Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

Need to get a new tire...anyone switch to non run flats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 01:21 AM
AaronK is a jewel in the roughAaronK is a jewel in the roughAaronK is a jewel in the roughAaronK is a jewel in the rough
Need to get a new tire...anyone switch to non run flats?

Has anyone switched to non run flats on their mini? If so how did it change the ride quality and handling? I almost think I would rather have a bottle of fix a flat and real tires.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:43 AM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
I switched to the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 in 215/45/17 and they are much better than my old run flats. They are a little taller so they provide a little softer ride which makes bumps a lot less jarring plus they are a lot quieter than the run flats. As for handling, the initial turn in seems a little slower but they have a lot more stick than my old Dunlop run flats. I would highly recommended switching as they are also nearly half the price of run flats.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:55 AM
AaronK is a jewel in the roughAaronK is a jewel in the roughAaronK is a jewel in the roughAaronK is a jewel in the rough
thanks, I really only need one tire which is worn due to alignment issue but I swear these tires are a gripe of mine. Really noticed it when I used the car to commute for about a week. Maybe I can sell the other 3 and recoop some of the cost so my wife who actually drives the mini most of the time doesn't think I am totally crazy.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:02 AM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
A -

Check out this special at Tire Rack

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=All&x=33&y=13

Old 08-30-2006, 03:12 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AaronK
thanks, I really only need one tire which is worn due to alignment issue but I swear these tires are a gripe of mine. Really noticed it when I used the car to commute for about a week. Maybe I can sell the other 3 and recoop some of the cost so my wife who actually drives the mini most of the time doesn't think I am totally crazy.
Couple of things...

If you're going to change tires, change at least 2... either fronts or rears. Changing just ONE tire to a different brand is never a good idea. There are too many variables that can result in inconsistant handling, which can be unsafe. Imagine 3 corners with stiff sidewalls and 1 with soft... very bad. And that's just one example.

Also, I assume you have tire-pressure sensors with your Mini like ours... don't use fix-a-flat... you'll screw up the tire pressure sensor.

Good Luck.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by StephenTi
Couple of things...

If you're going to change tires, change at least 2... either fronts or rears. Changing just ONE tire to a different brand is never a good idea. There are too many variables that can result in inconsistant handling, which can be unsafe. Imagine 3 corners with stiff sidewalls and 1 with soft... very bad. And that's just one example.

Also, I assume you have tire-pressure sensors with your Mini like ours... don't use fix-a-flat... you'll screw up the tire pressure sensor.

Good Luck.
Hi, I picked up four new Eagle F1 GSD3 non run flat tires. We'll join AAA and hope nothing happens!

Old 08-30-2006, 12:18 PM
SLA
SLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud of
Regarding the tire pressure monitoring, the MINI doesn't use a sensor inside the wheel, their system monitors the rotation speed, assuming that a tire with lower pressure has a different rotation that a normally inflated one. It works with any tire/wheel combo you use, which is nice and save the trouble of wheel sensors.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Wow... learn something everyday... very cool! I wasn wondering why someimes, it'd go off... however, the tire pressre checks out. I guess it must be pretty sensitive to sense the minute dif in rolling diameter.

Stephen

Old 09-06-2006, 09:20 AM
speedjunky is infamous around these parts
I always get new tires for the front and move the fronts to the back.
That way I don't have to wait to switch all four tires and the fronts always have good traction.

Also, non run flats have so much better ride... never going back to run flats

Old 09-10-2006, 01:15 AM
Hey Aaron,

You liking the Goodyears???!!!

Old 09-11-2006, 10:00 PM
I have only driven the car about 5 miles since they were put on but I can feel that the ride is more compliant however, I will need a longer drive to comment on them beyond just the intial impression. Tire place scraped all four rims and now I have to take them to small claims court so have been steaming over that.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:48 AM
Sorry to hear about the rims. What shop did you take it to?

Old 09-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by SKXF430
Sorry to hear about the rims. What shop did you take it to?
A local chain called Waynes Tire. Looks like I will have to take them to small claims court over it. Bastiches!

Old 09-17-2006, 11:18 PM
BrakeL8 is infamous around these partsBrakeL8 is infamous around these parts
I came in here to post this exact topic- my main question is not what tires to get (will be downsizing to 16" rims and non-run flats), but primarily what the options are for fixing flat tires and not ending up stranded.

I know BMW included a kit in the older M roadsters as they didn't have a spare, think it may have also included plugs/compressor?

How reliable are my options I occasionally drive this car to the Bay Area from SoCal via PCH and wouldn't want to be stranded.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:59 AM
I bought a tire repair kit from Tire Rack. Basically, the same type of deal I had on my M5. There is a risk with non-run flats, but carry a cell phone with you at all times in case the kit doesn't work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need to get a new tire...anyone switch to non run flats?