Other British Cars Jaguar, TVR, Rolls Royce, Morgan, Caterham, Noble & Range Rover

New Jaguar Sports Car: C-X16

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:27 PM
ryanlb is on a distinguished road
i'm excited to see what gets actually put out, jag just has to do something more interesting like this to stay relevant. i don't think it's too excessive or anything.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:15 AM
Velocitytrap is on a distinguished road
I'm bringing this thread up from the past since this car is so impressive. I have to hand it to Jaguar that they are FINALLY bringing this company back. I'm looking for something different. Especially for the same ole same ole BMW, Audi and Benz. I think this is the ticket. It has that little bit of elegance combined with a sporty look. Thumbs up!

Old 06-23-2012, 10:55 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Yeah, but we are talking about Jaguar here... A company with a 385HP V8.

Not the same thing.
... as well as a 500+ hp V8. Let's not forget that. Not the same thing, indeed.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:24 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
... as well as a 500+ hp V8. Let's not forget that. Not the same thing, indeed.
Isn't the V8 supercharged, though?

Old 06-25-2012, 02:07 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Isn't the V8 supercharged, though?
yep!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:53 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
yep!
But that's what I was saying... Other manufacturers get more out of an N/A V8 of similar displacement than Jaguar does with a supercharger.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:16 AM
But that's what I was saying... Other manufacturers get more out of an N/A V8 of similar displacement than Jaguar does with a supercharger.
That is not common. A 5.0 V8 (in 'Detroit terms', a small-block) N/A w/500+ HP and NO blower or turbos that is in current production on a production model vehicle? I'm drawing a blank on that one. lol Generally everyone is using some method of boost for the most part in their V8's to see 500 hp or greater today.

There may be a few, but quite few. 2012 MB GL550 sports a N/A 5.5L V8 with 382hp (same engine for last years' V8 S-class). In 2007 my wife's new car had a N/A 5.7 Hemi that had 360hp. (both examples are bigger blocks, btw) and this mid to upper 300's hp level is about par for these engines without any boost.

Today we see BMW w/turbos as well as MB just to cross the 400hp threshold w/ their V8 engines. AMG has gone the same direction to get 500+ HP. (sad to say...) IMHO, the 5.0L SC V8 in the Jag & Range Rover is a wonderful engine... great power for being about a 302 cu in engine. Impressive. YMMV.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:12 AM
That is not common. A 5.0 V8 (in 'Detroit terms', a small-block) N/A w/500+ HP and NO blower or turbos that is in current production on a production model vehicle? I'm drawing a blank on that one. lol Generally everyone is using some method of boost for the most part in their V8's to see 500 hp or greater today.

There may be a few, but quite few. 2012 MB GL550 sports a N/A 5.5L V8 with 382hp (same engine for last years' V8 S-class). In 2007 my wife's new car had a N/A 5.7 Hemi that had 360hp. (both examples are bigger blocks, btw) and this mid to upper 300's hp level is about par for these engines without any boost.

Today we see BMW w/turbos as well as MB just to cross the 400hp threshold w/ their V8 engines. AMG has gone the same direction to get 500+ HP. (sad to say...) IMHO, the 5.0L SC V8 in the Jag & Range Rover is a wonderful engine... great power for being about a 302 cu in engine. Impressive. YMMV.
I'll add that I think you got my point. For the displacement, Jaguar (and the previous Ford engines for that matter) usually runs lower HP for the average displacement ratio. This might be for reliability reasons, and I DO NOT fault Jaguar for this. I am FAR more likely to buy a reliable 400HP car, than an unreliable 500HP (reason I decided to not go with the Maserati). I have placed a lot more emphasis on Jaguar (until the Lotus prototypes debuted), because of the wonderful blend of quality, performance, comfort, and PRICE. There is a lot more support for Jaguar as well (as opposed to Lotus, Maserati, Aston, etc...).

I'm a fan of this new design (as I was with the XKR-S), and I will be keeping an eye on this. I'm digging the push-to-pass feature. No need to exploit full HP all of the time. Just let the engine relax until needed.

It may not be the nicest, most powerful, most luxurious car on the market, but it is probably the easiest one to own and live with every day.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:59 PM
I'll add that I think you got my point. For the displacement, Jaguar (and the previous Ford engines for that matter) usually runs lower HP for the average displacement ratio. This might be for reliability reasons, and I DO NOT fault Jaguar for this. I am FAR more likely to buy a reliable 400HP car, than an unreliable 500HP (reason I decided to not go with the Maserati). I have placed a lot more emphasis on Jaguar (until the Lotus prototypes debuted), because of the wonderful blend of quality, performance, comfort, and PRICE. There is a lot more support for Jaguar as well (as opposed to Lotus, Maserati, Aston, etc...).

I'm a fan of this new design (as I was with the XKR-S), and I will be keeping an eye on this. I'm digging the push-to-pass feature. No need to exploit full HP all of the time. Just let the engine relax until needed.

It may not be the nicest, most powerful, most luxurious car on the market, but it is probably the easiest one to own and live with every day.
I do understand your initial point, though I do disagree with it. That's ok. The BMW & MB engines are smaller & running boost to get 400 hp or up. (So are the likes of Ford, Chevrolet, and others domestics). I don't see any more intrinsic "safety" or reliability there.

The Maserati with that glorious N/A Ferrari 4.7 engine is certainly an exception to those that are in the 300hp+ range, and is definitely in the mid 400hp range (one of the very few of N/A V8 production engines); but with it you get a whole host of responsibilities, including a $2000+ yearly svc/tune. LOL. Special cars though. Personally, I see others as a greater overall value that perform as well, or better.

But that wouldn't keep me from a Maserati if I just had to have one.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 06-27-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by forsyther
There are lot many cars in the market and each car has its own specifications. They are featured specifically just to meet your everyday needs. Before you finalize any decision for a particular car, it is good to seek advice from an automobile engineer, or from a mechanic.
Some mechanics don't understand the cars they work on until they actually get a chance to work on a few... So the only time they'll know about it, is after something goes wrong, or until a while after it doesn't.

Automobile engineers have different philosophies about what works well. Some might say that pushrod engines are the future, while others might say the engine's center of gravity should be behind the rear axle.

It depends on personal preference, Jeremy Clarkson, and the opinions of strangers on internet forums.