Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Test Drove an E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:17 AM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
Test Drove an E63 and I bought one...

I am trying to decide on a new car and was looking for a CLS63 but found a 08 E63 that is so nice it looks like a new car. My Wife got into it and Said " I thought you were buying a used one"

MY 1st time in an AMG I drive a CLS550 a few months ago and although a nice car, it wasn't "enough" for me.

I am in LOVE with the car, but need to drive an M5 for my own sanity before I decide.

Cars in the Running

XFR
M5
E 63

Last edited by wpgfordguy; 05-19-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:29 AM
BB Supra will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by wpgfordguy
I am trying to decide on a new car and was looking for a CLS63 but found a 08 E63 that is so nice it looks like a new car. My Wife got into it and Said " I thought you were buying a used one"

MY 1st time in an AMG I drive a CLS550 a few months ago and although a nice car, it wasn't "enough" for me.

I am in LOVE with the car, but need to drive an M5 for my own sanity before I decide.

Cars in the Running

XFR
M5
E 63
You might like the mod potential of the E55 a little better.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:14 AM
gonzales25 is on a distinguished road
I had an 07 E63 and it was an excellent car, just not mod friendly if your into that $$$. M5 just didnt compare when I was looking at them both.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:38 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
I traded in my 07 E63 on a 10 E63; they are worlds apart. The 2010 was a complete design change and wow did MB hit the mark. Not that the W211 ( previous body style NA motor) was bad. MB had notoriously leaned more towards luxury over perrformance. That ended with the development of the C63 and has continued on with the E. The new E is so much more of what the M5 had always been. The M is a great performer, no question. It simply came down to aesthetics (obviously not a fan of where M has gone).

The E55 (W210) with the supercharged 5.5, I agree, is a beast and largely more tunable, if that's your thing. But, I honestly wouldn't bother with an AMG E unless you can get the 2010 or 11, simply because the chassis is so different when it comes to performance which sounds like what your looking for.

The CLS is essentially the same in every manner except arguably a better performer simply because the lower center of gravity; and it is a bit sexier IMO. Don't discount a CLS63 ( you do realize a CLS550 is NOT an AMG; may have just had an AMG wheel/ fascia package).

I have no experience with an XFR but I would definitely consider one.

If you like the looks of an M5 and could fine a manual, I'd consider that sweet v-10.

For me: 2010-11 E63 = XFR >> M5 >> CLS63 >> 2007-09 E63 >> E55

Last edited by KK Moto; 03-31-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:51 AM
alanm3sf is on a distinguished road
i recently went through similar comparison, ended up with 07 CLS63. to keep the long story short, the styling of CLS is just second to none, especially when you put it side by side with the M5. i see too many M5s on the street, but CLSs are rather rare. i started my biased car search towards BMW since i previously owned an e46 M3, but the power of the AMG motor, the comfort, and the styling of the CLS just convinced me otherwise.

i agree the the 63 engine is not mod friendly, there's only a small amount of tuning parts, so CLS55 or E55 are much better cars for you if you are into modding.

lastly, i do miss my M3 alot as mercedes are just so damn luxorious and comfortable that you can hardly feel the road. the driving experience is so different from the BMW. i am hoping to find an E46 M3 for my daily driver so that i can have the best of both worlds.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:30 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
I think the XFR would be a great choice, supercharged with plenty of punch and understated good looks. Also its just as fast as the M5, and has gotten quite a few rave reviews.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
CLS63 clearly the best looking sedan on the road (look at all the imitators). The E63 is basiclly the same car in a more traditional design and less money of course. The supercharged 55 series do offer more mod potential if that's your thing. The M5 has seemed to have lost it way. It was for the longest time the ubersedan. Stay away from the SMG tranny years. XFR, I don't think have the build quality.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 04-01-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:21 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
The XFR does feel special the way it puts down the power, its interior is quite frankly nicer in many ways than the E63. And its a genuinely quick car and a match for the E63 in every way performance wise. Jaguar really nailed the ride/ handling balance on this car.

I prefer the thrust of cars like the CTS-V , XFR and previous gen E55 especially in a big heavy car. The E63 is fast as is the M5, but the instant response is very satisfying. The feeling of being flung down the road rather than the feeling of waiting a bit for the engine to get in the powerband.

I have been debating a fast sedan since my friend got an E55, and modified right they and the CLS55 can be downright beastly.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:59 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone know when the new E63 with TT V8 will be released? I may be in the market but wanted to wait until the release of the new engine.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:20 PM
ogs
ogs is on a distinguished road
from what I hear the v8 bi-turbos will be coming on on the S and CLS this year. But haven't heard when the E will have it.

I personally have a w211 E55 as a daily and I have to admit, I love it! Tried the e63 ( not the current w212 ) and it was nice but the tq out of the 55 was hands down the deal closer. And fig with headers/pulley/ECU upgrades..its a whole different car.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Surfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by germeezy1
The XFR does feel special the way it puts down the power, its interior is quite frankly nicer in many ways than the E63. And its a genuinely quick car and a match for the E63 in every way performance wise. Jaguar really nailed the ride/ handling balance on this car.

I prefer the thrust of cars like the CTS-V , XFR and previous gen E55 especially in a big heavy car. The E63 is fast as is the M5, but the instant response is very satisfying. The feeling of being flung down the road rather than the feeling of waiting a bit for the engine to get in the powerband.

I have been debating a fast sedan since my friend got an E55, and modified right they and the CLS55 can be downright beastly.
I'm a big fan of the new Jags, all of them are extremely nice. About a month and half ago at an event we were at, they were giving test drives of the new XJ, drove both the regular XJ and supercharged model. Think it's the best car in it's class, I mean it has great road presence and a sick interior... drive an S-class or 7 series and they feel like lumbering barges compared to the XJ with how light and sharp it drives.

XFR is real nice too.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:29 PM
mastermixer is on a distinguished road
I would choose the E over the M5, just because I don't like the look of the M5. The new 5 series is great though

Old 04-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Meeyatch1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by wpgfordguy

Cars in the Running

XFR
M5
E 63
The W211 E63 like the one you drove is a wonderful car. When I was looking for a nice and fun family car I drove the E55 and the E63 and was blown away by the E63. The naturally aspirated motor is so strong, and makes such amazing sounds, that there was no question for me. Plus, I like the revised front treatment, and the aluminum paddle shifters, of the E63. Sure, you can modify an E55 to make a ton of power, but lets be serious. The E63 has 507 hp. I mean, unless you are living at the drag strip, the E63 running from 0 - 60 mph in just a hair over 4 seconds is damn fast!

The M5 is a fair comparison, as I had looked into those also since I previously had (2) M3s, but the E63 was just SOOO much nicer, and I fell in love with that engine sound. Amazing. No question.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:09 AM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
well now I am all over the place.

The 1st mistake was taking my car out and driving it for a few days,

Didn't like the M5, XFR is too much like my dad's XJL S/C
Drove a 997 TT and was disappointed other than the power.
Went to buy an S6 I saw, it was sold.
Went and looked at the E63 again and was underwhelmed by the styling now that the "driving rush" has worn off.
Found a 07 QPorte, ugly color but a great price, but a really hard car to pull off in our smaller town.

So I guess I am doing nothing for now...

My Expedition is getting a little long in the tooth and am thinking an F150 Raptor Crew 6.2 for boat runs to the lake and to drive in our long cold winters.

I dunno. I am rather frustrated

Old 04-09-2011, 10:31 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
if you don't need 4 doors, i would also consider the bentley continental gt. they go for $70k for a 2004-2005 model.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Drove an E63