Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Impression: Panamera 4s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Samir has a spectacular aura aboutSamir has a spectacular aura aboutSamir has a spectacular aura about
First Impression: Panamera 4s

I had a chance to swing by the local dealership that had a 4s. It's the only Panamera they have. I initially approached the car from the rear, looking at the tail light and asking myself, "Is that a Maxima?" That was dissappointing. This was a 4s black on black with PDK and the full leather option as well as the turbo wheels.

As I walked around the car, I didn't have anything stand out and scream "Porsche" at me. Yes, there are crests in the wheels and emblems, but none of the styling was stand-out distinctive besides the headlights.

Looking at the brakes of the car, I saw Porsche everywhere--the brakes are monsterous. The 19" turbo wheels leave a lot to be desired. Even though they hold meaty tires, they look like production car wheels, not Porsche wheels. They use a twin spoke 5 spoke pattern, but not like what's on the newest 911, which would have screamed so much more that this car is a Porsche. I think Porsche determined that most owners will be changing them, so they didn't really invest in choices right now. I think we'll see more choices down the road or from Tequipment. After a quick look at the engine bay, which reminded me of an older Mustang Cobra minus the supercharger (lots of room for mods like a turbo setup or different intake system), I sat down in the interior.

What sold me on Porsche from the first time I drove my Boxster was the intuitive placement of everything that I needed. I never found that in any car before, and this is only true of the 987/997 and newer interiors. The 986/996 series still has me hunting.

The initial glance at the interior had me pausing, reflecting on what looked like a standard passenger car interior, not the regular Porsche interior I've gotten so used to. As I sat down and started looking for controls, I found that even though it looks different, I find things just as quickly and efficiently. Kudos to Porsche on the interior. It will grow on me.

The seats had similar bolstering on the rear and sides as the standard 987/997 seats, but the lower portion didn't have as much side bolstering. I didn't have a chance to drive the car, so I wonder how well this will hold you in the seat during hard cornering.

I also sat in the back, as this is the reason for the car in the first place. I found that the back seats were the same as those in the front, with bolstering on the sides of the back of the seat but lacking on the base of the seat. The center console from the front extends into the back, making this a 4 person car only. The center console adds a cupholders as well as two 12v outlets, one with a lighter. The built-in armrests in the doors worked very well with the center pullout to make a very comfortable experience.

Looking at where you are going from the rear, however, is a completely different experience. Remember what it felt like riding in the back of your parent's car when you were younger? You couldn't see the road, couldn't see the front of the car, and couldn't see out the side windows. Well, this is kinda that feeling. You know you are a secondary passenger and the people up front are the ones having fun. All you can do is just hang on for the ride. But you also can feel how safe you are in the ****pit. In a sense, you feel like some important cargo that will get to its destination no matter what happens.

This is a car that has done what a Porsche does best--spark the imagination and fuel opinions. There are many that hate the look of the car. There are many that love it. I think it is a truly "form follow function" vehicle that will not be for everyone, and yet be everything to someone.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:12 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Samir
The 19" turbo wheels leave a lot to be desired. Even though they hold meaty tires, they look like production car wheels, not Porsche wheels. They use a twin spoke 5 spoke pattern, but not like what's on the newest 911, which would have screamed so much more that this car is a Porsche. I think Porsche determined that most owners will be changing them, so they didn't really invest in choices right now. I think we'll see more choices down the road or from Tequipment.
Great Review! I'm scheduled for a test drive tomorrow morning and looking forward to seeing just how it lives up to all of the reviews I've read that compare the ****pit to the 911.

As far as the new 997.2 Turbo wheels, Porsche announced a few weeks ago that the same 997.2 Turbo wheel design will be available on the Panamera. Porsche has already loaded those wheels into the Panamera configurator as well ($3,380 option). I'm with you, I don't think the wheel selection for the Panamera is all that great, but I do like the 20in RS Spider Design wheel.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:33 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wjohnson36
Great Review! I'm scheduled for a test drive tomorrow morning and looking forward to seeing just how it lives up to all of the reviews I've read that compare the ****pit to the 911.

