Other British Cars Jaguar, TVR, Rolls Royce, Morgan, Caterham, Noble & Range Rover

New XKR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 05:21 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Will be driving the XKR-S shortly ...

Old 07-20-2011, 06:17 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
PLEASE tell us about your experience when you do.

I have been unable to find one locally to do this.

(And, no I don't care that the GT-R is 5+ secs faster around Top Gear's test track)

Old 07-20-2011, 12:48 PM
RacingEngineV8 has much to be proud ofRacingEngineV8 has much to be proud ofRacingEngineV8 has much to be proud ofRacingEngineV8 has much to be proud ofRacingEngineV8 has much to be proud ofRacingEngineV8 has much to be proud ofRacingEngineV8 has much to be proud ofRacingEngineV8 has much to be proud ofRacingEngineV8 has much to be proud of
I like it....and the 2012 versione with a 5.0 V8 is very good too! I'd buy it also for the great sound!

Old 08-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
PLEASE tell us about your experience when you do.

I have been unable to find one locally to do this.

(And, no I don't care that the GT-R is 5+ secs faster around Top Gear's test track)
You won't for a while I think. I made a connection after NY show that is bringing me to Jaguar's NA HQ in NJ tomorrow morning to drive it. I'm guessing it will be the blue one that's been in the mags but hope it's the white one I saw at the show. I hope they have some kind of test-track or something and then let me take it out on the streets. Stay tuned as my report will follow soon...

Old 08-03-2011, 03:23 AM
rayman89 will become famous soon enough
Old 08-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Not much of a review by Jay, but here's mine: Car looks very cool and I got to see red, white, blue and black. Only gray wasn't there. Looks best in red IMO, but it was more red delicious apple (metallic) than regular red. Carbon fiber touches are nice and the exhaust note, the biggest surprise, is outrageous. Power is Jekyl/Hyde in that tip-in isn't aggressive but once past halfway you really get the power. Suspension tuning is almost perfect compromise of firm enough, but doesn't beat you up on the streets and highways. Steering is a bit light and not as direct as I'd like. The transmission, a regular 6-speed auto with paddles is decent. Interior is beautifully done and the seats are quite comfortable. A very,very nice car but not OMG for me, so the Aston stays (for now)

Old 08-04-2011, 10:39 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Red Devil
Not much of a review by Jay, but here's mine: Car looks very cool and I got to see red, white, blue and black. Only gray wasn't there. Looks best in red IMO, but it was more red delicious apple (metallic) than regular red. Carbon fiber touches are nice and the exhaust note, the biggest surprise, is outrageous. Power is Jekyl/Hyde in that tip-in isn't aggressive but once past halfway you really get the power. Suspension tuning is almost perfect compromise of firm enough, but doesn't beat you up on the streets and highways. Steering is a bit light and not as direct as I'd like. The transmission, a regular 6-speed auto with paddles is decent. Interior is beautifully done and the seats are quite comfortable. A very,very nice car but not OMG for me, so the Aston stays (for now)
Does the auto feel like an auto? Or is it a single clutch sequential, with automated clutch feel? To me, these are totally different experiences.

Also, let me ask - if you didn't have the Aston, would you consider the Jag?

Old 08-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Does the auto feel like an auto? Or is it a single clutch sequential, with automated clutch feel? To me, these are totally different experiences.

Also, let me ask - if you didn't have the Aston, would you consider the Jag?
It is a regular auto, albeit a good one. I like some of the "boy racer" aspects but not sure it's worth 35+ K over the XKR I drove. Not sure if either would be for me but it is a VERY livable and enjoyable car. It's price point doesn't have a ton of options but maybe SL63, 911 variants, Vantage and R8 come to mind.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:51 AM
It is a regular auto, albeit a good one. I like some of the "boy racer" aspects but not sure it's worth 35+ K over the XKR I drove. Not sure if either would be for me but it is a VERY livable and enjoyable car. It's price point doesn't have a ton of options but maybe SL63, 911 variants, Vantage and R8 come to mind.
Thank you for your perspective. I know the wife and I are interested in this car.

