Maserati Quattroporte, GranTurismo, Gran Sport, Coupe, MC12

Considering a GT-MC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 PM
sc170 has a spectacular aura aboutsc170 has a spectacular aura about
Considering a GT-MC

Looking at trading in the Turbo for an MC.... Any thoughts?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:32 PM
st4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to all
Go for it, those are awesome cars. The interior of them are quite nice compared to Porsche's and you can't beat their sound either. The only thing is you won't be rowing through gears like you do in the TT, but paddle shifters can be pretty fun - double tap downshifts to pass on highways is fun stuff

Old 09-13-2012, 01:50 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Similar situation here, but moving from a 911 GTS.

I've done some reading through the Maser threads to get some insights on the GT, but thought I'd step up my 'research' with a direct question of your experiences and thoughts on the new GT-Sport.

Basically: my current DD is a Porsche Carrera GTS...great car, sporty as hell, tons of fun to drive...and more freakin road noise that anything else. As much as I love it, I'm simply getting worn out having to listen to the tires and road noise over everything else when I'm driving.

The other problem is: I'm not entirely interested in the 991. Driven it...it's nice...a lot less road noise so I can hear more of what I want to (exhaust, engine, etc)...but for some reason not exactly grabbing my desires.

So I looked around at different cars. RS5 is nice...but I'm not in love with it. Same with R8 (and I want/need something a little more practical). Astons...not for me. Not interested in the M5/6 and MB doesn't have anything that really makes me 'want'. The XK-RS just looks like a hopped-up version of an old car to me (sorry Jaguar guys). Ferraris are out of my league...

But then I'm over at the Maserati/Bentley/McLaren dealer with a friend and it hits me: the GT-S might be it. Fantastic interior. Ferrari engine and better yet, Ferrari SOUND. Great balance of daily comfort with a sporty edge to it. Oh...did I mention the SOUND??? I also loved the fact that I can HEAR the engine and exhaust, but NOT the road.

And it drives surprisingly small for the size of the car. Relatively nimble...FAST...I can hold the gear where I want in Manual mode. And there's room for my family. Right now, my car never has more than 2 people in it because my wife HATES it.

Biggest downside to me is the older tech in the car. The head unit (nav, phone, stereo) does leave a lot to be desired.

I'm trying to talk myself down from it, but I really do like it more than I thought I would. I was planning on driving it and not being too impressed, but I was wrong.

So tell me what you think about the GT-S? Good, Bad and Ugly. Going from a 911 to this would be a big change, but I seem to feel nothing but upside.

I'm looking at one of the 2013s...so it's got all the latest Maserati updates. Sort of considering a MC, but from what I can tell, the Sport is basically the MC but with slightly less HP and some various external styling differences.

Pricing? What should/might I expect? Sticker is $138K...what discounting is reasonable?

Also, any ideas when the replacement might be coming? That might have an impact in negotiations.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 PM
tstires is on a distinguished road
Traded a 2012 991S in a 2013 GT Sport. The 2013 Sports actually have more HP than the MC's and have the revised front fascia and MC shift program. It is a bigger car than the 991 but doesn't feel that much bigger. The only time I notice the size/weight is during high speed cornering. 991 electronics are superior to Maserati's but I prefer Maseatis interior and especially the smooth power delivery of the ZF transmission and Ferrari V8 engine (the sound is incredible!) Overall between the two I prefer the GT hands down. The exclusivity of the Maserati is also a plus. The 2013 Sports also have the sports seats standard which are great looking and comfortable. Feel free to ask any specifics...best of luck in your decision!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
Look for a used one, if available / possible. Maseratis initial depreciation hit is ginormous. You will take a $40K loss. I guarantee it. Your trade-in value in 1 year will probably be $99-$100K (maybe even less after a whole year... $85k~)

Old 09-17-2012, 01:06 PM
CPB
CPB will become famous soon enough
Good thread. I've been interested in the MC and now the new Sport. Great exhaust note.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:20 AM
sc170 has a spectacular aura aboutsc170 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Fantasma
Look for a used one, if available / possible. Maseratis initial depreciation hit is ginormous. You will take a $40K loss. I guarantee it. Your trade-in value in 1 year will probably be $99-$100K (maybe even less after a whole year... $85k~)
Do you know why they take such a hit?

Anybody do their homework on pricing a new 12' MC? There seems to be a lot of 2012 inventory out there. I am sure there are lots of great deals to be had. Perhaps that will lessen the blow in the event you try to sell / trade it in a year.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
I'm also on the same boat coming from 2013 991 Carrera S. considering either GT MC or AM Vantage S. SC170/dallascujun have you guys pulled the trigger? if so how do you like the GT?

Old 02-27-2013, 03:46 PM
itsfred is on a distinguished road
I went from 997 C2 Cab to GT-S. I wanted a 12-month driver and I just felt too claustrophobic in the Carrera with the top up. I also wanted something a little less rough on the horrible paving in the Northeast. Like some others who have posted here, I just stopped by the Maserati dealer out of curiosity, but after one drive it was "gotta have it."

As previously pointed out in this thread the 2013 GT-S has the same style front end as the MC and the same fast-shift program (with nice blips and overrun on downshifts like a Porsche PDK), so all you're really buying in the MC is a revised rear fascia and a more open exhaust. Just give the standard exhaust a good listen before plunking down an extra 20K for the MC.

I also think the stated difference in horsepower is fallacious, if you look at the actual window sticker of a 2013 GT-S or an MC I think they both say 455 horsepower.

One other difference - The GT's skyhook adjustable suspension is optional on the MC and most MC's at the dealers have fixed-rate, slightly harsher shocks. Also, you can always find a GT-S without the extensive carbon fiber trim packages, which can add another 20K to the price, but most of the MC's come loaded.

On the subject of price I recommend that you shop hard, it seems to me you can often find new cars at 20,000 or more off the sticker. So the depreciation is a little less painful.

Be prepared to have the paparazzi chasing you. Seriously this car makes you feel like a rock star and brings people to their knees.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:01 PM
GCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond repute
Id keep the turbo. The mc is a very big boat like car. Sounds great but you already have a 360cs which when faced with that or the maser youll always drive the CS.
And yes resale is horrible. I got spanked when I sold my gts 2 months ago since a local dealer is selling brand new ones for 25k off.

Last edited by GCBC; 02-27-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:46 AM
rjhoskins has a spectacular aura aboutrjhoskins has a spectacular aura about
[QUOTE]I also think the stated difference in horsepower is fallacious, if you look at the actual window sticker of a 2013 GT-S or an MC I think they both say 455 horsepower. /QUOTE]

454 hp actually
But yes, you are correct, both '13 GT-S and MC have the exact same HP regardless of what the Maserati web states.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 AM
smokinxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutsmokinxtreme has a spectacular aura about
two different cars......i own both a 996tt and a maserati gt mc and must say the gt mc is pure luxury over the 996tt

Old 04-19-2013, 09:39 AM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Ruh roh.. I shouldn't have run across this thread.

Thanks for the insights folks.

This thread, plus recently hearing a new GT-S pulling through a stoplight = Maserati (vs P-Car) FTW