As far as the new 997.2 Turbo wheels, Porsche announced a few weeks ago that the same 997.2 Turbo wheel design will be available on the Panamera. Porsche has already loaded those wheels into the Panamera configurator as well ($3,380 option). I'm with you, I don't think the wheel selection for the Panamera is all that great, but I do like the 20in RS Spider Design wheel.
OP: Great review wish you had the chance to drive it

wjohnson what time is your appt? Mine is at 930a

Old 10-16-2009, 12:45 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by globalm3
wjohnson what time is your appt? Mine is at 930a
It looks like I'll see you there, I'm at 9:30 as well. Dropping my C2S at the Service Sept at 9, then heading upstairs.

this is a bad idea for me. Only had my 911 since June...have NO NEED to be driving another car, especially a Porsche. I've heard the exhaust note is alluring...but probably not as sweet as my 911 sounded getting on to the Tollway this morning!

Old 10-16-2009, 12:52 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
It looks like I'll see you there, I'm at 9:30 as well. Dropping my C2S at the Service Sept at 9, then heading upstairs.

this is a bad idea for me. Only had my 911 since June...have NO NEED to be driving another car, especially a Porsche. I've heard the exhaust note is alluring...but probably not as sweet as my 911 sounded getting on to the Tollway this morning!
Nothing wrong with it at all I had 5 cars in 12 months, lost some $$ but im still alive..

I have to get something fixed on the GTS while I am there so look for me. Im in a White GTS with 22''

Old 10-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Samir has a spectacular aura aboutSamir has a spectacular aura aboutSamir has a spectacular aura about
Thank you for the compliments on the review. I didn't realize my quick thoughts would turn into one.

Definitely let me know your thoughts on the ride. I rented a 997TT when they first came out for a weekend in Dallas and fell in love with that car. With both of your experiences with the 911 platform, I think you guys can shed some good light on the overall driving experience in relation to the 911.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:25 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
saw one today at neillo porsche in rocklin ca. saw the adds was not impressed but in real life it truly a beauty, un real!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by globalm3
Nothing wrong with it at all I had 5 cars in 12 months, lost some $$ but im still alive..

I have to get something fixed on the GTS while I am there so look for me. Im in a White GTS with 22''
So what did you think? I think I saw your GTS being pulled up before you headed out....glad I brought my car in...apparently the serpentine belt was 'coming apart'. My annual maintenance turned into a life-saver!

Old 10-18-2009, 12:04 PM
So what did you think? I think I saw your GTS being pulled up before you headed out....glad I brought my car in...apparently the serpentine belt was 'coming apart'. My annual maintenance turned into a life-saver!
I love it but I drove a Turbo the other day and I dont think I can buy the 4s and be happy with it

I maybe waiting a few months and go for a Turbo, the wife said it was a go if I followed the rules.....

I love it and it will be a huge huge seller

Old 10-18-2009, 03:14 PM
ze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really nice
I drove back to back the S, 4S and Turbo, both on a coned handling course and on open roads. I found the S & 4S really well sorted, sharp and precise, and even playful, a real pleasure to drive except ... that they dramatically lack torque on open roads, especially at freeway speeds.

That set my expectations pretty high for the Turbo, but it is a completely different car, dynamically speaking. Nose heavy, intrusive PSM nanny, marginally faster on straights but a real nose-heavy porker.

This car is a bit like the Quattroporte. Exquisite in certain ways, but the S or 4S would leave me wanting A LOT in the engine dpt. Pics here.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Got a chance to do some extended driving n the new pan4S and have to say, I love it. I love the looks as well and the interior is about the nicest I have seen from a 4 door sedan. The one I drove has the RS Spyder wheels, which I absolutely love. The PDK coupled with 400 hp motor made for a very spirited drive in sport plus. Can't say enough positive about this vehicle. I love it.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by ze_shark
Pics here.
Excellent review and pics!

Old 10-19-2009, 09:32 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
i was going to schedule a test drive until i saw it in person. It was bulbous and looked as if the designer of the AMC Pacer got a job in Zuffenhausen IMO.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dcentric
i was going to schedule a test drive until i saw it in person. It was bulbous and looked as if the designer of the AMC Pacer got a job in Zuffenhausen IMO.

I remember the Pacer quite well. Hated it. But this car is awesome.