Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

1st & 2nd Generation Mercedes Sport Leicht SLs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:33 AM
997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light
1st & 2nd Generation Mercedes Sport Leicht SLs

One of the cars I'd love to add someday is a 1st or 2nd generation SL. Not a museum or trailer queen but a driver in great shape. Maybe in the next 3-5 years I'll get serious and look to purchase. In the meantime, my lust for these is beginning to grow. It started with seeing a 1st gen trailer queen at a show 2 years back a '60 I think and a 2nd gen '71 driver at a car show this fall.

Anyone have experience with these cars that is willing to share some insight on ownership, parts availability idosyncrocies etc?

Last edited by 997 rolls; 11-15-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:09 AM
roadtalontsi is infamous around these partsroadtalontsi is infamous around these parts
no personal experience, but the good thing is you can get factory replacement parts for pretty much any mercedes if you've got the money. They'll even custom hand build the part new, whether it be a simple part or making a new casting. They even have a special shop you can send a total p.o.s. to for a full factory off restoration no matter the age.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 AM
997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
no personal experience, but the good thing is you can get factory replacement parts for pretty much any mercedes if you've got the money. They'll even custom hand build the part new, whether it be a simple part or making a new casting. They even have a special shop you can send a total p.o.s. to for a full factory off restoration no matter the age.
Being able to get parts is a big deal, I remember hearing something about this before.