We both are looking at the XKR-S, R8, and 911. She doesn't like manual, so we are looking at the auto (or preferrably dual-clutch) versions, as opposed to the manual versions. I may have to check out the XKR-S. The problem is trying to look at one in Fayetteville. Won't happen. So my search is going to take a while.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Thank you for your perspective. I know the wife and I are interested in this car.

We both are looking at the XKR-S, R8, and 911. She doesn't like manual, so we are looking at the auto (or preferrably dual-clutch) versions, as opposed to the manual versions. I may have to check out the XKR-S. The problem is trying to look at one in Fayetteville. Won't happen. So my search is going to take a while.
Yeah, I don't like your chances. With 100/yr. slated it will be tough. I'd suggest doing what I did: go to Jaguar NA sight where they actually give links to e-mails of administration and send an inquiry. There are at least a dozen in the US right now and most of them were in NJ. These cars go out all over the place via press cars and other stuff so one might get close to you. There's a lot to like and it would be the most extroverted of your three, depending on color. Was in the Audi showroom same day and they had a silver V10 R8 there. Great interior and so many good things written about the drive but the styling is not my taste. You can never go wrong with a 911 and oddly enough I've been finding myself attracted to a "simpler" car as in 911 C2/4 S and NOT Turbo, GT-3 etc. After having a wild 911 with color, wings & wheels screaming "look at me" I'm done with that. Good luck in your search and don't forget to try a basic XKR...

Old 08-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I don't like your chances. With 100/yr. slated it will be tough. I'd suggest doing what I did: go to Jaguar NA sight where they actually give links to e-mails of administration and send an inquiry. There are at least a dozen in the US right now and most of them were in NJ. These cars go out all over the place via press cars and other stuff so one might get close to you. There's a lot to like and it would be the most extroverted of your three, depending on color. Was in the Audi showroom same day and they had a silver V10 R8 there. Great interior and so many good things written about the drive but the styling is not my taste. You can never go wrong with a 911 and oddly enough I've been finding myself attracted to a "simpler" car as in 911 C2/4 S and NOT Turbo, GT-3 etc. After having a wild 911 with color, wings & wheels screaming "look at me" I'm done with that. Good luck in your search and don't forget to try a basic XKR...
Great information. And I appreciate your opinion as well. Thanks! I'm going to try and find out what I can about the 'S', and perhaps revisit the XKR.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 PM
sandydlc is on a distinguished road
With 510 hp, the acceleration on this car is sick. When we took my XKR for a test drive, I found a remote highway and just hit the gas. The acceleration was almost scary. What's really great about this car is that if you just want to cruise around, grandma-style, it will do that for you too. It's really very versatile, with the best fit and finish on the interior that I've seen in a long time. It might even be more luxurious than my husband's 911 Carrera S.

Even if you're not in the market to buy a Jaguar - you should test drive an XKR. It's a phenomenal driving experience.

Sandy

Old 09-30-2011, 03:11 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sandydlc
With 510 hp, the acceleration on this car is sick. When we took my XKR for a test drive, I found a remote highway and just hit the gas. The acceleration was almost scary. What's really great about this car is that if you just want to cruise around, grandma-style, it will do that for you too. It's really very versatile, with the best fit and finish on the interior that I've seen in a long time. It might even be more luxurious than my husband's 911 Carrera S.

Even if you're not in the market to buy a Jaguar - you should test drive an XKR. It's a phenomenal driving experience.

Sandy
Several people have told me that if you drive one, you will be hooked. I can't wait to see if they are right.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by sandydlc

Sandy
The XKR-S comes with 550HP.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:59 PM
sandydlc is on a distinguished road
The XKR-S comes with 550HP.

Yes - but I'm not sure that the additional 40 horse warrants the additional ~$30 K that Jaguar is asking for. My 0-60 is 4.6 seconds and the XKR-S is 4.2. Not sure that I would ever notice the .4 second difference.

All this being said, I wouldn't turn down an XKR-S if someone wanted to give me a nice present!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New XKR