Powder Coating in NoVA for 3 piece wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Rguy is on a distinguished road
Powder Coating in NoVA for 3 piece wheels?

Anyone know a local shop around here that can powder coat my 3 piece Champion wheels? They are showing major signs of age and need some work.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Former Vendor
Josh@ECS is on a distinguished road
Figure Finishing in Manassas does fantastic powder coating. They're specialized in small detail oriented work.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 AM
karmavore is on a distinguished road
But Josh, what about wheel dis-assembly and, more importantly, reassembly? Will they do that?

OP: The wheels will need to be resealed, they don't just bolt together. Begin you search with someone who can competently handle that, then find the powder guy.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Former Vendor
Josh@ECS is on a distinguished road
I'm not certain on their mechanical proficiency with 3pc wheels. I do that part of it myself. There are a couple known custom wheel stores in the area, it would probably be easiest to contract the job through them to ensure they're assembled correctly.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 AM
chrcowan has a spectacular aura aboutchrcowan has a spectacular aura about
Karma brings up a good point, but assuming that you've got all of that handled and you are just asking about the power coating, then +100 for figure finishing. They did the wheels on my Viper. If you decide to go with them and you need a discount PM me.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 AM
WeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really nice
All you need is some proper silicon and a torque wrench (in lb. prob better), maybe thread locker depending. It isn't rocket science.

As a matter of fact multiple times I’ve seen BRAND NEW wheel sets from some of the top mfg.s around come with loose hardware of f-ed up sealing. I’d check torque and seal myself anyways on a new set.

Just call mfg. and ask on torque, any thread locker (usually none) and silicon specifics they use, usually any nonhardening / rtv = room temperature vulcanization will do, but some people swear by specific prod.s like Dow 832 for wheels that see high racing temps. Just don’t put any on mating surfaces b/c can change torque val.s as dries and/or temp fluctuation. Assemble wheels, torque optimally in some kind of cross pattern incrementally and then run a thick silicon bead on the outside seam of the halves. Typically let dry 24 hr.s and check torque val.s = done

Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 PM
1 slow 97 will become famous soon enough
taking a three piece wheel apart is pretty easy actually, check out the video

http://www.ccwheel.com/incs/technica...air_video.html