Macan Forum for the new Porsche Macan

Will new cayenne ride as tight as the macan??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 11:50 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Will new cayenne ride as tight as the macan??

So I was never a fan of small SUVs. I have a GLS and figured if you’re getting a jacked up heavy vehicle might as well go all the way...

I have ave been in a Macan loaner for 4 days while the 911 is in and I’m in love. It’s 100% Porsche (a feeling I’ve never fully had while driving any version of the cayenne).

I’d love to add one to the stable as my winter vehicle, but the leasing not very attractive. That’s besides the point. The reason for the post is my curiosity over whether the new cayenne can possibly drive this way. My bet would be a no.

The macan I’m in is a base 4 cal with 20inch wheels. The ride is near perfection. Im a big fan of steel springs over air suspension. I had a 6 cyl X5 back in 04’ and it was so much better to drive than the V8 at the time. More weight in the nose necessitates bigger tires and a more complicated and heavier suspension to try to contain the heavier engine etc etc...
I wonder what the variations of the Macan drove like, because this “base” model has me sold.

every cayenne I’ve ever driven feels heavy . The base suspensions (lease specials) are clearly designed for comfort (soccer moms). They are wallowy and somewhat scary at higher speeds on the gen I & II cars. The GTS rides beautifully, but now you’re at $125k+ which is a bit much for an suv and it looses some of that sleeper effect being conspicuously lower to the ground.

The new cayennes are at the dealer. I would be very interested in one if it rode 80% as tight as the Macan - but that’s a tall order,...

We’ll have to see what people say.

Regards,
DRP

Old 11-04-2018, 09:22 PM
equ
equ can only hope to improve
Haven't driven the new Cayenne, so can't help you there.

I was decided and shopping for a Cayenne diesel when, on a whim, drove a few versions... After a couple more drives, I wanted to find one with torque. When I finally found a CPO macan turbo with tow hitch & roof rails (it's small enough as it is), I pulled the trigger.

It's an excellent machine. I picked steel suspension with PASM over the air suspension. It rides well enough, especially on 19's. I like the connected feel of coils over air. I found the S a bit low on torque, requiring gearbox work to keep on boil. The 4-cyl had almost better delivery around town, but the S was better on the highway. The turbo is simply great, the interior is very 911-like with the dash and the doors, as is the view out the front of the hood.

It's a touch nose heavy, but somehow with enough power going to the rear, doesn't feel unbalanced on turns. Drives like a jacked up rally car, think old rs4. I haven't driven the '19 cayenne so I can't comment on your main question - but if I were to guess, "I doubt it". Cara is more strict, thinks the car should be donated or sold.
Originally Posted by drspeed
So I was never a fan of small SUVs. I have a GLS and figured if you’re getting a jacked up heavy vehicle might as well go all the way...

I have ave been in a Macan loaner for 4 days while the 911 is in and I’m in love. It’s 100% Porsche (a feeling I’ve never fully had while driving any version of the cayenne).

I’d love to add one to the stable as my winter vehicle, but the leasing not very attractive. That’s besides the point. The reason for the post is my curiosity over whether the new cayenne can possibly drive this way. My bet would be a no.

The macan I’m in is a base 4 cal with 20inch wheels. The ride is near perfection. Im a big fan of steel springs over air suspension. I had a 6 cyl X5 back in 04’ and it was so much better to drive than the V8 at the time. More weight in the nose necessitates bigger tires and a more complicated and heavier suspension to try to contain the heavier engine etc etc...
I wonder what the variations of the Macan drove like, because this “base” model has me sold.

every cayenne I’ve ever driven feels heavy . The base suspensions (lease specials) are clearly designed for comfort (soccer moms). They are wallowy and somewhat scary at higher speeds on the gen I & II cars. The GTS rides beautifully, but now you’re at $125k+ which is a bit much for an suv and it looses some of that sleeper effect being conspicuously lower to the ground.

The new cayennes are at the dealer. I would be very interested in one if it rode 80% as tight as the Macan - but that’s a tall order,...

We’ll have to see what people say.

Regards,
DRP

Old 11-05-2018, 10:19 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Thanks for the feedback Equ,

I hope the absence of any other responses is just do to the newness of the redesigned Cayenne. Performance SUVs are the oxymoron of our times. I have never driven in an SUV (aside from the Macan or Alfa Stelvio) that really encouraged spirited driving. Instead they are deigned, seemingly at great lengths, to be able to "cope" with the needs of a higher performance driver. You just can't overcome physics. I have a GLS550 right now that my wife drives. Its got massive power and torque and the roadholding is sufficient for a sporty vehicle, but beyond that the dynamics are uninspiring. The seat position is not sporty. The steering is dead and the suspension/chassis with air suspension and 295 tires all around is often scary as it follows ruts on the road. Hydroplaning also occurs at relative low speeds. I can only imagine how much more bastardized the parameters of performance are on the GLS63.

Point is, don't get a bigger SUV than you need and you should/could be rewarded with a better driving more enjoyable car to drive.

I never lusted after a Cayenne. I always felt they were initially taking advantage of the badge to sell SUVs. After the Gen II cayennes I came to see that they are excellent vehicles in their design and construction, but still an SUV will never be a sedan or a sports car. The Macan is barley an SUV - which helps to explain why its so phenomenal to drive. I always though it was a mini Cayenne before I drove one. Man was I wrong. I'm hoping for Porsche's sake the new Cayenne is an ovesized Macan! LOL

We'll see. I'm attending the launch party this week. I'll be curious to hear from people who drive the new car.

Regards,
DRP

Old 02-15-2019, 12:41 PM
So my source shall remain anonymous but she/he is a Porsche salesperson who also has a racing background and they said:

The brand new Cayenne is luxury SUV that handles very very well but can't compete with the handling of the Macan purely due to the shorter wheelbase - even when equipped with rear steering.

So the short answer to my question is apparently - No.

DRP

Old 08-22-2019, 07:02 AM
Ray_S is on a distinguished road
I had the chance to compare the new Cayenne Coupe w/ steel springs vs my Macan w/ Air Suspension. Had the Cayenne for 5 days. also - I owned a Cayenne 958 for more than 2 yrs before.

The Cayenne by far does not handle as direct and compact as does the Macan. It may be different w/ PTV and other helping aids, but I don't think it will be able to compete.

For me it was a good decision to swap, and I can confirm the Macan feels more like Porsche indeed. If you don't need the space - for me it's the better choice..

And - I still prefer Air Suspension as it's easy to lower by 1 to 1.5 inches w/o any loss in comfort, which gives the car an even better handling.

Last edited by Ray_S; 08-22-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:51 PM
The M is on a distinguished road
For me, the transmission in the Cayenne was so sloppy and delayed that I just had to say no. Macan's PDK is so much more playful. The extra sharp connectedness of the suspension is just icing on the cake for me.

Old 12-29-2019, 04:04 PM
toyotabike is on a distinguished road
Drove both in GTS. Nope. MACAN is way sportier.