Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

4-pt cage installed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 05:42 PM
beaner is on a distinguished road
4-pt cage installed!

i just picked up my car from Race Car Builders of South Florida. here are some shots of what they did for me.....

still some tweaking to do, but i love the cage work......

Old 07-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Type R 564 is on a distinguished road
wow i <3 your interior!!!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:48 PM
TurboMini is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

THE CAGE! Awesome! I remember you and I spoke about briefly a while ago. Are you able to squeeze in the extra set of wheels in there or no? Looks great either way. Looks like a weld in..?

p.s. I'm super jealous of you anthracite headliner AND now you need a camera mount

Old 07-16-2008, 05:06 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

It looks really good!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
turboMINI: it is indeed welded in. nothing like spending $$$ to decrease the value of your car. it will be a track only car eventually, so i don't mind doing this now. no way another set of tires will fit. i have three sets of track wheels/tires anyway, so a trailer is required. for now, i just put them in my buddies trailer w/ his MINI. my own trailer is in the works. i know that i'll feel more comfortable at speed w/ the cage, seats, harnesses and hans. i am also looking forward to seeing how the added chassis stiffness will effect the handling.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:19 PM
TurboMini is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by beaner
turboMINI: it is indeed welded in. nothing like spending $$$ to decrease the value of your car. it will be a track only car eventually, so i don't mind doing this now. no way another set of tires will fit. i have three sets of track wheels/tires anyway, so a trailer is required. for now, i just put them in my buddies trailer w/ his MINI. my own trailer is in the works. i know that i'll feel more comfortable at speed w/ the cage, seats, harnesses and hans. i am also looking forward to seeing how the added chassis stiffness will effect the handling.
Spending $$$ to decrease value?? I am VERY familiar with the concept.

I know that it adds a little bit of weight that can't easily be removed, but the "sportlink" and the hitch are both convenient ways to haul stuff around. I think that for both of these systems (or at least one of them) there is a metal tray system attachment thing. from the pics I've seen, it looks as though you'd be able to put an extra set of wheels on there. Just a thought. I'll try and find some links for you.

What kind of harness are you running? When I was in the process of converting the car to track only I was using the Corbeu harnesses with the retractor option. It made them SO much easier to deal with on the street. Worked just like the OEM belts; I could lean forward w/o having to loosen anything, BUT if I were to have gotten into an impact of some kind it would have locked up. Then when you go to the track, there was a **** on the side that would totally lock it up.

And just to add some more stiffness (poor grammar) All of the convertibles came with two little braces in the engine bay. I've heard a lot of good things about them and they are relatively inexpensive. Plus if you have an 05/06, I think that holes are already there...

I'm going to stop blabbing now, but the progress looks great!!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by TurboMini
Spending $$$ to decrease value?? I am VERY familiar with the concept.

preaching to the choir here!

I know that it adds a little bit of weight that can't easily be removed, but the "sportlink" and the hitch are both convenient ways to haul stuff around. I think that for both of these systems (or at least one of them) there is a metal tray system attachment thing. from the pics I've seen, it looks as though you'd be able to put an extra set of wheels on there. Just a thought. I'll try and find some links for you.

i've checked them out, but i can't bring my mind to grasp the concept of a trailer behind a MINI. i'd rather pull up w/ the MINI in a trailer, ready to go, behind a diesel F250.

What kind of harness are you running? When I was in the process of converting the car to track only I was using the Corbeu harnesses with the retractor option. It made them SO much easier to deal with on the street. Worked just like the OEM belts; I could lean forward w/o having to loosen anything, BUT if I were to have gotten into an impact of some kind it would have locked up. Then when you go to the track, there was a **** on the side that would totally lock it up.

i bought schroth 6-pt harnesses. SFI16.5, hans-specific for the driver and profi 2 for the passenger side. i looked at harnesses w/ inertial reels, but decided that i could live w/ the pia belts on the street for a while.

And just to add some more stiffness (poor grammar) All of the convertibles came with two little braces in the engine bay. I've heard a lot of good things about them and they are relatively inexpensive. Plus if you have an 05/06, I think that holes are already there...

i authored the thread about these on NAM. a lady w/ a cabrio was doing here first track event w/ the group with which i run. i spotted them after her first session when her bonnet was up. her name is brandy, and in our group, we refer to them as "brandy braces". i don't know how much they help, but they can't hurt, they are light weight and they are cheap. i don't know why everyone who tracks their MINI wouldn't get them. i also have the M7 USS. i love it, but i will be replacing it w/ a texas speedwerks x-brace as the USS won't be compatible w/ the exhaust that i will be installing.

I'm going to stop blabbing now, but the progress looks great!!
blab away. i enjoy the exchange of ideas. thanks for the compliments.

greg

Old 07-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned
1JDM996 has a spectacular aura about1JDM996 has a spectacular aura about1JDM996 has a spectacular aura about
nice setup you got there.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:47 AM
skcoops is on a distinguished road
sweeeeet!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:11 PM
calteg is on a distinguished road
Looks awesome. Going to gut the rest of the interior?

Old 12-04-2008, 05:25 AM
i'll decide by the end of the year whether i keep the car as a DE car or turn it into a BMWCCA club racer in D mod. i can get the weight down to below 2200#. this weight, w/ some power and suspension upgrades should make it a nice, competitive racer.