce your cruising speed – even down to a halt.

For additional safety, if the system detects that the distance from the vehicle in front is decreasing, it will also prepare your vehicle for braking by precharging the braking system so that the brake pads are already in light contact with the brake discs. However, drivers still have to perform heavier braking themselves. As soon as the road ahead clears again, your vehicle will accelerate back up to the cruising speed originally set.

If your vehicle approaches the vehicle in front too quickly, Porsche Active Safe (PAS) will issue audible and visual warnings. In addition, the system briefly jerks the brakes and if necessary initiates target braking, with any braking pressure applied by the driver being increased within certain system limits."

Off topic note:While I understand the utility of such devices for daily driving or long distance driving purposes, I find the lack of driver participation causes the driving experience to be mind-numbingly boring. I want to enjoy driving because of an experience I cannot illustrate. When I car shop, I don't find it necessary to refrain myself from tacking on the latest options like adaptive cruise control and assisted active steering because a tepid driving experience just makes me weary.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:18 PM
rmmcdaniel is on a distinguished road
I have PAS (ACC) in my current and previous Cayenne Turbo. As last post mentions, PAS will not do full brake application. The system will display a yellow warning icon when it calculates that you are too close to the car in front and need more space to maintain safe distance/braking.

It will also display a large red warning, beep loudly, and jerk the brakes if it sense a pending collision but it will not apply and hold full force brakes.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:57 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
I think it will slow the car down, get your attention and the rest is up to you. Don't think it will stop the car 100%.