Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Misha Design Widebody Kit Build Thread SEMA 2010 Completion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Name Brand is on a distinguished road
Nice project. I'm glad you didn't give up on it. Keep us updated.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:46 PM
aaa335 is on a distinguished road
looks good, cant wait to see the finished product

Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Green Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Name Brand
Nice project. I'm glad you didn't give up on it. Keep us updated.
Thanks man. I was very close to giving up.

Originally Posted by aaa335
looks good, cant wait to see the finished product
I can't wait to see the finished product for myself

Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Green Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to behold
Thanks to Pirelli for supplying the massive steam rollers that just came in today.

Pirelli P Zero Nero

Front
275/30/20

Rear
375/20/21

That is not a typo 375 rear width. They are insanely WIDE!!! I thought my tires were wide back in 2005 when we fitted 355/25/19 on my blue Porsche widebody but these tires take it to the next level.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 PM
V8HAHA is on a distinguished road
WOW.. I love threads like this! Keep up the good work Vince

Old 10-06-2010, 11:02 PM
GENTANI will become famous soon enough
I've heard good things about DTM, I can see they do big projects. How welcome are they in doing little ones i.e. side mirror/fog light covers painted or would I be "wasting" there time.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Stealthed is on a distinguished road
HOLY ****!

375's ?

i was happy with my 275's on my car....

I gotta admit tho, the Mischa badge reminds me of dodge vipers badge.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by GENTANI
I've heard good things about DTM, I can see they do big projects. How welcome are they in doing little ones i.e. side mirror/fog light covers painted or would I be "wasting" there time.
No you won't be wasting their time. They can do anything big or small. Give them a call. I have taken a few projects cars to them already. I love their work. From my experience good body shops are a dime a dozen and very hard to find. Once you find a good one hold on tight.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Some more pictures from Lightwurkz of the headlight housings taken apart. In total there will be 16 leds in each headlight forming small rings of light around the highbeam and lowbeam, similar to the factory headlights on my Range Rover Fullsized.

Each led hole is drilled into the housing and then carefully installed by hand. Lightwurkz is using the smaller 3mm LEDs as the normal 5mm do not fit into the tight spaces of the SL Housing.

The pieces need one more color sand and buff and then another few coats of paint. After the parts are dry the headlight will be reassembled. I should have them back next Tuesday. I can't wait to see them in action.

Example of the leds on my Range Rover headlights

Old 10-10-2010, 05:59 AM
With 3 weeks before the main event SEMA in Las Vegas the SL Widebody Project build is in full force. The custom headlights took one day longer to complete and will arrive back at DTM Autobody on Tuesday. The team over at Lightwurkz in San Francisco did an absolutely amazing job with the headlights and I am so happy we could fit this important piece of the puzzle to the build. The body work is coming along as scheduled.

The rear quarter panels on both drivers and passengers side have been cut and the widebody rear fenders have been attached. The underneath wheel wells have been formed and welded. The molding of the rear trunk lid and resurfacing of the trunk shape have begun and will be finished in the upcoming week. When completed the trunk will look like one uniform piece with a raised whale tail hanging off the original OEM Mercedes SL trunk lid.

As soon as the headlights return to DTM Autobody, They will start fitting the front end and start the final adjustments to the body. A few days of body shaping will allow the SL to be ready for primer and paint. DTM Autobody is on schedule to finish 1 week ahead of the show so we can drop off the car at Hyevon Motors for engine upgrades and installation of the DCT Motor Sports Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel and Interior Kit.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:59 AM
More Pics

Old 10-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks to Anatoliy and his wonderful team at Light Wurkz for all the hard work and effort they put in for the last 5 days to get my custom headlights ready for the SL. The headlights on now on there way back down to DTM Autobody overnight and we will get them in the morning. Here are some pics we received from Anatoliy before the lights were packed for shipping.

Last edited by Green Turbo; 10-11-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:42 AM
INFINITE is just really niceINFINITE is just really niceINFINITE is just really niceINFINITE is just really nice
I can't wait to see the finished project at SEMA!!! IFORGED Booth is going to be rocking as usual!!!! The car is coming along rather quickly and the color is just going to be insane.. What are your plans for the brakes ?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by INFINITE
I can't wait to see the finished project at SEMA!!! IFORGED Booth is going to be rocking as usual!!!! The car is coming along rather quickly and the color is just going to be insane.. What are your plans for the brakes ?
stock calipers since they are already 8 piston and 4 piston rear. Go with new rotors and new brake pads as well as paint the calipers yellow.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:38 PM
UPDATES!!!

Last minute I thought of doing some custom interior before SEMA. I am going to do the front and rear with suede and diamond stitching in it. Top Stitch in El Monte is doing the work. I was checking out their website and their quality and attention to detail is amazing. It also helps they are only a couple of miles away from the body shop. They sent a few guys over there to start removing the interior pieces and get it ready for customizing.

Check out their work Call for custom auto upholstery in los angeles Now! 1-626-542-3608

DTM Autobody has finished the molding of the rear flares and the custom trunk. I wanted something like the Porsche Speedster. The custom Lightwurkz blacked out headlights look amazing with the newer factory Mercedes SL grill.

The front end is coming together nicely. Only a few more minor adjustments and smoothing of the front panels and the car will be ready for primer. They hope to get the car ready for paint by early next week.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Misha Design Widebody Kit Build Thread SEMA 2010 Completion