New Member Introductions New here? Introduce yourself to the 6SpeedOnline Community and show us your ride!

Porsche Turbo

Old 04-02-2016, 02:04 AM
RussT is on a distinguished road
Porsche Turbo

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this and need some advice! Currently in the market for a Porsche Turbo either 2007/08 model or spending a little more and getting the 09/10. The dilemma is the transmission. Tiptronic v's PDK? And also any advice on the blue tooth quality between the years would be appreciated.
Many thanks,
Russell

Old 04-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Never Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of light
Welcome, there is a wealth of knowledge and information on the Porsche turbos here, and many willing to share from their own experience.

I recently went through my own Porsche turbo search, and had some similar questions and considerations.

One thing I did learn is the Tiptronic S used in these cars is made for Porsche by Mercedes, and as a result of the marketing agreement, Porsche does not even stock repair parts for them. A fairly common problem on the tip seems to be a leaking seal between the transmission and the transfer case, and Porsche has no fix other than to recommend a very expensive new transmission. Google is your friend on this research, and I found far too many reports of this seal failure on the tiptronic S in the Porsche turbos for my own comfort level. The first 911 turbo I made a deposit on was a tiptronic, and the local Porsche dealer found it had that the all too common leaking transfer case seal, and they could only recommend a new transmission replacement as a repair. There are apparently some independents that have a tiptronic rebuild using the Mercedes seal, but just knowing this a fairly common problem with the tiptronic did have an influence on my decision to buy a manual transmission.

The 2010 and later 997tt has the PDK option, and I absolutely loved the dual clutch transmission in one of my prior cars. Like many other Porsche owners I would love to have the turbo with a PDK, and I did briefly consider a 2010 997.2 with the PDK, but decided it was just priced a little more than I was prepared to spend.

I hope some of this information is helpful, enjoy the search!

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...on-repairable/

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tiptronic.html