New Member Introductions New here? Introduce yourself to the 6SpeedOnline Community and show us your ride!

Fed up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 04:12 PM
jplondon is on a distinguished road
Fed up

I usually check here from time to time to see what everyone is up to ever since I bought my first Cayenne back in 2009. I've never really found anything ground breaking but did learn some useful tips and tricks.
My biggest gripe is with the quality or should I say versatility of audio products now days in most vehicles particularly Mercedes and Porsche. I find it unacceptable that just about every aspect of the current audio systems are pretty much proprietary. I grew up in the sixties when all car audio was optional and actually have a background in electronics but stopped doing that in 1989. Around that time you could pretty much design your own system. While I have stuck with auto mechanics due to the cost of routine maintenance in the dealer I have strayed away from audio until lately. Not to ramble on but you would think that just like TV's Computers and pretty much anything portable would have A/V ports for expansion or enchantments. Why aren't line level outputs standard on all head units? Why isn't there a loop if you want to add equalization. I think Android Auto and Apple Car Play are a step in the right direction but it seems like everything is either over priced or slightly behind the times. .Sorry but Bose is not the gold standard in car speakers and what's up with all the different speaker impedances. Whey the heck is everything still 12 volts? Anyway I am making it my mission to return to electronics and figure out a way to add a line level output to my Porsche Cayenne system. Speaker lever amplification is pure garbage and without at least five bands of equalization you will be left unsatisfied. Although the head unit communicates with the amp via fiber optics amplification occurs in the amp hence there should be a way to tap that amp and provide line level out put and maybe even an equalization loop. I will be investing in an amplifier to dissect soon so I can reverse engineer it and rule the car audio world... (insert fading sinister laugh here) and it would cost a fortune either.