Professional Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:24 PM
deafboy has a spectacular aura aboutdeafboy has a spectacular aura aboutdeafboy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by lawin
i used the word in the context on which you interpreted it above, so i am using YOUR definition. maybe you should consider a minor in english as well.
I believe I only used it referring to you all being successful business people and the previous post? When I said "what's the point of working for success though if you're by yourself" I probably should have quoted "success." Sorry for the confusion, my apologies. Thank you for your input.

But an English minor isn't a bad idea

Old 03-17-2009, 10:51 PM
deafboy has a spectacular aura aboutdeafboy has a spectacular aura aboutdeafboy has a spectacular aura about
Hey Everyone,

I have been busy for the past month and a half and haven't really been on the boards. For those of you the PM'ed me back about the help with the resume I would like to apologize for not getting back to you sooner, I really do feel bad about that. I appreciate all the help you all have given me.

School has made a couple turns and have ended up taking all my time. Instead of doing an internship this summer I will be doing summer courses. There are a couple courses I need that are only offered this summer and next spring, so that has taken priority over my internship. The good thing is that my last final is tomorrow and I am feeling pretty good about it.

Anyways, I would just like to thank all of you for all of the help. You all have been a great help.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:40 AM
TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !
Excellent posts here and really great advice. I've owned seven different companies and I've trustee of some very large ones. I've looked at thousands of resumes and I've hired hundreds of people. Length of resume means nothing to me. If it takes five pages to tell a compelling story, I'll read it. Just make sure it grabs my attention.

Also, just getting out of school, I'd go intern for Paul in a heartbeat. Microsoft as an internship wouldn't impress me if I saw it on a resume. No offense to Microsoft. Just learning about Paul's positive attitude will have a huge impact on your future success. My whole life changed because of my college internship which was alongside someone who was always positive and extremely successful.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Sorry to bump such an old thread, figured it'd be better than making a new one.

After talking to even more people this is where I am at as of now...

My Resume

Thoughts?

Last edited by deafboy; 04-11-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:51 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by deafboy
Sorry to bump such an old thread, figured it'd be better than making a new one.

After talking to even more people this is where I am at as of now...

My Resume

Thoughts?
amazon.com

Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Hi Deafboy (sorry I don't know your actual name, I didn't see it listed in the other posts)

The only suggestion I would have for your resume is to list a few responsibilities under your two previous positions as a Store Manager and Real Estate Assistant. Did you manage a team at the Seafood store? If so, how many? Did you interface with clients/customers when you worked with the RE agent? Just a few things that would point out what skills you have along with your educational background?
Not sure about etiquette on this, but if your current GPA in school is notable, maybe list that?

Hope that helps......

~James

Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
One other suggestion is maybe add a summary at the very top. This gives the manager or recruiter a quick blurb about you and your experience before going into details with education and work experience. This might be a little difficult for someone that has more schooling than work experience. Here is what I have at the top of mine for example: (formatting aside as it's web based and not in Word)

CAREER SUMMARY

Dependable, experienced NETWORK ENGINEER with 15 years of progressive experience in the Information Systems industry. Demonstrated expertise in designing and implementing network architecture. Strengths include:

· Cisco Certified Network Professional · Customer service oriented
· Analytical · Design networks
· Installation · Research technology

Leverages strong technical and people skills to build trust and confidence in customers. Honest, reliable, flexible, outgoing team player and troubleshooter.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:26 AM
TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !
When I look at a resume, I look for two things; where you're going and what you've achieved so far. The experience stuff comes after that. Your resume doesn't say anything about where you're going and you wrote about your experience in such a way that it doesn't tell me what you achieved, only what you experienced. As an example, if you were running a company, you took sales from x to y in a certain amount of time, etc. There are a lot of people looking for work who think just showing up is good enough and those are the resumes I try to weed out from the start.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:44 AM
So I tried to incorporate as much feedback from everyone (not just you guys) that I could, found it a bit difficult to try and please everyone.

Anyways, here is my new one for anyone that cares to take a look. Thanks again for all the feedback. Every little tid-bit is greatly appreciated. I honestly can't thank you all enough.

My Modified Resume