Lexus LFA requiring "approval" for purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Horhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to all
1. The SLR is a GT car from 2003. Not very surprising that newer cars are faster.

2. Pontiac sold over 500 Azteks, obviously there is no accounting for taste in automotive purchasing.

Last edited by Horhay; 01-21-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 PM
TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !
Let me put it another way, Lamborghini alone gets thousands of people who walk in the door saying they will buy something when it's available. It doesn't matter what model it is. They don't throw pre-sale launch parties because they know the game and how many people like to pretend they are serious buyers when they are not. The exotic brands pulled out of the major car shows because they know that given the costs, they don't produce much in the way of actual results. They are spending their marketing dollars more wisely going after buyers who are already in the exotic community. Exotic brands will return to car shows when they feel they can afford the shows, given the results.

Dealers roll their eyes with every unknown buyer who walks in the door and claims to be ready to buy a car. I got the treatment first hand. Nothing Lexus claims rings true because I'm looking at the softness of the current market for ALL exotics. If it were even remotely true, the used market would be a lot tighter. Gallardos that can beat the numbers on the LFA are not flying out the door and they are $100-$150k less. Yet, the 458 will be sold out for a long time and all the evidence is there to support that claim, such as buzz among exotic owners, talk of making room in the garage, etc., all the stuff that comes with plans for a new car. When the subject of the Lexus LFA comes up, it's nothing but the sound of crickets.

I also have some confidential information I can't share regarding some actual exotic sales numbers including some projections and they are not supporting the likely displacement caused by another 100 $350k cars showing up in California. I think Mark is exactly right, they will sell between ten and twenty and that's about it.

Again, this thread started because I believe this is smoke and mirrors. The very notion that they select buyers allows them to spin the results any way they want. When sales don't materialize, they can claim that they just didn't find the buyers with the right profile. We'll see how many LFA's show up at that first owner's reunion in LA. With that many cars sold there, we should see them everywhere, unless the lease comes with a $50.00 per mile "added wear" penalty.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:16 PM
TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !
Ah yes, the Aztek! The world's ugliest car! I forgot about that thing. What the HELL where they thinking?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:37 PM
warmmilk is just really nicewarmmilk is just really nicewarmmilk is just really nicewarmmilk is just really nice
so is that a no on the wager?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
I have never said they failed... Toyota made a car that's their version of the Veyron... An engineers wet dream that is going to cost the company piles of money with every one they lease. They will lease them all, and probably do so at terms that are disadvantageous to them as a company. This will cost them more on the back end when they finally have to sell the car. That's when they are going to have trouble... That's when they won't be able to sell the cars for what they "should" be able to according to their lease paperwork.

They pissed off a lot of their loyal luxury car base in saying that they are going to choose whom they let lease the car. That put them into a real bind because that newly pissed off group was some of the people that they really needed to "express interest" in order to keep that percieved exclusivity.

It was a foolish move on their part. Toyota Motor Corp would have done better for their Lexus brand in releasing this car if they had simply said: "First 500 people we call that say yes get an LF-A."

Old 01-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Horhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TommyJames
Ah yes, the Aztek! The world's ugliest car! I forgot about that thing. What the HELL where they thinking?
Looked up the sales numbers for the early year Azteks and when I saw 20k plus sales I thought exactly what you asked... What the HELL were they thinking?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:07 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by warmmilk
care to put a wager on that? 100 bucks? vasiliy could hold it

it out performs the slr in every category and the slr is even more expensive, i don't see anybody hating on those...

while i agree its overpriced, it doesn't change the fact that toyota will have no problem at all moving 500 of them...
$100 bucks? And you want a Mafioso to hold the Cash....Why don't we make it a gentlemans $1 bet. I'm in.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Eliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond repute
If Tommy takes the bet I'm going to lease one of these so that his dollar will be going towards the first months lease so Tommy would be indirectly leasing a lexus lfa.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 PM
warmmilk is just really nicewarmmilk is just really nicewarmmilk is just really nicewarmmilk is just really nice
$1 bet it is, anybody else wanna join in?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by warmmilk
$1 bet it is, anybody else wanna join in?
who's holding the money....i'm not giving the cash to just anyone.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:13 AM
don't worry, vasiliy has plenty of experience in such matters...

Old 01-22-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm in.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:58 AM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
I'll take care of the cash, don't worry guys....

Old 01-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by CrazyRuskie
I'll take care of the cash, don't worry guys....
with a newbie crazyruskie on the way.....I'm sure you will

I say we rent a safety deposit box at a neutral bank. I'm not trusting this kind of cash with ANYONE......

How long does Lexus have to pedal their little car. Porsche gave up in 20 months after all interest flatlined on the CGT. They were looking to sell 1500 cars in a much better market though. Plus well (not biased) at least they were pitching a good looking car.

Since all the articles say they are basically spoken for LMAO we should say they get 3 months.

Possibly Nissan Engineers are kicking themselves right now. Why didn't we list our GTR for 5 times as much and tell our customers which one gets one......
Per Wikipedia GTR 3800lbs 480hp car 0-60 in 3.3 seconds where this LFA claims on Lexus Build site 582hp and 0-60 in 3.6 seconds. I won't take any of them but I'd bet most people would want 5 different color GTR's over one LFA........Can someone on here tell me they weren't drawn on the same fricking table

I won't pretend to actually believe Nissans claim on the car but they aren't slow....Hell Ferrari's been publishing the wrong weight of their cars since 1965

Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
the GTR out of warranty will cost as much as the LFA... don't you change the transmission at every oil change?

:-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA requiring "approval" for purchase