Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

09 SL63 On The Way

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 06:53 PM
gjnockie is on a distinguished road
09 SL63 On The Way

Just purchased an 09 SL63 AMG with only 3,600 miles on it sight unseen.

Tried my best to do my homework but I decided to move forward because the car is a CPO Certified car. All of the service records were good and the only thing that was replaced on the car was one of the batteries. Still I don't think anyone likes to buy a car that they haven't been able to see and inspect first.

Anyway I should have the car delivered to me in about 1 week. It's a fair distance away.

Any pointers or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:22 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Thumbs up if there is any issues...Hopefully not

Congrat's on a great car! I also am toying with the idea.

I bought my M5 sight unseen, and there was some issues with scratched wheels and scraped undercarriage. I contacted the seller and email him the cost to repair such items and he and I negotiated a fair settlement. It was less than I wanted but in reality I was buying a used car.

Have it checked out by your local Mercedes dealer and have them read any codes. I think it's called a PPI inspection, and one from you upon arrival so he can't say it happened at your dealer...

And, make sure you have all the telephone numbers to the seller or his job or practice and a few nicely worded letters should do it.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Radguy is on a distinguished road
gjnockie,

You are going to love that car!

I also bought my wife's '09 SL63 last fall sight unseen but it had 19K miles on it (Designo Expresso Edition). We have thoroughly enjoyed that car. Unfortunately, being in Canada, we can only drive it 6-7 months of the year.

First thing you do after taking delivery:

Top down; transmission in manual mode; find a longggg tunnel; downshift to third; stand on the loud pedal; paddle through the gears and enjoy a truly amazing auditory experience!

The only thing I did with ours was to update the Nav system by purchasing the most recent Nav DVDs from M-B and loading them into the car.

Jonathan

Old 08-03-2013, 05:35 AM
Thanks Guy's for your replies!

Hopefully I won't run into many issues. I did buy the car from a Mercedes dealer and tried to trace all of the car's history before the purchase. It was a one owner who has 8 cars and obviously didn't drive that one very much.

Didn't know that I could update the Nav.. thanks for that tip. Do I have to take it to the dealer for that or can I do it?

I did read some stuff about engine issues for that AMG engine that did concern me. The car is certified and I got the dealer to through in the extended 2 year Mercedes certified warranty.

Car is Black on Black with P1, Parktronic and Distronic. Dealer did Service B and seems to have gone through the car pretty completely.

I have owned a lot of sports cars, some faster, some slower. I wanted to try out this car because from what I have read it does most things pretty well and it's a hardtop convertible which is the one feature I like the best. I don't want to deal with a cloth top convertible.

Should have it by next weekend and will post a couple of pictures upon arrival.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:56 AM
OKB
OKB will become famous soon enough
dont know if its certain engines, maybe able to get more facts and determine if it covers your car.

http://www.benzboost.com/content.php...engine-defects

Old 08-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Radguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Nav update

I bought the DVDs from my local Mercedes dealer (2 of them), and all you do is insert it as you would a CD and follow the instructions.

A word of warning-- it takes almost an hour for both DVDs to load--car has to idle the whole time--so unless you live in a safe area, you have to plan on sitting in the car the whole time. Make sure there's enough gas in the car and bring a book/Kindle.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Radguy
Re: Nav update

I bought the DVDs from my local Mercedes dealer (2 of them), and all you do is insert it as you would a CD and follow the instructions.

A word of warning-- it takes almost an hour for both DVDs to load--car has to idle the whole time--so unless you live in a safe area, you have to plan on sitting in the car the whole time. Make sure there's enough gas in the car and bring a book/Kindle.
Instead of idling the car for an hour couldn't you hook the car up to a battery tender and leave it in your garage to update with just the ignition on?

Old 08-07-2013, 12:35 PM
OKB
OKB will become famous soon enough
you can just let it sit and load, then after a 1/2 hr or hour it will shut down, then just go check it and start the car and let it idle a few min and then turn it off again. it will load but you can just crank it a couple times
get the latest 2013 disc , check ebay, you can sell them after you install them.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:51 AM
Bimmeristic has a spectacular aura aboutBimmeristic has a spectacular aura about
Whatever you do it should involve using your home (mansion???) garage for an hour or so. While the software is loading maybe indulge in one of your media rooms and become one with a remote control or as many as you want to. I wish that I had that problem!!!!

Old 09-12-2013, 08:03 PM
SoCal - e34 is on a distinguished road
Amazing car.....hope it shows up in the shape you're expecting. Having a 2yr warranty on a CPO car should help ease any major fears, at least for a while. Post pics when you get it!