McLaren MP4-12C, SLR, F1, P1, P13

My McLaren vs Everything - Half Mile Shootout in 360 Degrees

Old 10-06-2015, 10:23 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
My McLaren vs Everything - Half Mile Shootout in 360 Degrees

Vivid Racing participated in this past weekends Omega Motorsports Half Mile Race at the Gila Bend air strip in super amazing Gila Bend, Arizona This type of event is new to us. Years ago it was all about road racing. Then we did a couple of the Texas Mile races in our 997 Turbo. Within the last couple years, these half mile events have become all the rage. I guess it makes sense as it shows your cars real potential compared to a quarter mile, safer (maybe) than running a full mile, and well, who does not want to go 150mph plus! Enjoy the videos, check out the full gallery here, and keep it locked on our Instagram Page Here. Thanks to Omega Motorsports for the event and the VR Team for going out there!

So Vivid Racing and Agency Power sponsored the event and headed out Saturday for the event in our new pimp bus. As a sponsor we brought out our whole kit and kaboodle. In addition we had our McLaren 12C on hand to run, get some cool video, and be a piece of eye candy. Amongst the cars participating were a new Lamborghini Huracan, Mercedes SLS, a slew of Corvettes, a herd of GT-Rs, a Viper here and there, and a couple of Porsche's. One of the Porsche's was our very own Project 991 Turbo in the hands of its new owners. Equipped with some brand new Agency Power straight pipes and a fresh dyno session with VR Tuned and AP parts, we were ready to see what these cars could do.

The format of the event was really just to have fun, which I thoroughly liked. No trophies, no dick swinging, just enthusiasts out to run their cars. You line up in 2 lines and go against whoever or you can arrange your runs. The Gila Bend airstrip is about 1 full mile. When you come to the start, you stare down at a length of pavement that has a mirage effect. Lining up, you and the other car do a roll between 40 and 60mph to the first set of cones a hundred or so feet away. When you hit those cones, you punch it and it is a half mile of throttle and gears till you reach the other cones that traps your speeds. With only a helmet on, the what ifs can race through your head. I mean this is not 0-60mph or maybe trapping the 1/4 mile in at 120mph, this is pure speed where some cars are hitting up to 180mph in just a half mile!

The first run of our McLaren was against a black Corvette Z06. The McLaren is all stock except a turboback, catless ArmyTrix exhaust and a new VR Tuned ECU flash putting it at about 700bhp. The Corvette already having 7.0L of pure American Muscle is intimidating. Rolling to the cones we both punched it. The Vette got the initial lead, but the 3.8L twin turbo McLaren pulled it midrange and barely beat it at the end. I think this first run was about 151mph.

After a short break, I landed a race with the 991 Turbo. Equipped well and at about 650bhp and also a 3.8L twin turbo, I thought this would be a equal race if any. We both started from a roll at about 40mph and punched it. The 991 Turbo is fast as ****! His top speed for the day was 159mph which is strong. The car sounded insane with the straight pipes as it roared down the runway. On a positive note, this was my old car so cant complain .

Next race I ran involved a blonde chick and 155mph against a ACR Viper. The ACR Viper was the Gen 5 premium Viper with its 8.4L V10 making 600bhp and 560ft/lbs of torque. This would be a good match up. Like the other big displacement cars, this thing got the jump. But we fought and rocketed ahead. I think the McLaren's high rev range and top end is what helps it pull away each time.

We lined up again and this time was against a Ford Mustang Boss 302 with mods. This car produces stock 444bhp and I am sure this was modded to atleast 500bhp. Looking back at the video, not sure if this guy missed a shift, but he had some torque at first but we left him rather quickly.

The final run was a little bit of shop rivalry with EVOMS. We scheduled a battle of the McLaren's and lined up for the race. Already knowing we would lose as their car had upgraded turbos and running race gas, we went at it for good fun. After the run, threw them the thumbs up and got to see what the difference of turbo upgrades would do. I believe their speed was a 169mph compared to our 155mph ish.

@CabanoPhotography Photo Credit^

Watch the full days video compliation here -

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.