Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

Modifying R56?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 06:13 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Modifying R56?

Hey guys, considering leasing a new MCS.

I was looking for some good upgrades, but there's SO much more for the supercharged version. I know this model is new, and more will come, but just looking for what anybody has done so far?

Suspension: Only found springs, and H&R coilovers. I'd love some Koni Shocks with springs, and Koni made some for the old model, so maybe we'll get them eventually.

Engine: Sooo much more for the old one. Alta Intake/Exhaust/Hoses/ECU? Any alternative?

SSK besides for the Alta?
Do the same wheels fit on both models (offsets?)
TireRack didn't show any wheels with "suggested" 225 tires, but I assume people are running those, or wider?

Any other tips, or small mods that new guys wouldn't know about? Thanks!! These cars are so fun, though I like the older headlights a bit more.

Also, anybody leasing? What were your terms? Thanks.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:47 AM
ALTAADAM007 is on a distinguished road
There are a lot of options for the MINI from ALTA and others.

On the suspension, what are you looking for? Meaning there are swaybars, endlinks, springs, coilovers etc. etc. Just let me know and I can steer you the right direction.

There are alternatives to ALTA on some engine mods etc. But I don't know if they have the same level of service etc.

Wheels CAN fit from the earlier models, but you MUST get the latest ones as MINI changed to a 14mm bolt vs. 12mm on earlier cars. 225's will fit no problem! but the higher profiles will be taller than stock. There are limited "budget" sizes for the car. 215 is more popular as a result.

If I can ever help further PLEASE let me know!

Enjoy the car!

Old 12-16-2007, 10:48 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Thanks a lot!

Looking for just some shocks/springs. Don't need to enhance the handling too much, just a good drop and a nice sporty ride.
Hmmm, 215 - - that's so narrow. I don't know if I'd go with 17s or 18s...

Thanks again.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:57 AM
ALTAADAM007 is on a distinguished road
Yeah you can get 225's (I believe) far more readily on the 18" vs 17". the above reply was in regards to the 17" size. Also, if you are looking for shocks, you can use those designed for the 06 GP model and then purchase shorter endlinks for the front sway bar. The other attachment points are the same, but the front link mounting tabs are moved on the R56. Springs need to be for the R56 though.

T he biggest improvement in handling on this car is the rear sway bar, and springs. HUGE difference! Good luck and let me know if I an ever help!

Old 12-17-2007, 04:26 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
We have delivered 4 JCW R56's in the last 2 months and though the power isn't a ton more, it made a world of difference!! A lot of fun to drive. I know they aren't the most power and not the cheapest, but I love the kit (And its all we can sell here at the dealership).

You should for sure get one, I love driving these things around everyday on test drives!
Evan

Old 12-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Awesome! Thanks again!!

One other Q, I suppose - With lowering springs, does the ride on this car become bouncy? Or are the stock shocks adequate?
My experience with other cars has been negative to lowering on stock shocks.
Thanks!

Evan, thanks for the input. Roughly how much is the JCW package? I'll search on MiniUSA for the power upgrades and body work. Are you guys selling all for MSRP?

$1600 for body kit: good
$2100 for 14 hp: bad

Last edited by WyattH; 12-17-2007 at 04:38 PM.