Clear bra paint protection recommendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:53 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Rob did 3 cars for me....each turned out perfect. If my latest one did not have clear bra already on it from the dealer, I would have had him do it also.

Moral of the story...do your research yes, see the work someone does upclose...Scott you have seen my GT2 up close, don't know if you saw my Turbo X50 prior, or the clear bra on my SL55 AMG. Each of those were done by Rob.

I would use Raja as well...have talked to him about doing a car for me. Still plan o0n doing so just have not found the time to get it done. This is one that there is no kit available for on the market from what I understand from discussions with Rob.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Vapiano is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by IMA Motorsport
IMO nobody comes close in clearbra to Auto Armour Films & Finishes.Cliff is the man! He is used by the most **** retentive individuals in the area.

Give him a try you will not be disappointed
+100,000 - Picked my car up last Saturday, full clear bra, mirrors, A-pillars, shark fins and side skirts.

Cliff has some serious talent when it comes to doing a clear bra and polishing as well. Even when you know its there you still can't see it. Highly recommended.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:22 PM
GTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Vapiano
+100,000 - Picked my car up last Saturday, full clear bra, mirrors, A-pillars, shark fins and side skirts.

Cliff has some serious talent when it comes to doing a clear bra and polishing as well. Even when you know its there you still can't see it. Highly recommended.
+100,001.... when I first met Cliff he had a Cayenne he was working on and I walked over to the car and asked him if he did the front because I couldn't see or feel any lines/edges, it was already done. That's a true clear bra!

Old 01-18-2012, 05:56 AM
ptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Scott in SS MD
I went with Cutting Edge from the other thread referal as they were able to do the tint, lights tinted and clear bra. Unfortunately, my expectations superceded their capabilities on the clear bra. I was sold on a computerized lazer cut technology custom tailored to my car. I thought that was top of the line since it was mentioned a few times. Little did I know that their process is in no way atrue 100% frontal coverage, but simply a very basic overlay that exposes more than 60% of the most vulnerable areas prone to chipping. The laser fitament is crap and the seams......well, there just is no uniform alignment. Period. The inners of both upper and lower grilles, fog light bezels, hood lip, etc. are all still completely exposed. To do these they would have to add pieces, thus charging additional.

Moral of this story. Research whether you want to pay for a custom 100% wrap or just an overlay. Based on the price points, I probably should have known. My learning curve is now your advantage.

I will be contacting Shy or Raj in the next day or two to see if any of my install is salvageable, but I expect not.
You can still go with a precut kit but the key is to check and find out who the kit designer is. There are numerous companies out there making kit patterns and just like the film... some are better than others. 3M makes kits and practically gives the patterns away if you use thir film. So the quality is not that good. Companies like Pro-Form Design and Xpel make exceptional kits designed to have wrapped edges, minimal seams, and maximum amount of coverage... but do cost the installer a pretty good bit for each pattern cut. The advantage to a precut kit is it eliminates the need for cutting on the car. I am sure some of the guys mentioned in this thread are good enough not to damage the paint but in the industry I would say 80% of the people hand cutting are not properly trained to do so and end up damaging the paint... and the customer does not know until the film is removed. Getting recomendations like the ones listed above really help filter out who the good installers really are.

I installed a kit for a guy the other day in Fort Worth who had one of the very first clear bras installed. It was applied 17 years ago on a white Volvo. I was amazed that there was no yellowing at all (since it was 3M film and that old) but what was interesting was even though it was all hand cut, the edges were about half an inch from the edges of the panels leaving a lot of exposed areas. In those gaps there were some chips that had gone through the paint and were now rusting. It was amazing to see one of the first jobs out there... and to see how far the materials and designs have come in 17 years.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:30 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Rob (Pro-form) has all the designs for the pre-cut kits...they are exceptional. Coverage and contour are two elements that really make the kits spot on to the curves of the vehicle. Cutting on the car can lead to damage of the painted surface, this is just common sense...there is more risk involved...slight pressure, obscure angle, slip of the hand and you have to get a respray. Rob's kits and installation are impecable, and he is a true proffesional at what he does and has been doing it longer than anyone else. I would not have taken 3 cars to him over the past 12 months had that not been the case. In the situation of there not being a kit available and free hand cutting on the car is needed, I have heard Raja does an excellent job, I plan to use him also in the case of one of my cars for which Rob does not have a kit.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:27 PM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
I resemble that remark...

Originally Posted by IMA Motorsport
IMO nobody comes close in clearbra to Auto Armour Films & Finishes.Cliff is the man! He is used by the most **** retentive individuals in the area.

