Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Were you allowed to test drive before buying?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:15 PM
achenator is a jewel in the roughachenator is a jewel in the roughachenator is a jewel in the rough
I have been in my local dealer a few times asking about the gtr. The first time i was in my DD nissan frontier (bought from them) nobody was interested in talking to me. It's amazing how rolling up in a 08 M3 changes things.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:58 PM
travisflatbar is on a distinguished road
Buy it..........you won't be dissappointed...........i never test drove mine.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:03 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I'm glad it worked out for you.

Some dealers are just a$$holes.

I had exactly the opposite reaction when I approached a BMW dealership asking to drive an M3 (2006), and Porsche dealership asking to drive a 911t.

Nobody took me seriously. They did not let me test drive them.

I came back in my new GT-R, they just tossed me the keys to any Porsche on the lot (literally - didn't even ask for anything - driver's license, none of the usual crap - just asked when I planned on being back).

Old 10-22-2009, 01:22 PM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
Funny.......I was hell bent on getting a GT-R 8 months ago, but the dealership gave me a really hard time. I pulled up in my old modded 911, but the owner of the dealership said it was too cold outside! I just couldnt pay 80k for a car without a drive. 3 weeks later i'm driving my 'new' 2003 996TT and the phone rings. The dealer says ' ok man, were ready to let you drive!" I laughed and told him i'd call him back when i was bored with my new ride (usually takes a year or two). I still wonder about the GT-R, but right now i'm looking for a GT-R to race, I think I could take him!

Old 10-22-2009, 01:36 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BlueFVD-575
Funny.......I was hell bent on getting a GT-R 8 months ago, but the dealership gave me a really hard time. I pulled up in my old modded 911, but the owner of the dealership said it was too cold outside! I just couldnt pay 80k for a car without a drive. 3 weeks later i'm driving my 'new' 2003 996TT and the phone rings. The dealer says ' ok man, were ready to let you drive!" I laughed and told him i'd call him back when i was bored with my new ride (usually takes a year or two). I still wonder about the GT-R, but right now i'm looking for a GT-R to race, I think I could take him!
BlueFVD, I love it, you just made my day, honestly........
Personally i think you are far better off in a Porsche then a GT-R, just my opinion though...Enjoy your new ride, and drive it like you stole it for me....

Old 10-22-2009, 01:44 PM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
My Porsche mechanic (with whom i unfortunately have a very close realtionship) almost lost it on me when i told him i wanted a GT-R. I have to be honest, the car still captivates me. I just wish Nissan wouldnt act like they've reinvented the wheel and make you buy it before u drive it. I'll probably get a GT-R some day, but for now the Porsche is by far the most thrilling (and expensive to fix) car i have ever owned. Any Cleveland area GT-R owners out there care to swap for a while?

Old 10-22-2009, 06:59 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Nissan didn't/doesn't do this - the dealership does. I've seen Mercedes dealerships, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, etc... do this - even Honda wouldn't let anybody test drive a damn S2000.

It's dealership specific, not brand/model specific.

In fact, the GM or dealer principal MUST let you drive before you purchase/take delivery of the car (it's in the paperwork that you would've signed).

It is a special deal when a GT-R is purchased, however... You get a tech assigned to your car (sound familiar?), and only 3 people can get in it. You never wait for anything, always head of the line privileges... It's been a great experience thus far.

It was quite better than the BMW, Infiniti, Porsche ownerships I've had - by a long shot. At the Porsche dealer, you're just another P-car owner... At the Nissan dealer - you are a GT-R owner. It's quite different.