New Member Introductions New here? Introduce yourself to the 6SpeedOnline Community and show us your ride!

Greetings From Castle Hills, TX!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:40 PM
markfsanderson is on a distinguished road
Cool Greetings From Castle Hills, TX!

It looks like it'll be a Porche 911 . . . need advice!
My wife, 1 year old soon and myself are looking for a fun car that we can all enjoy. Here is the criteria:
1) Less than 40K (Rules out a new 911 - used is fine by me)
2) 4 seats ( back 2 for kids or lunch-time quick ride adults )
3) Not a GM car (I was ripped off during the GM meltdown debacle)
4) Must be reliable (ruless out the beautiful RX8 - I love its looks)
5) Easy on the eyes (911 certainly has that)
6) Fun in the Texas Hill Country . . . I love riding my H-D FXDC there . . . Good handling, nice acceleration, comfortable seating . . . etc
7) Manual Transmission
8) No Turbo, No AWD/FWD (KISS sports car)
9) Comes in Red or Yellow (Wife's requirement!)
10) We're neutral on convertible vs sunroof . . . I'm leaning towards convertible . . . but if a great deal comes along on a sunroof equiped I'd jump on it.

We're on a slow look at this time . . . maybe a purchase towards the end of the year . . .not sure. No hurry. It seems like that a Porsche 911/997 2006-2008 should fit the bill? What about long-term reliability? Is regular maintenance doable by the owner who's motivated and enjoys it - or are these cars too much for a amateur? I maintain my 2011 H-D FXDC . . . and enjoy it.

Any thoughts, opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Warm Regards,
Mark!!

Old 01-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Greetings?

More than 200 looks and no replies or greetings? Oh well . . . I was hoping to more point of views . . .

Mark

Old 01-26-2015, 08:00 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
The 997 seems to fit your criteria and they are great cars. I would stay away from the 2005's because of the potential for RMS/IMS issues. I had an 06 for almost four years and never had a single issue with it. Not expensive to service and was totally reliable. Since then I moved on to a 997.2 turbo which IMO is one of the best 911's ever. In regards to which model, I would surely spend a little more for the S model. Comes with quite a few more goodies out of the box that you'll wish you had if you purchased a base model.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:20 AM
Thumbs up The S, RMS and IMS . . .

Originally Posted by White Rock
The 997 seems to fit your criteria and they are great cars. I would stay away from the 2005's because of the potential for RMS/IMS issues. I had an 06 for almost four years and never had a single issue with it. Not expensive to service and was totally reliable. Since then I moved on to a 997.2 turbo which IMO is one of the best 911's ever. In regards to which model, I would surely spend a little more for the S model. Comes with quite a few more goodies out of the box that you'll wish you had if you purchased a base model.
Thanks for the response! What are RMS/IMS issues? I'm not familiar with the terms. Sounds like the 2006 S is the way to go . . . does the extra displacement and goodies in the S cost any reliability in your experience?

thanks again!

Mark

Old 01-26-2015, 12:43 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by markfsanderson
Thanks for the response! What are RMS/IMS issues? I'm not familiar with the terms. Sounds like the 2006 S is the way to go . . . does the extra displacement and goodies in the S cost any reliability in your experience?

thanks again!

Mark

Here is a thread on the RMS/IMS:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rchid=13894075

In regards to the S version, it has a different engine than the non-S. Much better power delivery, upgraded breaks and a few other driver enhancement options. There is an awesome car on here for sale that has the x51 power kit. This was a $17k option on the 997.1 that brings it up to the same power levels as the 997.2 S (381 hp)

Last edited by White Rock; 01-26-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:46 PM
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ioned-x51.html

Looks like he lowered the price on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...US_Cars_Trucks

This is the best naturally aspirated 997.1 you can get other than the GT3