Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Reliability as DD(Daily Driver) 1991 rb32 GT-R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:48 AM
JuviAdament is on a distinguished road
Reliability as DD(Daily Driver) 1991 rb32 GT-R

Hi I am 20 going on 21, my friend owns a GT-R that he is selling for dirt cheap to me as I am his friend. It is currently running a bit rough but has been sitting for 2 years after the bumper bar was pushed inward after a truck backed into it. He is a mechanic and has owned numerous imports/skylines managed his own shop specializing in imports. However he is now going to University and is selling his shop and is looking to sell the car fast. He brought it up to me first before telling anyone else as he knows I've always wanted a nice car and been slightly interested in it. I know that the GT-R's have an issue with the Oil Pump and that it is a rough job to do. I myself wouldn't be capable as when it comes to cars I am not at all experienced. My friend's shop has now sold and he doesn't have the time to help me with any issues that may arise. He believes the cars running rough because of the old fuel sitting in it. His mechanic at his shop also looked at it and thinks that the old fuel is most likely the issue. However the mechanic told me if I do buy it that the first thing I should do is put a forsale sign up in it and sell it for 4-5k above price that I am paying. However I am nervous that if I bought it it may turn out to be a real serious issue, and I might get screwed over. Ontop of that I am loaning 2k of my grandfather to purchase this vehicle, and I have intentions of going to university shortly so this will be my last purchase before I begin school. I would like to know if it would make a good DD how serious they are with reliability issues and if this would be a good purchase, also nervous of falling in love with it. It has a crazy hand air-brushed graphic of a dragon on the hood, also is straight piped. And the only thing making me want to get this car is that is it stock. I've been told that if they remain stock issues are next to non. I just have talked this car up to my grandfather and do not want to buy it for it to be a disappointment and end up breaking down and him being disappointed in me. I currently own a 1992 nissan 240sx, chasis is 99% clean absolutely have loved the car, Love nissan was a great first car and this is what is drawing me towards the skyline.? Please help me!

Last edited by JuviAdament; 02-24-2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 02-24-2012, 06:24 AM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Originally Posted by JuviAdament
Hi I am 20 going on 21, my friend owns a GT-R that he is selling for dirt cheap to me as I am his friend. It is currently running a bit rough but has been sitting for 2 years after the bumper bar was pushed inward after a truck backed into it. He is a mechanic and has owned numerous imports/skylines managed his own shop specializing in imports. However he is now going to University and is selling his shop and is looking to sell the car fast. He brought it up to me first before telling anyone else as he knows I've always wanted a nice car and been slightly interested in it. I know that the GT-R's have an issue with the Oil Pump and that it is a rough job to do. I myself wouldn't be capable as when it comes to cars I am not at all experienced. My friend's shop has now sold and he doesn't have the time to help me with any issues that may arise. He believes the cars running rough because of the old fuel sitting in it. His mechanic at his shop also looked at it and thinks that the old fuel is most likely the issue. However the mechanic told me if I do buy it that the first thing I should do is put a forsale sign up in it and sell it for 4-5k above price that I am paying. However I am nervous that if I bought it it may turn out to be a real serious issue, and I might get screwed over. Ontop of that I am loaning 2k of my grandfather to purchase this vehicle, and I have intentions of going to university shortly so this will be my last purchase before I begin school. I would like to know if it would make a good DD how serious they are with reliability issues and if this would be a good purchase, also nervous of falling in love with it. It has a crazy hand air-brushed graphic of a dragon on the hood, also is straight piped. And the only thing making me want to get this car is that is it stock. I've been told that if they remain stock issues are next to non. I just have talked this car up to my grandfather and do not want to buy it for it to be a disappointment and end up breaking down and him being disappointed in me. I currently own a 1992 nissan 240sx, chasis is 99% clean absolutely have loved the car, Love nissan was a great first car and this is what is drawing me towards the skyline.? Please help me!

Sounds like you are concerned the car may end up costing you lots of money in terms of upkeep and even just getting it up to par. I cannot comment on the reliability of a 91 Skyline but can advice that as you are a young man starting out in life/college, you would be better off financially getting a practical economical car to get you through College. You were given good advice: if you are in fact being offred the car thousands below its market value, it might not be a bad idea to buy the car with the intention of reselling it right away (but have a mechanic look at it first to ensure the engine and tranny is good to go).

I know this is probably not what you want to hear but you will have enough expenses when college starts. I would not depend on this 91 skyline as a dependable daily driver....a weekend toy, yes, but not a daily driver.

Study hard in college/pick the right career field, keep your expenses as low as possible, and save as much a possible. If you do this, you should be on your why to a promisin career and a NEW GT-R in the not to distant future.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:02 AM
JuviAdament is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the Advice. The cars offered to me at $5000, the nearest import dealer which is roughly 45 minutes away sells their 1991 GT-R's for $9000. I could probably get $7000-8000. I honestly wanted the GTS-T the RB25DET is a really reliable engine more so in research then the rb26. Also GTS-T's are rear wheel drive also lighter, I enjoy attempting to drift, slowly am learning throughout my time with the 240. I mean the GT-R my friend will sell me has a conversion switch so he made it so it will go rear, but ya.

Last edited by JuviAdament; 02-24-2012 at 07:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 AM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
if that is the case, inquire with that dealership to see if they would be interested in buying it before you commit to buying it from your friend. Maybe you can make a quick $1,000-$2,000 without having to wait around and sell it private party.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Don't buy it.