Other Japanese Supercars Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 etc.

Nsx reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 03:20 PM
glowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to behold
Nsx

The one issue with the NSX is that early cars 1991and 1992 had a snap ring failure in teh transmission. Not all cars in those years had the problem but enough to mention. If is fails it will cost 2-3K to fix. Dont worry, this is the ONLY problem with NSX's and there is support in the NSX community for this.

I have a 1991 NSX Supercharged and I havent had any issues. I dont hear about people having snap ring issues on those cars anymore as I think most that would have had the problem have already had it. The cars are nearly 20 years old.

The NSX is, by far, the most inexpensive "supercar" you can own. It has a great following and great support.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 PM
calteg is on a distinguished road
How much are you seeing at the wheels with that s/c?

Old 12-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Francesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to behold
The NSX is a pretty bullet proof car when it comes to reliability. The only issue I have heard about is that when they break, it takes a while to get the parts since most dealerships do not stock NSX parts, and the labor is very expensive.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:36 PM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
Usually parts ship from Ohio take 3 business days to CA. If it is local then it will usually arrive next business day in So Cal. Labor rate is no higher than fixing an Integra. You pay more because most items on NSX are harder to get to.

Originally Posted by Francesco
The NSX is a pretty bullet proof car when it comes to reliability. The only issue I have heard about is that when they break, it takes a while to get the parts since most dealerships do not stock NSX parts, and the labor is very expensive.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:46 PM
KhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by calteg
How much are you seeing at the wheels with that s/c?
Depends on his exact setup, but most SC NSX's are making between 330whp and 400whp. Most off the shelf offerings yielded 350ish, and takes a bit of proper tweaking to hit the 400 range. These days we are seeing most new FI converts go the turbo route. I'm shooting for numbers that would make a Supra proud.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:57 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
My '91 dynoed about 345 to the wheels on a very conservative tune and 6psi.

My '03 looks like it's going to be 380 to the wheels once I get the fuel pump fixed. There's a new intercooler about to hit the market which should make it very easy to get 400-420 without even pushing. I can't wait.

My '91 has been bullet proof...they're great cars.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:35 AM
glowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to behold
My '91 dynoed about 345 to the wheels on a very conservative tune and 6psi.

My '03 looks like it's going to be 380 to the wheels once I get the fuel pump fixed. There's a new intercooler about to hit the market which should make it very easy to get 400-420 without even pushing. I can't wait.

My '91 has been bullet proof...they're great cars.
I just talked with Chris over at SOS yesterday. He said they are coming out with a higher displacemnt Autorotor for the NSX. (I believe 1.8 up to 2.2 but uses the same 6psi) Its a bolt on set up, but requires new injectors and fuel management. You can use the stock ECU. Chris said between 50-80 RWHP increase. It looked like it was a 5K upgrade when it was said and done.

You could easily keep reliability and get over 400 RWHP...I hate when Chris does that! . I didnt want to post it on Prime...I didnt want to steal his thunder.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:40 PM
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
I saw the SOS carbon widebody NSX in person last year. They are by far the best NSX shop in the country IMO. They know their stuff and they carry such a vast variety of parts for the NSX.

You guys are killing me though. Ive been debating between a Supra and an NSX for quite awhile. My dilema is kind of with the Mrs. If I get the Supra, Ill go big single on a built 3.0L. Hopfully yielding somewhere between 800-1khp. Her comment is "where can you use that kind of power on the street?" And, "you can't do anything but go in a straight line with that kind of power." I disagree, but its a big purchase and I obviously respect her opinion and have to get approval first.

If I go with the NSX, Ill want a built motor with a turbo kit from Spoolin' Performance. Not sure what the power numbers will yied, but it will be good. She likes the NSX more anyway because its a Honda/Acura product. Shes a harcore Acura fan. Don't know if I'll win on this one.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Nsx

Go with the NSX. It will handle easier, get more looks and be part of a small exclusive community. All around just good stuff.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:20 PM
KhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GSlider
I saw the SOS carbon widebody NSX in person last year. They are by far the best NSX shop in the country IMO. They know their stuff and they carry such a vast variety of parts for the NSX.

You guys are killing me though. Ive been debating between a Supra and an NSX for quite awhile. My dilema is kind of with the Mrs. If I get the Supra, Ill go big single on a built 3.0L. Hopfully yielding somewhere between 800-1khp. Her comment is "where can you use that kind of power on the street?" And, "you can't do anything but go in a straight line with that kind of power." I disagree, but its a big purchase and I obviously respect her opinion and have to get approval first.

If I go with the NSX, Ill want a built motor with a turbo kit from Spoolin' Performance. Not sure what the power numbers will yied, but it will be good. She likes the NSX more anyway because its a Honda/Acura product. Shes a harcore Acura fan. Don't know if I'll win on this one.
Not ******* SOS.. they are good people, but there are others of us in that world who hold our own. SOS does own the parts side of things however.

Buy an NSX and get your 8-1k hp.. Have your cake and eat it too. That's what I'm doing. BTW, never heard of the shop you are talking about, there are a few of us already building them within the NSX community.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Francesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to behold
SOS, Science of Speed, is a pretty well known shop with in the NSX community. I'm surprised you haven't heard of them.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:28 PM
CL65Captain is on a distinguished road
The best part of owning an NSX.... NEVER EVER PULLING UP TO A STOP LIGHT NEXT TO ANOTHER ONE!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:42 PM
FormulaC30 is on a distinguished road
Supercharged NSX FTW ...

Old 01-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant future
I miss mine.

I had a '94 that was a daily driver. It was fantastically reliable. I really miss it. You definitely felt like you were driving something unique in an NSX. They're just so rare and even now they're just beautiful. It turned tons of heads everywhere I went. If your coming from something more inconspicuous like a 911, it will be a bit of a shock at first.

Mine was sold to an ex-coworker and I know it is still running fine and I sold it with 100K+ miles on it.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant future
Agreed!!

Originally Posted by FormulaC30
Supercharged NSX FTW ...
Mine had a stock motor and the only problem was that over the years it just got relatively slower and slower as everything else got faster and faster. Another 100hp and upgraded brakes are a must. Wheels help make it look more modern too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nsx reliability?