Give him a try you will not be disappointed
+1 for Cliff at Auto Armour....people are continually amazed to learn that the full front clip of my then 2011 GT3 and now 2012 TT have had Cliff's treatment - meaning the highest compliment paid to a clear bra installer in that it is virtually invisible.....Ivan is right on with this recommendation and I'm happy to second it!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:34 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tssci
+1 for Cliff at Auto Armour....people are continually amazed to learn that the full front clip of my then 2011 GT3 and now 2012 TT have had Cliff's treatment - meaning the highest compliment paid to a clear bra installer in that it is virtually invisible.....Ivan is right on with this recommendation and I'm happy to second it!
That you, Steve?? Got the 2012! Nice. Did you go PDK or 6spd?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by sunir
Rob (Pro-form) has all the designs for the pre-cut kits...they are exceptional. Coverage and contour are two elements that really make the kits spot on to the curves of the vehicle. Cutting on the car can lead to damage of the painted surface, this is just common sense...there is more risk involved...slight pressure, obscure angle, slip of the hand and you have to get a respray. Rob's kits and installation are impecable, and he is a true proffesional at what he does and has been doing it longer than anyone else. I would not have taken 3 cars to him over the past 12 months had that not been the case. In the situation of there not being a kit available and free hand cutting on the car is needed, I have heard Raja does an excellent job, I plan to use him also in the case of one of my cars for which Rob does not have a kit.
Rob definitely does great work. I'd stick with him Sunir.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 PM
GTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to behold
Not to argue but I've never seen a pre cut kit that was good work and you damn right how **** I am.... Anyone who knows me sees how detailed I am and knows that no matter how much you cup and/or stroke my ***** I don't use you unless you supply quality work.... Hands down.... Hand cut clear is by far superior if you know what your doing bc ultimately you're not cutting the car so no damage done.....

Old 01-19-2012, 10:59 PM
I am very happy with the work Rob has done for me which is why I posted what I have here. There is no other reason. He has been doing this longer than anyone that is a fact. You have seen my car the application is perfect. That is what it comes down to at the end of the day, I am not saying this because of favoritism, I am thoroughly happy with rob's work...and each car he does withe same level of proffesionalism, quality, and careful atttention to detail no matter what you bring him, be it a vayron (which he has done) to a Kia (which he has also done).

Old 01-19-2012, 11:04 PM
I never asked for any reason.... Hmmmm..... Yes I have seen your car and application, hence why I didn't comment to start an argument.... I'm done here.... Quick response though.

Sorry had to edit.... Have you seen all his work? Just want to clarify your comment about favoritism and each car he does work on.

Last edited by GTLaser; 01-19-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Yeah up late tonight... Saw u post and wanted to reply... No worries ... No reason needed the evidence is in the work and quality of the product over time. You have your beliefs and I have mine, we can agree to disagree on this one.

Edit: I have seen enough of his work to make the judgement and comments I have. He has done 3 cars for me in 2011. It is implausible to think that we have seen every example of work from the guys that do clearbra, that is not within reason, what I will say is that I have seen a lot of cars rob has done and I have yet to see one where the quality, workmanship, and detail are not impeccable and fall anywhere short of excellent...I will say this much.

Last edited by sunir; 01-19-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:07 AM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by vr4henry
That you, Steve?? Got the 2012! Nice. Did you go PDK or 6spd?
That's me, and I'm SO happy to be back to a Turbo...the GT3 certainly has a place in the 997 line up, but in the end, just not my choice. And as my license plate indicates, certainly NOT a PDK. That transmission would be must fine for my Ford Fusion thank you very much. I drove the PDK in three different 997.2 cars and have no idea why anyone would choose it. An 'automatic' in my Fusion - or even in my previous AMG car works just fine, but I truly hated it in the Porsches I drove. Aside from being jerky jerky (as one other poster mentioned in another thread), I would find the car - yes, even a Turbo - to be boring after about 15 minutes of drive time. If the argument for it is the often quoted 0-60 time/launching/1/4 mile time arguments, that is an argument I don't understand in a 911. If that was what I wanted in a car, I'd buy a 1000 horsepower resto-modded 1969 Camaro. Aren't you glad you asked ?

Old 01-20-2012, 06:09 AM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
I have yet to see a non- wrapped hand cut kit that is of higher quality than a pre- cut kit. A complete custom kit with wrapped edges is a different story however.

On a side note, has anyone used Skip from PFT Films?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Bonefish has a spectacular aura aboutBonefish has a spectacular aura aboutBonefish has a spectacular aura about
Agreed!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear bra paint protection recommendation